• PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I would like to have choral vespers with my schola. I am familiar with vespers in general, but where can I find the "propers" for them? Everything I find suggests a hymn at the beginning, but is there a PROPER text or hymn, or does the Church actually say "sing a seasonal hymn"?

Where can I find the correct psalms and antiphons for a particular day? The one site I found only lists them about a week in advance, and in order to prepare, we need many weeks in advance.

Any help is appreciated.
  • Kathy
    PaixGioiaAmor,

I'm assuming N.O. in English, correct?

Psalms and antiphons are in any regular breviary. Although the breviary isn't cheap, I'd say it's indispensable to have if you're doing this regularly, and you only have to buy one of the four volume set at a time. There is a companion booklet to the breviary that is like an ordo.

The hymns in the Liber Hymnarius are pretty nicely organized. You'll usually find hymns with a substantial tradition for most seasons and feasts. I would check the Liber H. and then check these sources for translations: Summit Choirbook, Mundelein Psalter, and google.

The liturgy of the hours is an adventure. For me, it was the breviary that confirmed my hopes that Catholicism has the scope and breadth of prayer that I needed at the time. Now I feel the same way about the Graduale--but that's another story.
  • chonakchonak
    You don't really have to get the four-volume edition in order to get the proper antiphons. The one-volume "Christian Prayer: Liturgy of the Hours" omits most texts for the "Office of Readings", and omits some material for the daytime offices, but is complete for Lauds and Vespers.
  • eft94530eft94530
    paix: or does the Church actually say

Ordinary Form (OF)
    General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours (GILH)
    http://www.fdlc.org/Liturgy_Resources/general_instruction_of_the_liturgy_of_the_hours.htm