Guitars are not the problem
  • A student sees no reason for rules governing the composition of music. Explanations that changing the order of chords in the blues, for example, makes it something else, it's no longer a blues, go right over her head...

I think that many of us are like that about guitars.

The problem is not the guitar, or the strummed harmonic patterns that it plays so well, nor the tambourine, the bongo drums [how about an update on your player, >•<?] or the drums.<br />
    The person that knows the true answer to this problem is Jeff Ostrowski...but I bet he's unaware that he has discovered what the problem is.

It's not preference of young people for the folk mass. They hate it. It has nothing to do with their music. They would never pay to go to a concert of it. The only youth that "love" the current Catholic Christian Contemporary Music are ones who have been sucked into the message of the lyrics and the touching melodic leaps.

And that's a key to the answer.

To eliminate CCCM from your parish, you establish a simple set of rules.

All music to be sung must be limited to patterns of two or three notes.
    No melodic note may be longer than two beats.
    No melodic leaps are permitted more than a fifth, and these should be rare.
    If the text calls for a note longer than two beats, the composer strings together quarter notes and the singer pulses each note when singing this string of notes on the same pitch. This should be rare.

Guitars are not the problem. Melodies that cannot be sung without the metronomic playing of a rhythm instrument are the problem.

Guitars are not bad in themselves.

A guitarist can accompany the Chabanel Psalms or Gregorian Chant just as an organ may. But melodies that cannot be sung without accompaniment, that's what you need to ban to improve singing in your parish.

The altar in a church can be decorated with plain linens, candle sticks, a crucifix, with flowers, but stripped to the bare essentials it remains an altar and serves its function.

Melodies that cannot stand on their own without accompaniment are not deserving of the setting of sacred texts. The Church has known that for centuries.
  • For Advent and Lent, we composed a new mass setting that utilizes only 5 pitches, and is sung a capella. It only uses 2 or 3 basic melodic patterns that are consistent throughout the mass. When we first introduced it, we included some repeats (cantor, then cong.) as it was a pretty drastic change from anything we've done in the past. As soon as the cong. was singing both parts--didn't take long--we dropped the repeats. By means of intro, the organ plays the first phrase, and the cantor/cong. takes it from there. The cantors are instructed to sing the first few words, and then back off from the mic entirely. It is very nice to hear a congregation singing without accompaniment.
  • JamJam
    But melodies that cannot be sung without accompaniment, that's what you need to ban to improve singing in your parish.

Brilliant. Of course. And if this were done, an added benefit would be that no one would "need" to accompany the congregation during Lent unless they were all practically tone deaf, so people could follow that ideal/rule of the Catholic church without trouble.

I really do think you've hit the nail on the head, but I don't think that anyone actually thought guitars were the problem. I think guitars are a representation, a symbol, of the problem.
  • Marc,

What a great way to make change.
  • I just decompressed from Masses by watching "Babette's Feast."
    Sorry, Noel, melodies that utilize metre can be sung with or without accompaniment. Your paradigm doesn't hold water.
    You were on more honest rhetorical ground just by dissing guitars ad libitum.
    It is about the musician, not the instrument. What of that cannot you accept?
    Yes, even in extremis, harmonium or harmonica, bongos even banjos.
    Your thesis, even as noble and air-tight as you imagine, won't ever result in orthopraxis.
    If the musician and his/her instrument can humbly support the Word of God sung by the human voice singing the patrimony of musics in the sacred treasury, then (in the words of McCartney) "let it be."
    And let that music, if and whenever possible, be the chant from time immemorial.
  • I can't seem to find my dictionary...

And need to take a moment to consider why I even post at all.

Melodies that REQUIRE an instrument to be played underneath them, ones that cannot be sung by the average person without something for them to reference to is what is under discussion. Any qualified musician can sing anything without accompaniment....that is not what we are talking about.

paradigm
    rhetorical
    extremis
    orthopraxis
    patrimony
  • Examples:

Wherever You Go
    Verses to Moore's Taste and See
    Who Calls You By Name
    Sweet Refreshment
    With This Bread
    Pan de Vida
    One Bread, One Body
    Take and Eat
    By The Waters of Babylon
    Live In Light
    Be Light
    We Come to Your Feast
    Gather in Your Name
    Table Song
    For Living, For Dying
    In The Breaking of the Bread

All of these were not written as melodies and later set to harmonies...all of these were words set to a strummed rhythm on a guitar or other rhythm instrument. Words and notes fitted to a steady rhythm already in place.
  • GUITAR HATE

On the way to Knoxville last night we listened to Dire Straights and The Sultans of Swing...Mark Knopfler is on an acoustic guitar CD with Chet Atkins. whose official parking space I parked in once, not knowing it was not a joke...glad he didn't drop in while I was there.

