Who here knows the Psalms?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

I need approximately five Psalm tone verses to add to these titles.

Can you help me? If so, please quote the entire verses in Latin (cut and paste). Please do not just give the references. THANKS!

Don't try to do ALL of them . . . just one is fine!

Desidero, Mi Jesu

O Salutaris Hostia

Anima Christi

Domine, Non Sum Dignus

Sicut Novellae

Ave Sacer Christi Sanguis

O Sacrum Convivium

Panis Angelicus

Tantum Ergo

Te Decet Laus

Paratur Nobis Mensa

O Sanctissima
  • Kathy
    Jeff, do you want Psalms to coordinate with these? Not quite sure what you need...
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Yes: Psalms that go nicely with the theme of those texts.

For instance, I would not want "Miserere mei Deus" for O Sanctissima.
  • JamJam
    Panis Angelicus would go well with Psalm 33:7-11. Especially wonderful because it talks about a "poor and humble servant" consuming the Lord...

from the Vulgate and "New Latin" translation

- hic pauper clamavit et Dominus exaudivit de omnibus tribulationibus salvabit eum
    Behold, the poor man cried, and the Lord heard, and helped him out of all his troubles.

- circumdat angelus Domini in gyro timentes eum et eruet eos
    The angel of the Lord encamps round those who fear him, and he rescues them.

- gustate et videte quoniam bonus Dominus beatus vir qui sperat in eo
    Taste and see how good the Lord is; happy the man who takes refuge in him.

- timete Dominum sancti eius quoniam non est inopia timentibus eum
    Fear the Lord, you his faithful ones, for nothing is wanting to those who fear him.

- leones indiguerunt et esurierunt quaerentibus autem Dominum non deerit omne bonum
    The powerful have become poor and hungry; but they who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing.
  • chonakchonak
    Since 'Sicut novellae' is already a reference to Psalm 127:3, that's the place to look for additional verses:

http://www.veritasbible.com/drb/compare/lvb/Psalms_127

1 Beati omnes, qui timent Dominum, qui ambulant in viis eius.

2 Labores manuum tuarum quia manducabis: beatus es, et bene tibi erit.

3 Uxor tua sicut vitis abundans, in lateribus domus tuæ. Filii tui sicut novellæ olivarum, in circuitu mensæ tuæ.

4 Ecce sic benedicetur homo, qui timet Dominum.

5 Benedicat tibi Dominus ex Sion: et videas bona Ierusalem omnibus diebus vitæ tuæ.

6 Et videas filios filiorum tuorum, pacem super Israel.
  • rich_enough
    Jeff,

This is too long to post so I've attached it.

Hope it helps.

Sam Schmitt
  • rich-enough,

I tried opening your file but couldn't. I'd like to see what you've sent Jeff before I work on this myself.

Blessings,
    Paul
  • chonakchonak
    I couldn't open the file either -- I think the forum software corrupts .doc attachments -- but I scraped this much of the contents. A few "ae" and "oe" digraph characters are missing, so check these texts against an on-line Vulgate before putting them to use:

Panis Angelicus - Psalm 77 (78):23-25
    23 Et mandavit nubibus desuper, et januas c�li aperuit.
    23 And he had commanded the clouds from above, and had opened the doors of heaven.

24 Et pluit illis manna ad manducandum, et panem c�li dedit eis.
    24 And had rained down manna upon them to eat, and had given them the bread of heaven.

25 Panem angelorum manducavit homo; cibaria misit eis in abundantia.
    25 Man ate the bread of angels: he sent them provisions in abundance.

Sicut novellae - Psalm 127 (128):3
    3 Uxor tua sicut vitis abundans in lateribus domus tu�;
    filii tui sicut novell� olivarum in circuitu mens� tu�.

3 Thy wife as a fruitful vine, on the sides of thy house.
    Your children as olive plants, round about your table.

O Sanctissima - Psalm 44 (45):11-16
    11 Audi, filia, et vide, et inclina aurem tuam; et obliviscere populum tuum, et domum patris tui.
    11 Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline your ear: and forget your people and your father's house.

