Chironomy Question for Christus Factus
  • How are you addressing the chironomy In Christus Factus Est for the phrase "mortem autem?" Would all all the DO's: of the pressus, the dot, and the virga be arsic and the virga on SI also arsic . What do you think? It seems to require too much gesture.
  • I direct it as an arsic, rising thetic, thetic or arsic, arsic, thetic for ease. Look at the syllables. MOR-tem AU-tem CRU-cis. In general the accent gets the arsic and the rest get thetic. At least that's how my recording of Solesmes sounds.

*edit... I just listened to my Schola Bellarmina CD and they sing it arsic, arsic, arsic (for the three DO's) but there is a gradual decrescendo with the climax at the first DO.
  • Thanks. I have tried it both ways and the arsic, arsic arsic, seems to help the the choir through all the different alternations of long and short. notes. I like the arsic arsic, arsic DO's (though descending a bit). This creates an attraction or relationship between all the long notes. the pressus will alway seem to attract another pressus.