I've heard Segovia live.

It is one of my favorite instruments. Hating the guitar or any instrument is the sign of a small mind...
  • Charles, I think you mis-interpreted what Noel's point is.

I would like to add to the list of examples:
    Gather Us In
    On Eagle's Wing
    We Are Called
    We Are Many Parts

I'm sure there's dozens and dozens more.

However, even older "traditional" hymns have accompaniments/harmonizations (Immaculate Mary, On Jordan's Bank, etc), but yet they can still hold their own without accompaniment. The above examples require accompaniment because of how they're actually composed, regardless of what instruments are to accompany them.
  • Noel,
    Ad hominems regarding vocabulary don't advance your point. If you presume that anyone should accept your opinions prima facie, then, by all means, consider whether you should post here at all. If it's about your opinion. I, for my part, recognize that you are my superior, intellectually. Happy now?

I didn't affirm you "hated" the guitar or "guitarists." But, I simply questioned your "lex", friend.
    I'm much gladdened you recognize Knopfler, and attended Segovia. As I have Williams, Paul Galbraith and the LA Guitar Q. (Whose arrangement of Lauridsen's "Dirait on" is to be reckoned with. I personally introduced Salamunovich to it.) BTW, you and Jeff C. affirm my contention by citing ridiculously cliche tunes that are as far away from reasonable programming as is the crap from the LA REC. I mean, really? "Wherever you go?"....."We are many parts..."?!!!

Why you waste energy, intellect and time crafting schemas whose purpose (to bannish tunes that ARE inferior, and which can be typified by poor performance practice by guitarists) is quixotic.
    Geez, Louise, I hope we can meet some eve' in a pub and hoist a yard of ale to all that is BS.

In the meantime, why don't we just talk about positive things? Like, chanting.
  • ESCHEW OBFUSCATION.

Many on this list are afraid to post because they fear their simple ideas and questions will be attacked.

Many on this list seek to be able to explain to a pastor why songs the people want to sing should not be sung. Telling them to sing chant instead is not going to solve the problem.

Showing them songs which limit the intervals sung and follow the rhythm of the words, songs that are then singable by the congregation, is a solution.

And these songs are, like Let All Mortal Flesh, chant-like. Because they follow the rules of chant composition. They tend to be in 4/4, some in 3/4.

I was talking about chant and still am.
  • tdunbar
    From my perspective, Noel is exactly right. My perspective comes from:

1) singing our charismatic congregation's songs in the evening, a cappella, as part of our children's bedtime routine
    2) singing with residents in a local nursing home for many years
    3) more recently, exposure to wide range of music in Catholic parishes

and, more subjectively, my own personal singing/worship practice. The issue is, I think, that the core of what is sung should be accessible to those without special training and even not too much skill. Not that there can't be extensive, professional elaboration upon that; however, the core must be prayable by the musical laity, without acompaniment.
  • Pes
    Has anyone heard a congregation sing chorale melodies without accompaniment?
  • JamJam
    Pes, I have. Specifically one of the chorales from the St. Matthew's Passion--Bach, right? The one that "O Sacred Head" is set to. I have heard both Protestant and Orthodox congregations sing that chorale in four part harmony.
  • Pes
    Funny, that's precisely the one I was thinking of! We sang that yesterday (Passion Sunday). I thought we could've handled it by ourselves, at least for one verse.
  • Pes
    Oh, sorry. Palm Sunday. Whatever it's officially called these days.
  • JamJam
    I wonder why it was called Passion Sunday! Because it is the beginning of the passion narrative? That is pretty neat, if so.
  • Pes
    I don't know, but that certainly makes sense. "Palm" sounds rather neutral. "Passion" sets the Sunday in a more specific and unmistakable context. I wonder why the term changed.
  • Palm vs. Passion Sunday: Wikipedia has an idea.
    On the USCCB website, however, it's called "Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion."