12 Et concupiscet rex decorem tuum, quoniam ipse est Dominus Deus tuus, et adorabunt eum.
    12 And the king shall greatly desire your beauty; for he is the Lord your God, and him they shall adore.

13 Et fili� Tyri in muneribus vultum tuum deprecabuntur; omnes divites plebis.
    13 And the daughters of Tyre with gifts, yea, all the rich among the people, shall entreat your countenance.

14 Omnis gloria ejus fili� regis ab intus, in fimbriis aureis,
    14 All the glory of the king's daughter is within in golden borders,

15 circumamicta varietatibus. Adducentur regi virgines post eam; proxim� ejus afferentur tibi.
    15 clothed round about with varieties. After her shall virgins be brought to the king: her neighbours shall be brought to you.

16 Afferentur in l�titia et exsultatione; adducentur in templum regis.
    16 They shall be brought with gladness and rejoicing: they shall be brought into the temple of the king.

Te decet laus - Psalm 64 (65):2-3
    The words after �Te decet laus� are "Te decet hymnus" but perhaps this psalm is a bit too somber for the "Te decet laus" text (it's the psalm verse for the Requiem introit

2 Te decet hymnus, Deus, in Sion, et tibi reddetur votum in Jerusalem.
    2 A hymn, O God, becomes you in Sion: and a vow shall be paid to you in Jerusalem.

3 Exaudi orationem meam; ad te omnis caro veniet.
    3 O hear my prayer: all flesh shall come to you.

Domine non sum dignus: Psalm 14 (15)
    1 Domine, quis habitabit in tabernaculo tuo? aut quis requiescet in monte sancto tuo?
    1 Lord, who shall dwell in your tabernacle? Or who shall rest in your holy hill?

2 Qui ingreditur sine macula, et operatur justitiam;
    2 He that walks without blemish, and works justice:

3 qui loquitur veritatem in corde suo: qui non egit dolum in lingua sua,
    nec fecit proximo suo malum, et opprobrium non accepit adversus proximos suos.
    3 He that speaks truth in his heart, who has not used deceit in his tongue:
    Nor has done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.

4 Ad nihilum deductus est in conspectu ejus malignus; timentes autem Dominum glorificat.
    Qui jurat proximo suo, et non decipit;
    4 In his sight the malignant is brought to nothing: but he glorifies them that fear the Lord.
    He that swears to his neighbour, and deceives not;

5 qui pecuniam suam non dedit ad usuram, et munera super innocentem non accepit:
    qui facit h�c non movebitur in �ternum.
    5 he that has not put out his money to usury, nor taken bribes against the innocent:
    He that does these things, shall not be moved for ever.

O Salutaris Hostia - Psalm 67 (68):2-4
    I'm thinking of the text "Bella premunt hostilia, da robur fer auxilium"

2 Exsurgat Deus, et dissipentur inimici ejus; et fugiant qui oderunt eum a facie ejus.
    2 Let God arise, and let his enemies be scattered: and let them that hate him flee from before his face.

3 Sicut deficit fumus, deficiant; sicut fluit cera a facie ignis, sic pereant peccatores a facie Dei.
    3 As smoke vanishes, so let them vanish away: as wax melts before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.

4 Et justi epulentur, et exsultent in conspectu Dei, et delectentur in l�titia.
    4 And let the just feast, and rejoice before God: and be delighted with gladness.

Desidero Mi Jesu � Psalm 41 (42):2-5
    2�Quemadmodum desiderat cervus ad fontes aquarum, ita desiderat anima mea ad te, Deus.
    2 As the hart pants after the fountains of water; so my soul pants after you, O God.

3�Sitivit anima mea ad Deum fortem, vivum; quando veniam, et apparebo ante faciem Dei?
    3�My soul has thirsted after the strong living God; when shall I come and appear before the face of God?

4�Fuerunt mihi lacrim� me� panes die ac nocte, dum dicitur mihi quotidie: Ubi est Deus tuus?
    4�My tears have been my bread day and night, whilst it is said to me daily: Where is your God?

