• It's that time of year. Having gotten through Easter, the next undocumented liturgical event is looming in many parishes:

The Ritual Parting of Ways

Your musician/s may be unhappy. You may or not be aware of that. And you may be unhappy with your musician/s.

At this point, it makes sense for you to sit down and talk things over, especially if this is something you do not usually do. Find out what they are thinking and share your thoughts. It is a lot easier, and a better pastoral decision in most cases, to keep an employee than to replace and train, or be trained by, another one.

But this is nothing new. It's good business. So what else should you do? One thing, and this may be a valuable lesson for you.

Think about what people have been saying about the music and your musicians. Have comments been negative? Undoubtedly there are bound to be some. Take time to consider these carefully.

First, think about the actual complaint.

Second, think about why the person is complaining.

There is a power struggle in the Church today as lay people feel empowered to control the liturgy and music. Since the liturgy is pretty well cast in stone, the music is a much easier target.

Cantors, choir members, anyone involved in the music....which includes people in the pews who have opinions...all have much, much more power than they have ever had in the church before in history. Prior to Vatican II the role of the musician and the music was much more clearly defined. Without definition, a music program can today go in all different directions and becomes a much bigger target for people who want control.

People who complain about the music at Parish Council meetings are especially suspect. They are doing this to try and go over your head, thinking that a parish is a democratic organization. The same with people who show up at PC meetings to complain about the distribution of Communion and other liturgical matters.

Before you make or accept a decision that affects the employment of a musician, take time to think and pray.
  • GavinGavin
    Indeed. Too many people think "someone's complaining, therefore we need to change things." Sometimes a complaint just means you're doing everything perfectly.
  • I'm amazed that no one has any interest in providing helpful advice to pastors....
  • chonakchonak
    Noel, be patient.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think most pastors wouldn't take the advice of musicians in regards to dealing with musicians...
  • Well, that tells us what you think of pastors, but does nothing to assist pastors who might read this forum...so you should explain in detail what has led you to make such a negative statement to help them understand how not to act to end up with an musician being as disenchanted as you seem to be, disnechanted with a person who has given his life to God.

Remember, down deep they are people too. And some are musicians, so they may be heavily conflicted if they read your post and then try to take their own advice!

If I wanted advice on how to deal with a priest, I wouldn't ask a nun...I'd ask a priest.