Re: the topic
    I'm mostly with Noel on this one. Though I'm not quite sure I understand the first lemma, "'All music to be sung must be limited to patterns of two or three notes", which sounds... very restrictive, the others just seem like good common sense. At least, they make great sense for the establishing of a basic, solid repertoire that can be utilized by the whole Church, or, at least, any one Rite of the Church, regardless of musical resources or monetary resources. If a piece makes musical sense when you just hear the melody, rather than depending on harmony lines or orchestration to complete the musical thought, then it can be used at any Mass. A priest singing unaccompanied in his preferred key can begin it, or even sing it alone (as I have seen many times at weekday Masses, where the celebrant will often begin a recessional hymn, after an otherwise spoken Mass.) If this kind of music is unavailable, or is perceived as unavailable, because chant is discounted as a possibility, then music can only too easily become a strain on the liturgy. Just imagine if every parish were attempting Byrd's polyphonic Mass for 5 voices! It'd be a disaster. A reliable default, still beautiful, is definitely needed.

But I personally think there is a time and a place for liturgical music that -does- rely on harmony lines, and perhaps orchestration as well (guitar or otherwise), to complete the musical thought. If a parish can handle it, polyphonic choral pieces are nice, and in my opinion the inseparability of the vocal parts in a polyphonic chorale is just about equivalent to the inseparability of certain vocal lines to particular guitar accompaniments. It could be a lousy piece of polyphony, or a poorly written guitar/vocal piece, or two fantastic pieces, but if all we're concerned about is having a separable melody, then I think polyphony too is completely excluded. Similarly, Bruckner's Mass in C, written for an alto soloist, NEEDS the organ. Some people might think that makes it a performance setting rather than a liturgical setting, but I'm not sure. I could see either way.

So yes, having something as difficult as "Be Not Afraid" for a parish's baseline default makes very little sense. But I think we should be careful lest we conceptually throw the baby out with the bath water.

If you want to hear congregations singing unaccompanied in 4-part harmony.... check out the Sunday services for the Church of Christ. (Church of Christ, not United Church of Christ.) It'll rock your world.
  • Question:

Do we think that

If the text calls for a note longer than two beats, the composer strings together quarter notes and the singer pulses each note when singing this string of notes on the same pitch. This should be rare.

is functionally equivalent to

melodies that can(not) be sung without accompaniment

??

The more I try to work it out, the less confident I feel in any opinion I may have :-)
  • chonakchonak
    Noel wrote: ESCHEW OBFUSCATION.

Gesundheit.
  • There used to be 2 separate Sundays -- Passion Sunday, then Palm Sunday. The Church's loss for combing them IMO.
  • Charles, we cited those "hymns" because it's what a lot of parishes are still doing, whether you like them or not, or whether you think they're ridiculously cliche or not. Plus, I've worked with those musicians who are only into "that kind" of liturgical music ... Discussing chant, and the like, with some of them is as effective as beating your head against a wall. What are you suppose to say when your own priest and music director tell you that chant is "obsolete", and that if we have to go back to it they'll start their own religion across the street?

Thank God I left that job ...

Trying singing "We Are Many Parts" without accompaniment, and see if everyone stays together in perfect time, like it should. Noel makes a valid point about this.

Oh yeah, I forgot about "Be Not Afraid" ... Even WITH accompaniment, it seems like no one can ever agree on any of the dotted rhythms. Singing it unaccompanied would be an even bigger disaster.
  • 2 or 3 notes...all chant is based upon groupings of two or three notes, and as such has been the foundation of major works of musical art into the 21st Century. Eliminated are those loooooooong held notes that require someone strumming below to keep everyone together.

The melody has to stand on its own, able to be sung without any assistance or toe tapping. Combinations of 2 and 3 notes are really all that are needed.

Eliminating: 1212123451212121 is a step forward.
  • Rebecca, thanks for your kind question.

"All music to be sung must be limited to patterns of two or three notes.
    If the text calls for a note longer than two beats, the composer strings together quarter notes and the singer pulses each note when singing this string of notes on the same pitch. This should be rare."

This, off the top of my head, is a set of rules that governs the composition of early counterpoint as in the style of Palestrina. It is not a coincidence that this also describes the rules for composing Gregorian style chant. The list should also include the rules of permitted harmonic intervals...perfect, major...and so on.

