Antiphonale Monasticum
  • MikeSFNM
    What is the difference between the Antiphonale Monasticum published by the Society of St John the Evangelist (Desclee & Co) in December 1934, and the Antiphonale Monasticum Pro Diurnis Horis Juxta Vota Rr. Dd. Abbatum Congregationum Confoederatarum Ordinis Sancti Benedicti a Solesmensibus Monachis Restitutum , published in January 1934? Does anyone know? Are they essentially the same? Did the Solesmes Monks give their fellow Benedictines a heads-up edition 12 months before a more general one was issued?

Does anyone know where I could obtain a 1963 edition of the Antiphonale Monasticum?

Mike
  • mahrt
    The 1963 edition of the Antiphonale Monasticum is simply a reprint of the 1934 Antiphonale Monasticum, with a supplement of 32 pages, copyright 1962, listing changes in the Antiphonale instituted in 1961, probably to bring it in line with the changes in the Roman Rite of that same year.

The copy of the 1934 edition I have must be the one from December, since it carries an imprimatur of May 1934, but it has the same longer title you list for January 1934, with the imprint of Desclee. Have you seen an edition from January 1934?

The Antiphonale Monasticum is still available from Solesmes; I would expect that it is the same edition with the supplement of 1964. You can order it directly from them on their web site; you might want to give them an inquiry about exactly what edition it is.
  • Geoff
    The Antiphonale Monasticum (AM) available from the Solesmes site is a reprint of the 1934 AM (Imprimatur 18 May 1934) without the 1963 AM additions. It also omits (for the purposes of book binding) sections of the 1934 AM that were no longer in use by 1962 (such as the Suffrage of All the Saints, etc.). However, it also includes portions of the Antiphonale Solesmensis (or however it's spelled) in the back, referencing feasts proper to the Congregations of Solesmes, as well as some chants for Benediction that were re-ordered to the new classification of feasts in 1962. As far as I know, the purpose of the reprint was to provide a source of antiphons to be used with the 1981 Psalterium Monasticum for the revised version of the Benedictine Divine Office. Click here for more info on various official chant books.