Anima Christi
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    See what you think of this edition.

I don't know the source

• rollingrj
    The chant melody is very good. The French could be awkward at the end.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    really nice!

looks to me like a 1903 Solesmes edition
  • JDE
    That's not meant as a singing translation, just a running literal translation of the Latin.
  • JDE
    Yep. It would be really awkward unless you went with the Charles Aznavour method of French ellisions.
  • miacoyne
    Very nice. Thanks.
  • BenB
    UPDATE:

Many thanks to Jeffrey for posting this here, 'twas I who sent it to him originally. The source is the book Laudemus Dominum, published 1923 by Desclee. Full title:

Laudemus Dominum
    Recueil de Chants Liturgiques, de Motets et de Cantiques
    Par une Reunion de Professeurs
    Imprimatur. Tornaci, die 30 Augusti 1923. V. Cantineau, Vic. Gen.

According to the front matter, this Anima Christi and a few other chants were composed specifically for this volume. The book consists of the Kyriale, Vespers and Compline for Sundays and Feasts, followed by other chants and motets (many with the interlinear French traslation as seen above). There are also a variety of French hymns, followed by a supplement with Offices for French Saints (St. Joan of Arc, St. Jean-Baptiste de la Salle, etc.) and a supplement with multi-part motets (arranged for enfants et hommes). Hopefully I can upload some of the more salient and rare music from the volume. This book has yet to be digitized, but hopefully this can be remedied in the near future, as the only volume we have is falling apart.
  • mahrt
    Interestingly, the composer has imitated the form of a sequence: aa bb cc . . . z, i.e. pairs of lines on the same melody, with a single melodic line in conclusion.
  • Thank you for this post.
    Extemely exquisit and beautiful! Especially the lines of "Passio Christi, conforta me" and "O bone Jesu, exaudi me" are touching.
    I have another version of Anima Christi.
    I found it on a site. I don't know the source.