Special Characters
  • JDE
    Cross-posted from Kathy's thread about "cœlorum" vs. "cæli."

Here is a table of ALT + (number pad) combinations for special characters, including the various German Umlauts and the Latin and Spanish ones. I made it because I could no longer recall all of them off the top of my head after age 40 or so.
  • CharlesW
    Thanks! I need this.
  • chonakchonak
    Another help in typing accented characters is to configure the computer to recognize the keyboard in "US international" layout. Then you can combine a special key (in my case Right-Alt) with other keys to produce various special characters (such as accented á, é, í, ó, ú, and the ligature æ.

A set of stickers for the keyboard helps: they're available for a few bucks through Amazon:

photo 1
    photo 2
  • Also, for those who use Microsoft Word (not sure about other programs) it's incredibly easy to get most of these special characters: type Ctrl+` and then the letter e, and you will get è. Ctrl+Shift+^ and then e, you get ê. Ctrl+Shift+~ then n, and you get ñ. Ctrl+Shift+: then U, you get Ü. Ctrl+Shift+& then a or o, you get æ or the elusive œ. Etcetera, etcetera: you can read a full rundown here; scroll down a bit to the heading "International characters." Cheers --
  • JDE
    Mark, I was not aware of that feature in Word. What can I say? I'm old. Really old - old enough to remember AmiPro.

That's a great feature. But what happens in MS Word 2010 when they decide to change everything?

Of course I suppose they could change the Windoze character codes too, but the good news is that they also work in the lyrics tool in Finale, in WordPerfect, PageMaker, and so on.
  • gregpgregp
    I thought I saw this somewhere on the forum in years gone by - is there a way to produce the special characters for 'verse' and 'response' using any of these methods? You know, the special characters with the lines through the middle (I'm sure there are technical terms for them, but that's the problem with these internet thingies - if you don't know the correct term for something, it's hard to search for it.)

I've looked through the tables of characters and not found them.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I use the font Versiculum for the R/, V/, and A/. There's another font, liturgy.ttf, that contains those characters.
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • BenBen
    It seems the original attachment disappeared. @JDE, you still around?

• smvanroodesmvanroode
    For those who don't have the font Versiculum, here it is:

http://www.kleingraduale.nl/images/Versiculum.ttf

a = A/
    r = R/
    v = V/
  • BenBen
    I guess I could just bookmark a page like this, and copy and paste as needed...

http://ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm