What's your favorite recording of chant? (any interpretation!)
  • marajoymarajoy
    I'm writing a paper for a class comparing different styles/interpretations of Gregorian chant. It would be helpful to have musical examples for each style.

So, while AVOIDING any discussion of which STYLE is "better," can you direct me to a recording (preferably available online,) which is either your favorite, or you consider to be a perfect/ideal example of a particular style of interpretation? (and say which interpretation, please!)

thank you!
  • GavinGavin
    I have a gag gift that a friend got me... jazz improvisations on Gregorian chants. That work? It's actually quite cool.. a Latin Victimae Paschali, kind of a techno-ish "Stabat Mater", some hot fusion, and so on.
  • JamJam
    Does it have to be Gregorian chant? Because your paper might become a lot more varied and fun if you include Byzantine chant, Cistercian chant, Corsican chant, etc. etc.

As far as Gregorian/Roman chant goes, my favorite is the really, really old stuff, which was still in Greek half the time. Ensemble Organum has a CD out from when they scoured old Vatican manuscripts and figured out how to sing them. Here's the CD I'm talking about. Unfortunately, they don't have samples on the website, but if you're interested in any of the tracks on that CD, I can email to you.

I would recommend listening to the Hec Dies, which has a particularly awesome use of ison, which is a characteristic of Byzantine chant. But this chant is in Latin, and was from Rome. I'll email it to you.
  • miacoyne
    It's interesteing to hear different groups singing the same chant. When my schola was learning "Qui Manducat," we listen to the same chant by Adorate Deum, Stepping Stone Chant Project with Olbash and Gloria Dei. We discussed the different style after the listening. It was a good learning experience.

But I really like Solesmes monks condcuted by Gajard.
    You can hear some in

http://isaacjogues.org/chants
    Listen to Pascha Nostrum , Easter Sunday Communio. It's just amazing.
  • @Mia

we listen to the same chant by Adorate Deum

Do you mean the Alberto Turco recording entitled "Adorate Deum"? I only ask because I was thinking of using the name for my own schola :) Please let me know if someone else has snatched it up before me!
  • miacoyne
    Ooops, you are right, Adam. Now you'd better hurry, because I like it myself :-)
  • If you can find them, try recordings by the Wiener Hofkapelle. This ensemble serves as the Tenor/Bass sections for
    the Vienna Boys Choir. The ensemble singing is very elegant. With the VBC, they maintain the tradition of singing the
    High Mass at the Hofburg Kapelle every Sunday in Vienna.
  • Pes
    Turco's Nova Schola Gregoriana is very fine indeed. "Adorate Deum" is a good sampler, but they're all good. Alessio Randon, one of his soloists, also directs "Aurora surgit," a women's group, which is also wonderful. David Eben's Schola Pragensis is superb, similar in style. Their chants for the liturgical year disc is wonderful. All three groups are loosely "semiological" in style.

Schola Hungarica, directed by Laszlo Dobszay, are reported to be absolutely terrific, but I haven't heard them -- I'm glad to see this thread, since it's an inducement to explore them! Discography: http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/performers/hungarica.html

For Old Roman Chant, I second very strongly the Ensemble Organum: you really can't go wrong.

Variations on the Solesmes approach? The monks of Einsiedeln sing riveting chant on an older compilation called "The Tradition of Gregorian Chant" or something. (I'm typing this on the fly.) Solesmes recordings are of course of unquestioned value. "Cantores in ecclesia" do a beautiful job. The Vienna Hofburgkapelle under Hubert Dopf was excellent. Get the recordings with him from the early eighties (I have the Immaculate Conception Mass, which is lovely), and of course bear in mind that their pronunciation is not Italianate but German.
  • Ooops, you are right, Adam. Now you'd better hurry, because I like it myself :-)

Semi-official stake of claim:

Adorate Deum Schola Cantorum, Directed by Adam Bartlett, © April 10, 2010

:)
  • incantuincantu
    Here are three readings of Pascha nostrum. For the sake of comparison, I used the pitches from the Gregorian missal, even when they differ from what the St. Gall notation suggests.

In this proportional reading, I apply a strict ratio of 2:1 between the short and long notes, according to the St. Gall notation.

For this structural reading, I treat all non-structural notes as ornamental, and therefore light (except at cadences, where the dissonances are prolonged).

This is my best effort (well, in a single take on a whim) at a Classical Solesmes reading. Even though I have extensive experience singing according to this method, it was actually the most difficult for me to perform for a chant that I already knew because I had to try to fit the melody I knew into the rules of this interpretation.

All of these would sound better with a choir, and in a church (rather than a soloist in my living room). I think the structural reading in particular would sound good with an organ or vocal drone supporting the structural note(s).

I know this is not supposed to be a discussion of which way is "better," but I can tell you that what I prefer to do most often is somewhere between the proportional and structural readings. I must admit, though, that I had the most fun singing proportionally, and it almost made me want to go and write polyphony! I'd have trouble using the other readings as a basis for composition.
  • mjballoumjballou
    My favorite recording is the one of the Gregorian Requiem done by the Gloria Dei Cantores Schola. Their style was shaped by the late Dr. Mary Berry and it includes a number of the antiphons and psalms. The interpretations have a nice sense of movement and not too much reverb (which makes some chant recordings sound like they were done in the bottom of a well).
  • I would have to list Turco's work as, in my opinion, the finest. In addition, I am moved by Chanticleer's work, even if it is somewhat removed from a liturgical environment and ethos. Art, after all, is an act of God and is surely pleasing to him (and aedifying to us) in or out of Divine Worship. There are, also, times when I take pleasure in the stodgy, all wrong and rather wooden style of many English choirs. This is, at best, no worse than the groaning mumble of an organ accompaniment. The work of Marcel Perez and his ensemble organum is commendable in its daring to imagine the sound of our distant ancestors. They may be somewhat off, but, methinks, not by far. Also commendable is the Choralschola der Wiener Hofburgkapelle, and Stirps Iesse among other Italian groups. My least-liked are most any French or Spanish chant.
  • BGP
    My favorite recordings are of Scola Gregoriana Brugensis according to their website "he pioneering and the performing practice of the monks of Solesmes inspired the style of the Scola. Besides that the choir is open for new discoveries and a justified approach of the Gregorian seminology." They sound similar to old Solesmes but more fluid I think.
    you can here sound samples here http://www.buy.com/prod/gregorian-chant-requiem/q/loc/109/60468584.html
  • incantuincantu
    One of my choir members just sent me this recording of our actual performance of Pascha nostrum from Easter Sunday. We unfortunately did not rehearse the chant except for about 15 minutes during our rehearsal before Mass, and we had one very loud singer who, buried in his Communio book and not watching my chironomy, sang very square notes indeed. As you can hear, it actually gets better as it goes on. But it never sounds like any of the example readings I gave above.

When I was demonstrating Hoc corpus for Holy Thursday, one of my singers said that I never sing the rhythms like that when he and I chant together, and my answer was, "Exactly." When singing chant, one must submit to the group; there is only so much that one can do by leading either with their voice or with their hand. So as much as we talk about which interpretation we prefer, I can't really say this performance is my "interpretation" of the chant (as can be heard in the post above), only my "performance" of the chant, and really, only my performance that one day.
  • Simon
    This is an interesting ensemble from the Netherlands. Here's the link to bits on YouTube with St. Gall neumes following the music:
    http://www.gregoriana.nl/0218live-recordings.htm

The Schola Santae Sunnivae (a female choir from Norway) is also excellent. Very fluid sound. See this link for samples from their recordings: http://www.musicfromnorway.com/default.aspx?norwegian=artist&music=3679

They also released a recording with a male ensemble called Hartkeriana called Officium et missae in nativitate Sancti Ioannis Baptistae. It's a double CD published in Norway. Plainsong & Medieval Music called it the best CD of the year (2007 I believe). See to order and listen to snipets:
    http://www.kkv.musiconline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=31012