It is not a coincidence since polyphony was a natural move from composing monophonic music, and started out with a few perfect intervals, organum, being permitted to be sung against chant melodies.
  • Great! Thanks for the clarification. Upon a little more reflection, I'm thinking:

1) I agree with you completely, if we are restricting ourselves to monophony, or potentially more complex pieces where we want at least the -option- to easily perform them monophonically.

2) I agree with you mostly, if we are including homophony, heterophony, or polyphony (achieved vocally or instrumentally). I think note durations of 4, 5, or longer are totally reasonable in basic music, if, and only if, at least one of the simultaneous musical lines is moving in manageable 2s or 3s underneath or above. A very traditional example of this is melismatic organum, where the 'tenor', singing melody, holds the notes of the chant for varying durations, depending on the length of the 2-6 note ornamental melismas sung over it. I could also easily imagine a simple hymn tune where the melody required holding the last note of a verse for a full 4-beat measure before starting the tune over for the next verse. Sung monophonically, that counting would indubitably be a challenge, but with even a simple harmony line, say one that contrasts for the first two beats, and resolves on the second two beats, it would be cake, even in the most basic of locations.

Do you think that all liturgical music should have the potential to be performed absolutely monophonically (that is, no ison, no pedal tone, no nothing)? Many people reasonably hold that position.

I'm going to stick with my first instinct and say I think that's perfect for establishing a basic repertoire, the bread-and-butter of the music we should use. But I think a two-part homophony, which allows for a slightly larger vocabulary of rhythmic figures, is still basic enough to be okay. That might put me in the uncomfortable position of defending the rhythm of the strumming guitar (in this -one- conversation)

But minor sixth melodic jumps are an abomination to the Lord :-)
  • "To eliminate CCCM from your parish, you establish a simple set of rules."

If you and the choir want to sing CCCM that's fine! But what I am referring to is music for the congregation to sing....and for the choir, complex polyphonic works that go beyond the rules, that's fine...there should be levels of ability - simple for the congregation and more advanced for the choir. And when you choose music for the choir you choose things that are easy, harder and difficult, and that makes them grow. So these rules are to be applied to music that you expect the people in the pews to sing.

I do believe that hymnals that eliminate SATB settings and offer only the melody are insulting to Catholic in the pews. They should have the opportunity to read and sing it if they will....

Congregations that stand and sit, pray out loud and then stand mute during hymns...that's rude.

But they do so because people that choose the songs are often cantors and people that "like" a song and then want to sing it. Without a clue as to its singability. A chart listing songs and their accessibility to congregations would be helpful.

Protestants that want their people to sing stick with a repertoire from a hymnal that is created by a group of professional musicians who work in churches in most cases.

Protestant churches that REALLY want everyone to sing repeat choruses over and over again led by a song leader at a microphone. The choruses are short.

Catholic hymnals are more a track record of what has been popular among charismatic and other groups rather than being a guiding force to lead Catholic to sing.
  • JamJam
    Rebecca Bridget C said:
    If you want to hear congregations singing unaccompanied in 4-part harmony.... check out the Sunday services for the Church of Christ. (Church of Christ, not United Church of Christ.) It'll rock your world.

Yes! I grew up in the good ol' CoC, and that is definitely one of their strengths: congregational singing. At Thanksgiving my CoC family will get together to sing hymns in parts. It's wonderful. My grandfather can even sight-sing shapenote bass lines.

Also if you're interested in wonderful congregational singing, check out Sacred Harp stuff.

Noel said:
    I do believe that hymnals that eliminate SATB settings and offer only the melody are insulting to Catholic in the pews. They should have the opportunity to read and sing it if they will...

I agree, and have definitely felt insulted by that, both in Catholic churches and a Protestant church or two (not CoC).

As for the discussion on monophony vs. polyphony... Congregations should always have monophony to fall back on. Ison is easy because it is the bass line (sometimes bass and alto) holding just one note, so I would consider monophony + ison to be perfectly doable for a congregation that is used to hearing ison. Moving on into anything more complicated than monophony + ison gets one into hairier territory.
  • Ison? I cannot seem to find a reference to using ison in relation to CCCM music....and not part of Gregorian Chant practice...nor how it specifically applies to eliminating CCCM in your parish.

