Liberties in the Easter Vigil - Liturgy of the Word etc
  • artdob
    Interested in group perspective on the Easter Vigil Holy Saturday service at my parish this weekend.

The first reading is being done in a setting that alternates the lector and choir (oohing, aahing, mimicking birds throughout, etc.)

Following the first reading, the psalm is eliminated

The third reading (Exodus 14:15 - 15:1) is not proclaimed by the lector - rather it is entirely performed by the cantor and choir in a setting by Cooney.

Following the third reading, the psalm is eliminated

The script for the fourth reading indicates "The fourth reading is a musical rendition of the marvelous passage from the Book of the Prophet of Isiah" (to which the choir sings "Come to the Water)

...and yet again, no psalm.

And no additional "readings" following the placeholder for number 4.

Is it just me, or does this programming described above appear odd and/or incorrect? I suspect it is not permissible to eliminate psalms arbitrarily. I'm not sure if the readings for Holy Saturday are also optional (though over the years, I have seen more often than not several prescribed readings eliminated so as to "not make the service too long."

Liturgical documents are referred to by the pastor as useless academic treatises stemming from the latest thesis documents, so why follow it. Pointing out a reference to the GIRM, etc, accomplishes little other than receiving a reprimand by the pastor and the label of "purist."

P.S. - On another Holy Week note, I'm struggling in reconciling the edict that we are not yet to use the new translation of the Roman Missal, say for the Gloria. Yet at my parish tomorrow evening, we'll be singing "Gloria" by George Salazar. The setting is in Spanish - published by OCP. So I only had four years of Spanish in High School, but know enough that the words in this setting are not the words of the Gloria. But since the word "Gloria" is repeated over and over in the refrain, and the music is happy-happy, and the parish gets to check the "bilingual" box as fulfilled, it apparently is just fine with everyone else.

Have found a nearby parish offering Tridentine services. Feel I am close to making my exit (after serving as organist for 24 years) from my current parish where Novus Ordo appears to have taken on a life of its own. Am I overreacting?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Most folks (other than hardline Tridentine-only folks) agree that the Novus Ordo Easter Vigil is better than the 1962 Missal one.

As far as what your Parish is doing, of course it's wrong to alter the readings in any way.

Your Parish may eliminate several readings, however.
    From PASCHALES SOLEMNITATIS:
    "Where, however, pastoral conditions require that the number of readings be reduced, there should be at least three readings from the Old Testament, taken from the Law and the Prophets; the reading from Exodus chapter 14 with its canticle must never be omitted.[91]"

As far as the Psalms, I remember the Canadian Bishops saying that Psalms could be removed at the Vigil and replaced with a longer period of silence. I don't think I've seen anything about that since I've been in the United States, so I'm guessing that here you must sing the Psalm. And they must be the right Psalm.
    From PASCHALES SOLEMNITATIS:
    "Each reading is followed by the singing of a psalm, to which the people respond.
    Melodies should be provided for these responses which are capable of promoting the people's participation and devotion.[92] Great care is to be taken that trivial songs do not take the place of the psalms."

The Novus Ordo can certainly be celebrated well but it requires trained musicians, supportive Pastors and a willing congregation. Musicians can be trained and congregations can be convinced..... it's just that one fellow who's really needed. Pray for more of them.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Can psalms during the vigil be eliminated? Yes. The Sacramentary says that the prescribed psalm is sung or there is silence.

Can readings be eliminated? Technically, yes, but it is discouraged. They may be eliminated for "pastoral reasons", which are not closely defined and the definition of which appears to be left up to local authorities (bishop, pastor).

Readings may be sung - but the birdcalls and other junk is not quite licit.

Would I leave if I were you? Yes. Not sure if I'd go the Tridentine route, but I'd find a nice parish that at least celebrates the liturgy reverently, perhaps chanting the psalms and using decent music instead of Rory Cooney junk.
  • CharlesW
    We read all readings, sing all 7 psalms, mass parts, and responses. The service is 3 and 1/2 hours long, and the pastor doesn't want anything left out. Getting into the 3rd hour, I am tired and would like to throw something out, but it will never happen.

Yes, I would look around for another job. Are there other parishes in your area where things are not so bad?
  • Donnaswan
    Ditto CharlesW for our Service. And this year it doesn't start till 8:30. We also have brass quintet and tymps beginning with the Gloria. And half of the 7 psalms are either bilingual or entirely Spanish. And the Bishop and all his 'retinue' LOL

I just got home from a 2 1/2 hour reherasal for all of Triduum and Easter Sunday. would be nice to cut down on Psalms,but wouldn't be the same.

Donna
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    artdob,

I can appreciate that you have a long history in your parish, and that as organist you make as least some of your living working there. I am only a volunteer choir member, and have nowhere near the history in my parish that you do. However, your description of the Easter Vigil and the attitude of your pastor make me think that the situation is unworkable for one who thinks obedience to the Church's liturgy is required. Not agreeing with a style of music, or instrumentation, or having personal conflicts with a staff is one thing. Working under a pastor who has no regard for even trying to do what the Church says is completely different.

For me, I look for a parish where the priest AT LEAST uses the right words at mass. If that is lacking, and no common authority is recognized, then there seems to be no way forward. I would leave, and find a parish that AT LEAST celebrates the ordinary form according to the Missal.
  • incantuincantu
    Before I came to my current parish, they would do a "dramatic reading" that "combined all seven lessons into one," with no psalms. All it took to change that tradition was to start with three readings only, and three exquisite psalms or canticles. We've worked our way up to five readings with psalms in a variety of styles (Simple English chant, melismatic Gregorian chant, falsobordone, Renaissance polyphony) all sung unaccompanied. This has become one of the favorite parts of the vigil for many parishioners.
  • eft94530eft94530
    In the 1990s I recall visiting a parish which replaced the Liturgy of the Word with a loud and long something
    featuring mime-in-the-spotlight accompanied by off-stage-microphoned-voices and CD-boom-box music.
    I was deprived of Scriptures inspiring my imagination as the darkness made plain the Easter candle flame.
    At least when the lights came up, the Gloria and the rest of the liturgy was by the book.

There is no way the human theatrical efforts can favorably affect people
    in any way quite as well as the way of divine grace in the stark simplicity.
    All these years later I still recall that uncomfortable feeling inside
    at being forced to endure an agenda and interpretation,
    and am therefore attentive to helping the liturgy unfold as the Church desires.

artdob: "Am I overreacting?"

No. You are being sensitive to the quiet voices who pray for proper liturgy.
    It is a matter of justice, giving to another what is owed to them.
    It is also obedience (use your browser ctrl-F to search for conclusion)
    http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/innews/1102.shtml
    Are there vocal parishioners convincing the pastor toward what you describe?
    Are there parishioners who challenge the pastor if it diverges from the missalette?
    Pray for courage.
    The rest of us should pray for you, too, especially those of us who are in less trying circumstances. I will tonight.

By the way, nobody has mentioned that each psalm is followed by a prayer;
    are some parishes ignoring or replacing them?

My parish will start the vigil at 9 pm and is using all seven reading-psalm-prayer sets.
  • Only you can make this decision, of course. I am in a position right now to attend the TLM every Sunday, but I choose to help our cathedral raise the bar liturgically and musically since they seem to really want to. In your case, without other options, find peace in the traditional Mass.