5�H�c recordatus sum, et effudi in me animam meam, quoniam transibo in locum tabernaculi admirabilis, usque ad domum Dei, in voce exsultationis et confessionis, sonus epulantis.
    5�These things I remembered, and poured out my soul in me: for I shall go over into the place of the wonderful tabernacle, even to the house of God: With the voice of joy and praise; the noise of one feasting.

Paratur nobis mensa � from Psalm 22(23):
    This is from the office of Corpus Christi, where it is coupled with Psalm 23
    5�Parasti in conspectu meo mensam adversus eos qui tribulant me;
    5�You have prepared a table before me against them that afflict me.
  • Heath
    Jeff, what's this for? The list is Kevin's 3-pt motet collection, which I believe is being recorded at some point . . . what are you doing in conjunction with it?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends, THANK YOU for your thoughts !!!

Heath: please give me a few days before I get the project officially approved, and I promise to respond!

Can someone also please add about 15 hours to each work day?

:-D
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Sam,

Is there any way you can E-mail me the list you've assembled?

I will then post it so Dr. Ford can see, as well.

Here's what the doc file looked like to me:

*######W#o#r#d#D#o#c#u#m#e#n#t###########################################(
    ###########����####################################,#############D#o#c
  • rich_enough
    Jeff and all,

Sorry about the attachment. Here it is (more or less what Chonak already posted).

Jeff, I sent it as a Word document to your email.

Sam Schmitt

Panis Angelicus - Psalm 77 (78):23-25
    23 Et mandavit nubibus desuper, et januas cæli aperuit.
    23 And he had commanded the clouds from above, and had opened the doors of heaven.

24 Et pluit illis manna ad manducandum, et panem cæli dedit eis.
    24 And had rained down manna upon them to eat, and had given them the bread of heaven.

25 Panem angelorum manducavit homo; cibaria misit eis in abundantia.
    25 Man ate the bread of angels: he sent them provisions in abundance.

Sicut novellae - Psalm 127 (128):3
    3 Uxor tua sicut vitis abundans in lateribus domus tuæ;
    filii tui sicut novellæ olivarum in circuitu mensæ tuæ.

3 Thy wife as a fruitful vine, on the sides of thy house.
    Your children as olive plants, round about your table.

O Sanctissima - Psalm 44 (45):11-16
    11 Audi, filia, et vide, et inclina aurem tuam; et obliviscere populum tuum, et domum patris tui.
    11 Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline your ear: and forget your people and your father's house.

12 Et concupiscet rex decorem tuum, quoniam ipse est Dominus Deus tuus, et adorabunt eum.
    12 And the king shall greatly desire your beauty; for he is the Lord your God, and him they shall adore.

13 Et filiæ Tyri in muneribus vultum tuum deprecabuntur; omnes divites plebis.
    13 And the daughters of Tyre with gifts, yea, all the rich among the people, shall entreat your countenance.

14 Omnis gloria ejus filiæ regis ab intus, in fimbriis aureis,
    14 All the glory of the king's daughter is within in golden borders,

15 circumamicta varietatibus. Adducentur regi virgines post eam; proximæ ejus afferentur tibi.
    15 clothed round about with varieties. After her shall virgins be brought to the king: her neighbours shall be brought to you.

16 Afferentur in lætitia et exsultatione; adducentur in templum regis.
    16 They shall be brought with gladness and rejoicing: they shall be brought into the temple of the king.

Te decet laus - Psalm 64 (65):2-3
    The words after “Te decet laus” are "Te decet hymnus" but perhaps this psalm is a bit too somber for the "Te decet laus" text (it's the psalm verse for the Requiem introit

2 Te decet hymnus, Deus, in Sion, et tibi reddetur votum in Jerusalem.
    2 A hymn, O God, becomes you in Sion: and a vow shall be paid to you in Jerusalem.

3 Exaudi orationem meam; ad te omnis caro veniet.
    3 O hear my prayer: all flesh shall come to you.

Domine non sum dignus: Psalm 14 (15)
    1 Domine, quis habitabit in tabernaculo tuo? aut quis requiescet in monte sancto tuo?
    1 Lord, who shall dwell in your tabernacle? Or who shall rest in your holy hill?

