Palm Sunday Mass from Rome
  • daniel
    I heard a lot of Taize during the papal Mass yesterday, which surprised me. Maybe because it was the start of World Youth Day? It got me thinking - music from Taize does seem to fulfill the requirements of Sacred Music (universal, beautiful, holiness of sound). Thinking about using some of it next year. Anyone agree?
  • Donnaswan
    Only if I'm having trouble falling asleep

Donna
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I am a great fan of Taize, and I become a bigger fan every day.

I was looking through a Taize book in my office with has a setting of the Introit for Easter 6 along with the proper psalm. The refrain is very simple and easily repeatable, and is in latin. And the musical structure and "catchyness" would warm the hearts of even the contemporary ensemble.

Who other than the Taize community can make congregational chanting of the proper, in latin, "mainstream"?
  • We had a lot of success with Taize pieces in college, in three particular situations:

1) Solemn processions, where the congregation COULD actually manage to sing and walk, and pray, at the same time. I had not yet even heard the word "propers," so I made no attempt to schedule them. But the Taize refrain, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom", a cappella, alternating wide varieties of harmonies over the steady refrain, was exceptionally poignant during the veneration of the Cross, one Good Friday.

2) Communion, during very small Masses held on retreats, etc. These were usually Masses held in small private chapels, or (please don't be scandalized) in living rooms, with 8-12 people, no instruments, minimal written music. Everything required would be present, but the environment was very simple. A Taize refrain was perfect; easy to time, easy for people to drop and pick up again as they received communion, easy to alter, pensive and lovely.

3) Special Taize services during Advent and Lent, where many refrains were sung by candlelight by folks especially gathered for the purpose, sometimes after Vespers.

Every time we tried something else (Offertory or Communion during a regular Mass, or with instrumental accompaniment, ESPECIALLY the fancy flute lines), it either tanked, or we nearly fell asleep doing it. I'm not sure if that's because of the nature of Taize, or because of our own community and choir.
  • Is this Taize? Anima Christi (Frisina) . We love it. We will sing this for Holy Thursday, and on Easter, along with Mass XI and Christus Factus.
    Taize music realy taxes our choirs endurance, but it has made Latin a familiar language again. And from Taize the acceptance of Gregorian Chant was inevitable. I'm sure we would not be singing Latin propers if we had not gone through a smattering of Taize.
    We sing " In Manus Tuas," and "Jesus Remember Me" We repeat them three times- that's all!

Anima Christi score
  • chonakchonak
    The style is similar, but Frisina is a priest in Italy. Here's a page with some basic info and links to more videos:

http://www.last.fm/music/Marco+Frisina
  • Chonak: I visited the site which you posted and found this video. Scream and runaway! It the bakers' dance. The Holy Father's expressed so much in this clip.
  • chonakchonak
    To give credit where it's due, their religious dancers (I won't say "liturgical" since the event appears to be a concert) dress much better than ours.

A peaceful triduum to you!