Palm Sunday Gospel Acclamation
  • jpanza
    I'm a little confused - are we supposed to sing a Gospel Acclamation (i.e. "Praise to you, Lord, Jesus Christ") before the Passion Gospel on Palm Sunday in the novus ordo?
  • Yes, and there's a Gospel acclamation verse for that day:

"Christ became obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every other name."

There's also variants of that text due to English translations.
  • The acclamation is sung, but the customary responses before and after the gospel are not.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    M. Jackson Osborn, could you please give a reference for this? As far as I could see, the Ordo Lectionum Missae doesn't mention this and neither does the GIRM.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • chonakchonak
    smvanroode, the rubrics in the current Roman Missal for Palm Sunday say that the Passion is proclaimed without candles, incense, or the usual salutation.

21. Historia Passionis Domini legitur absque luminaribus et
    absque incenso, sine salutatione et signatione libri. Legitur autem
    a diacono vel, ipso deficiente, a sacerdote. Legi potest etiam a lectoribus,
    parte Christi, si fieri potest, sacerdoti reservata.
    Diaconi, non autem alii, ante cantum Passionis, petunt benedictionem
    sacerdotis, ut alias ante Evangelium.

[The story of the Passion of the Lord is read without candles and
    without incense, without greeting and signing of the book. It is read
    by a deacon, or, if one is lacking, by a priest. It can also be read by lectors,
    with the part of Christ, if possible, reserved to a priest.
    Deacons, but not others, before the singing of the Passion, ask the blessing
    of the priest, as otherwise before the Gospel.]
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    If someone could type this out very clearly, I think this would help many people.
  • chonakchonak
    I suppose it would be good to bring together the instructions in the Roman Missal with those in the Graduale and the Lectionary. Is that what you're thinking of, Jeff?