You have a problem with CCCM in your Byzantine Parish, I take it? Byzarre.
  • chonakchonak
    Perotin used the ison, or is that not a fair description?
  • JamJam
    Noel, I wasn't talking about CCCM music so much as the rules that you posted which Rebecca was commenting on. The rules seem to exclude some music which does fall under the "singable without accompaniment" category, like songs with ison.

As a side note, ison might not be a Gregorian chant practice, but most Gregorian chants can be sung with ison, and it makes them sound AWESOME.
  • It's not preference of young people for the folk mass. They hate it. It has nothing to do with their music. They would never pay to go to a concert of it. The only youth that "love" the current Catholic Christian Contemporary Music are ones who have been sucked into the message of the lyrics and the touching melodic leaps.

And that's a key to the answer.

To eliminate CCCM from your parish, you establish a simple set of rules.

I dispute Noel's contention in the first paragraph cited above. And I lament the reality that his tunnel visioned assessment of a couple of factors explaining the phenomenon nonetheless doesn't convince our "youth" towards more nobler musical forms. These same youth singing in their public school choirs perform Palestrina to Part, but will lay down money any day of the week to take in Matt Maher or Stan Fortuna. But, the answer doesn't lie in some Bugnini meets Trautman-like artifice that one must assume would either succeed in a niche market or would have to be martialed into mass usage by edict.
    To "eliminate" CCCM from your parish, don't program it. Jeff C., you're right to point out that the cliched tunes cited are normal U.S. RC faire, but do you really think that there aren't enough types of music that do not demean the faithful's abilities to participate in their rightful parts of the Mass? And do you think that Noel's rubrics would pervasively be taken up by......well.......who in musically impoverished parishes? And, at the same time, be as worthy as the Proper chants, the accessible ordinaries and collects and responses? Or is this Rossini/Gelineau redux?
    To me it's ironic that the rules of polyphony and the SACRED HARP are mentioned in the same thread.
    Don't sell short.
    And regarding intervallic leaps, whether in chant or in pop/art composition, why go there at all?
    The mystery of a brilliant (and singable) melody is couched among many factors.
    Let art and nature take their course in the fertile soil of chant, polyphony, strophic hymnody and homophony (SCG/Gouzes/Taize) and forget trying to constantly reinvent the wheel.
  • GavinGavin
    "To "eliminate" CCCM from your parish, don't program it."

Amen to this, Charles.
  • Frogman Noel Jones wrote:
    If you and the choir want to sing CCCM that's fine! But what I am referring to is music for the congregation to sing....and for the choir, complex polyphonic works that go beyond the rules, that's fine...

Okey-dokey, then it's exactly as I said: we agree maybe 85% on how to spell out in print a few characteristics of basic, singable music, and differ 15% about folks being able to handle slightly more complex rhythms, with the help of an eminently simple supporting line. My comment about sixths was a joke.

I, like Jam, thought we were supposed to be discussing whether your rules "counted in" exemplary liturgical music, rather than just whether it systematically "weeded out" CCCM. Hence my many comments about varieties of potentially VERY singable music that do and do not fit the rhythm constraint in particular. If you just wanted to make the point that most CCCM doesn't fit within these constraints... then alright. I guess I wandered off-topic. It was not my intention.

I'm also the person who first mentioned the idea of ison as an "accompaniment" of sorts that wouldn't/shouldn't bump a piece out of the first complexity tier. (Which, again, if we weren't supposed to be discussing musical complexity, I'll admit was peripheral.) Sorry if that got tempers going.
    (And Chonak: yep, Perotin does indeed employ an ison with some frequency. There is also a tradition of chant sung to a dominant or tonic drone in St. Brigid of Kildaire's monasteries and convents, I'm told, often supplied by a harp. Especially neat for the long readings during Matins.)
  • I used Ison in a Holy, Holy I wrote last night, and on a recording of chant by a girl's choir earlier this year, it is a great effect and does help to keep people on pitch on the melody.

All that I was trying to do was to outline ways to identify melodies that are singable...by amateurs of little or no ability. Adding accompaniment to help them is fine....but if a melody HAS to be accompanied to be sung by a group, then that melody is suspect.

Eagles Wings in unison, a capella?
  • The one by Michael Joncas?