2 Qui ingreditur sine macula, et operatur justitiam;
    2 He that walks without blemish, and works justice:

3 qui loquitur veritatem in corde suo: qui non egit dolum in lingua sua,
    nec fecit proximo suo malum, et opprobrium non accepit adversus proximos suos.
    3 He that speaks truth in his heart, who has not used deceit in his tongue:
    Nor has done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.

4 Ad nihilum deductus est in conspectu ejus malignus; timentes autem Dominum glorificat.
    Qui jurat proximo suo, et non decipit;
    4 In his sight the malignant is brought to nothing: but he glorifies them that fear the Lord.
    He that swears to his neighbour, and deceives not;

5 qui pecuniam suam non dedit ad usuram, et munera super innocentem non accepit:
    qui facit hæc non movebitur in æternum.
    5 he that has not put out his money to usury, nor taken bribes against the innocent:
    He that does these things, shall not be moved for ever.

O Salutaris Hostia - Psalm 67 (68):2-4
    I'm thinking of the text "Bella premunt hostilia, da robur fer auxilium"

2 Exsurgat Deus, et dissipentur inimici ejus; et fugiant qui oderunt eum a facie ejus.
    2 Let God arise, and let his enemies be scattered: and let them that hate him flee from before his face.

3 Sicut deficit fumus, deficiant; sicut fluit cera a facie ignis, sic pereant peccatores a facie Dei.
    3 As smoke vanishes, so let them vanish away: as wax melts before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.

4 Et justi epulentur, et exsultent in conspectu Dei, et delectentur in lætitia.
    4 And let the just feast, and rejoice before God: and be delighted with gladness.

Desidero Mi Jesu – Psalm 41 (42):2-5
    2 Quemadmodum desiderat cervus ad fontes aquarum, ita desiderat anima mea ad te, Deus.
    2 As the hart pants after the fountains of water; so my soul pants after you, O God.

3 Sitivit anima mea ad Deum fortem, vivum; quando veniam, et apparebo ante faciem Dei?
    3 My soul has thirsted after the strong living God; when shall I come and appear before the face of God?

4 Fuerunt mihi lacrimæ meæ panes die ac nocte, dum dicitur mihi quotidie: Ubi est Deus tuus?
    4 My tears have been my bread day and night, whilst it is said to me daily: Where is your God?

5 Hæc recordatus sum, et effudi in me animam meam,
    quoniam transibo in locum tabernaculi admirabilis, usque ad domum Dei,
    in voce exsultationis et confessionis, sonus epulantis.
    5 These things I remembered, and poured out my soul in me: for I shall go over into the place of the wonderful tabernacle, even to the house of God: With the voice of joy and praise; the noise of one feasting.

Paratur nobis mensa – from Psalm 22(23):
    This is from the office of Corpus Christi, where it is coupled with Psalm 23
    5 Parasti in conspectu meo mensam adversus eos qui tribulant me;
    5 You have prepared a table before me against them that afflict me.
  • I did a project like this for a hybrid tenebrae service. We used the congregation's newly developed chant repertoire as antiphons and chanted the verses of assorted Holy Week psalms of week II LOH.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Thanks to your gracious help, HERE'S WHAT I'VE COME UP WITH SO FAR.

HOWEVER, I cannot seem to find some good verses to go with the TANTUM ERGO.

Can anyone help??
  • chonakchonak
    Psalm XXIII from the Vulgate: (numbered 24 in modern Bibles)

1 Domini est terra et plenitudo eius
    orbis terrarum et universi qui habitant in eo
    2 quia ipse super maria fundavit eum
    et super flumina praeparavit eum
    3 Quis ascendit in montem Domini
    aut quis stabit in loco sancto eius
    4 innocens manibus et mundo corde
    qui non accepit in vano animam suam
    nec iuravit in dolo proximo suo
    5 hic accipiet benedictionem a Domino
    et misericordiam a Deo salvatore suo
    6 haec est generatio quaerentium eum