Sung Mass in Madrid?
  • IanWIanW
    Short notice, I know, but I find myself in Madrid on Saturday evening, and have no idea where and when I can find a sung mass (chant/ployphony) tomorrow morning. Any recommendations?

[Yes, I know this is the discussion board for an American Church music association, but some of you are well travelled ...]
  • There's a beautiful Mass by Institute Christ the King at Guzman el Bueno beside Cuatro Caminos on the Circular Metro line 6 every Sunday morning at 11am. Highly recommended! I've attached a map with the exact location marked with a green blob. The Church is actually part of a convent. Its name is "Iglesia de la Visitation". Here's their website:
    http://www.cristorey.eu/Pagina Principal.htm

Its sung, nearly always the Missa de Angelis. Hope to see you there!

[just discovered I can't load the image of the map for some reason, it won't accept jpegs. If you want I can e-mail you the directions. Send me a private message in that case.
  • IanWIanW
    Thanks, Brianocaithnia. Alas, it was a flying visit (Beethoven 9 in Valladolid). I wish (a) I'd known this when I was there and (b) that I were there now, sinking a cold beer at the cafe in the Retiro! [cue for Friday evening discussion on another thread ...]
  • I really like Valladolid. Saw some sweet manuscripts there. The plaza mayor has some great restaurants too.