St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 2601 San Ramon Valley Blvd., San Ramon, CA
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Director of Music: St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 2601 San Ramon Valley Blvd., San Ramon, CA 94583. Phone: (925) 830-0600, ext. 223 Email: frray@sjasr.org; website: www.sjasr.org
    Large suburban parish seeks a full time Director of Music. Candidate will participate in the planning/preparation of all liturgical celebrations, organize parish music groups, work toward expanding music programs, rehearse/evaluate choirs, musicians and cantors. Candidate must be familiar with the GIRM and Music in Catholic Worship, have keyboard skills, knowledge of other instruments, and skill as a music director. The candidate should be familiar with a power point system to facilitate singing at liturgical celebrations. Bachelor degree in Music or equivalent, Masters degree preferred. Salary according Diocese of Oakland guidelines, www.oakdiocese.org. Contact: Fr. Ray Zielezienski.
  • gregpgregp
    Because Power Point is such an important musical skill.....

Sorry, off to Confession....
  • francis
    Gregp

I think this means the hymns and such are projected on a screen during mass
  • gregpgregp
    I know.......
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Music in Catholic Worship is defunct - a dead letter.
  • G
    It might be an act of charity to contact this pastor and inform him, at the very least, that Sing to the Lord has replaced MCW.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • don roy
    so, why is it being advertised here?
  • IanWIanW
    I'd have my doubts, anyway, about a church whose patron saint is a troublesome French woman of dubious sanity (the fact that i'm English has nothing at at all to do with my prejudice).
  • francis
    Gregp

I figured you figured that out but I figured I might say it any way, just figuaratively speaking...
  • Richard R.
    None of my business, but wouldn't it be better to screen the ads you don't like, rather than pick at them once they're here?
  • I'm with Richard, I'd much rather have more jobs than less listed here.
  • don roy
    ryan
    yes but....
    theres a certain expectation that jobs posted here are going to be friendly towards the aims of this websight, indeed this organization. I also check over at npm where i use certain catch phrases to try and determine the musical direction of a particular job.Its not condescention, its just a strong desire to not waist anyones time, mine or the perspective employers. when one sees a job listing with a lot of the catch phrases indicative of a "contemporary" direction posted here, then one gets rightly confused and one must ask the question...
  • Kathy
    I would prefer just to make these kinds of judgments myself, or by private email, rather than on the public board. Let's be positive towards employers from the get-go.
  • GavinGavin
    Agreed with Kathy. If it looks like a bad job, use your God-given gift of intellect and don't apply. You don't have a duty to tell the whole internet that this or that church is not worth anyone's time.
  • don roy
    i agree with gavin and kathy for the most part. its good to remember that perspective employers read this thread as well. that being said i think its entirely appropriate to ask pertinent questions, just do so in a way that one would not be embarassed if a pastor happened upon said comment.
  • miacoyne
    But positive side of posting job like this is that if a new college graduate is looking for a job, it is good to see the 'reviews' of the jobs posted by others who are more experienced. (it helps them to save time and learn what to look for next?. Actually I didn't see much wrong here until someone pointed out. I would have asked why the power point skill. But what's worng with this French saint? )
  • Kathy
    Mia, I think that was a British joke.

I'm not sure why this other question constantly has to be discussed. Isn't it enough that some of us would like all the possible job postings to be advertised, and that critiquing them will discourage this?

I'd almost ask that job descriptions be posted as "no comment" posts. The problem with that is that some purely factual updates--deadlines, further information, the filling of the job--can be very helpful. Anyways I'm not in charge. But I wish that folks would show respect for other peoples' potential employers.
  • I am with Kathy on this--I would support job descriptions being posted as "no comments" posts, and any necessary updates posted via the moderators. One thing that cannot be judged from an advertisement is where the pastor's heart is vis-a-vis liturgy despite where his parish presently is. I personally know strong, orthodox priests placed in difficult parishes who are having to 'make haste slowly', and to prejudge their intended goals by the present state of the parish is, indeed, disrespectful and presumptuous, and certainly not the way to win hearts or support them.

Our Bishop's Delegate for Sacred Liturgy in the Forma Extraordinaria always reminds us musicians that we need to be 'winsome and welcoming advocates' for the EF and the reform of the reform.
  • mjballoumjballou
    It was my understanding that this forum design doesn't allow for a "no comments" format. So perhaps we have to do a little more "self policing" on these. Remember, as well, that job descriptions are often the work of search committees, where everyone has to put their oar in the water.
    And I second, third, etc. the comments of Kathy, Gavin (oh no, agreeing with Gavin again!), and Patricia Cecilia.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions