Abp. Gomez of San Antonio
  • Chrism
    According to Internet rumor, he is in line to replace Cardinal Mahony.

Thoughts?

Update: It's now official.

Il Santo Padre ha nominato Arcivescovo Coadiutore dell’Arcidiocesi di Los Angeles (U.S.A.) Sua Eccellenza Reverendissima Monsignor José Horacio GÓMEZ, finora Arcivescovo di San Antonio.
  • rollingrj
    I had heard that perhaps Bishop Olmsted of Phoenix would be named co-adjutor. This makes better sense.
  • Kathy
    I thought this was remarkably clever: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BB2CEUhgSSY/S51bCt8Vt8I/AAAAAAAAGIo/_0wM2H6VZpU/s1600-h/RCLA2010.jpg

I think a Latino archbishop in L.A. makes perfect sense. Long time coming...
  • Soon and very soon...
    Couldn't resist.

Pray for the next Abp.
    The man will have a huge cross.
  • Chrism
    Rorate has some hopeful tidbits of information about Abp. Gomez's tenure in San Antonio.
  • CharlesW
    I just saw this, so according to St. Google the all-knowing, and AP, it's true.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iw-izdbv_bBWqUOx-NjF5avTiOAQD9ETGLL81
  • rollingrj: Olmsted would make better sense? Could you elaborate, give reasons? I am not challenging you or saying you are wrong, just want to hear your thinking.

I thought Gómez was a good choice because he has a reputation for strictness and orthodoxy and should make a good cleanup man for LA. I don't know anything about Olmsted, hence my question to you.
  • Kathy
    Not sure what rollingrj's reasoning is, but I've been hearing great things about Bishop Olmsted for years from young Phoenix Catholics. His teaching is clear, he fosters vocations and ministries of all kinds.

Isn't it wonderful, that there are so many excellent bishops around?
  • CharlesW
    Yes, it is wonderful. Thanks be to God.
  • BTW, several sources say Gómez is a former Opus Dei member. I can't find any comment on how or why he came to be "former". Anybody know anything about this?
  • CharlesW
    I just read an article that Gomez is more conservative than Cardinal Mahony. Is that an understatement, or what?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/04/mexicoborn-archbishop-to-lead-los-angeles-catholics.html
  • eft94530eft94530
    Cordileone ... Gomez ... who is next?

Continue those prayers for California! There are two more openings soon ...
    http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/bus75.html
  • rollingrj
    Joseph, it was something I saw on the 'net. Can't remember the article. My only reasoning is if he cleaned up what problems there were in Phoenix, he might do as well in LA.
  • Please take this comment for just what it's worth, an observation, not a speculation.
    Our locally owned Catholic television station broadcast the principal Sunday Mass from San Antonio for years up until recently. I don't have a clue nor will I research whether the good archbishop presided over the archdiocese during that period.
    That said, most of the liturgical music heard during those broadcasts did not exemplify what I would consider cathedral-level practice. Maybe things have changed recently. I would hope.
  • rollingrj: Could be that they are equally, if not identically, qualified.

I have had the impression from several articles that putting in a mexican-born archbishop was part of the selection, considering how heavy the LA latin population is.

What about the Opus Dei angle, anyone? I am intrigued that a former OD member was chosen, and I am intrigued as to why he is a "former" member.
  • Kathy
    My understanding is that he is a current, professed member of Opus Dei. He has a strong theological background as well.
  • I saw one place that said current member, can't find it now.
  • What an Easter gift from the HF!
    Here in San Diego, we have been waiting so long.

Eft, I'm with you. Two great appointments- who's next? Good times.
  • BruceL
    JM,

He definitely is still a member of the Work. In fact, he is the only numerary member of Opus Dei in the US that is also a bishop.

I don't know Gomez's liturgical tendencies as regards music, but otherwise Opus Dei always has very, very well celebrated Masses. One can only hope that influences practice in LA.
  • eft94530eft94530
    In case anyone missed the story,
    the handoff was completed on Sunday, February 27, 2011 ...

Cardinal Roger Mahony passes leadership of L.A. Archdiocese to Jose Gomez

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-catholic-transition-20110228,0,6713493.story
  • benedictgal
    I can only hope that he can stop the silliness that is the LA Religious Education Congress. I just saw some of the stuff on tap and it does not look good (not that it ever has).
  • benedictgal
    Archbishop Gomez was our Metropolitan, as my diocese is a suffragen of San Antonio's. He undid a lot of the stuff that Archbishop Flores had done and really turned San Antonio around for the best. Archbishop Gomez cares about the integrity of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Our loss is LA's gain. It's just too bad that he had to leave the Spurs for the Lakers.
  • eft94530eft94530
    stuff on tap

"Hold Firm ... Trust"

Uh oh.
  • chonakchonak
    If Abp. Gomez remains a member of the clergy of the prelature of Opus Dei, any obligations in law arising from his commitment to it ended when he became a bishop. At least that's what happens to religious order bishops.
  • benedictgal
    I can only hope that he will eventually put an end to the silliness that is the LA Religious Education Congress.
  • Mark P.
    "I can only hope that he will eventually put an end to the silliness that is the LA Religious Education Congress."

You can thank Sr. Edith Prendergast for the nonsense that is the Religious Education Congress.