Good luck having everyone agree with that first note ... the seventh scale degree over what's suppose to be a IV chord. The interval in question is a tritone, not exactly a beginner interval.
  • Quoth Jeffrey: The one by Michael Joncas? Good luck.

Precisely. And thus is harmony achieved on the boards, if not in the plainsong we have decided to make.
  • Not to quibble, Jeffrey, but the chord in question functions as an unprepared suspended V in 4/2 inversion that then resolves to IV; not uncommon, in fact pervasively used in pop/classical/jazz idioms. Your point is taken. I tend to think the composer intended the tune to be sung antiphonally, solo/tutti refrain, or chorally set however. In any case, debating its merits further beats a dead horse. I did once enjoy employing a Landini cadence in Dufford's "Behold the Wood" one year, to beat the band. ;-)
  • Charles, it's not an unprepared suspended V in 4/2 ... look in the accompaniment where the verses begin (ms 11). It's a plain old IV chord for the entire measure, with octave Ds in the right hand part going against the singer's C# on both beats 1 and 3. The left hand part also outlines the IV chord quite plainly. Even the guitar chords indicate a "G major chord" for the entire measure. So, I'm not seeing this resolution you're speaking of.

I've played this hymn quite enough in my past church jobs ...
  • CharlesW
    I agree with Charles - don't program it. It seems there are usually some assumptions in these posts that I don't buy into. One, that we all want to get back to singing Latin chant all the time - I don't. Several hundred years of excellent composition has occurred between the writing of chant and today. Good music from every age can be used to great effect in worship. The EF mass is widespread enough for all the "chant only" enthusiasts. But my own experience is that more recent compositions are used there, as well. Two, that we are all striving to sing only unaccompanied music - not my goal at all. I use the organ with no apologies, and have not read any church documents that tell me to do otherwise. There are some quirky neo-Calvinists out there who have opinions on what "pure" church music should be. Those opinions are, thankfully, not binding on the rest of us. I find that a useful guiding principle for choosing church music, is to just avoid extremes.
  • Donnaswan
    Charles, There's an interesting article in the WSJ today about the use of long-dead composers such as Machaut being used in Jazz settings nowadays. Instead of trying to replicate what the music would have sounded like 4 or 5 hundred years ago, (Since there really is no way of knowing) the musicians use it as a starting point. One prominent exponent is a UK professor who is a member of the Hilliard group, whose name is John Potter a tenor and professor of musicology at Univ of York.
    Article written by Corinna Da Fonseca-Wollheim.

Donna
  • CharlesW
    IanW, everything you have said, I agree with. There are some pretty good composers who actually post here, and I gratefully use their compositions from time to time. The "Neo-Calvinsts" do exist, however. I sometimes think they hurt us more than they help us, by alienating so many who are not our enemies - that is, until we make them enemies.

Contemporary music: Being continually over-scheduled, I again missed all the penance services in town, except for the last one on the calendar at a trendy church in the suburbs. They had a splendid lounge pianist who did a good job with blue notes, 7th chords, etc. The choir sang from the Gather Reprehensive hymnal, second edition. I always wondered how it made it past the first edition without being burned. Anyway, I felt I had heard an hour or better of an "easy listening" radio station. It was like elevator music to soothe us while we waited in the long lines.

Donna: I have meant to subscribe to the WSJ for some time, and never seem to get around to it. It's well worth reading, and I will look for that article. I need it, of course, for the investment advice on what to do with my fortune acquired working in Catholic church music. LOL.
  • Latin? No one has said a word about Latin.

No one has said anything about singing unaccompanied.

I bow out as this discussion has gone off topic. I sink this discussion.
  • eft94530eft94530
    rules governing the composition of music

frogman, seeing your list of rules,
    I was reminded of a college text book on my bookshelf (unused for over 30 years) ...
    A Manual of Counterpoint (revised edition)
    by David D Boyden
    http://books.google.com/books?id=HDH_0akUAt8C

stand on their own without accompaniment

This statement has become so confused in the various replies.

improve singing in your parish
    deserving of the setting of sacred texts

Musically impoverished parishes would stand a better chance of improving singing
    by narrowing their choices to music that fits the proposed rules.
    And as you point out, those skills are transferable to chant.

Given all the webpages on church music, and talk about musical judgement,
    has anyone ever seen a list such as frogman proposes
    to guide the review of scores?
  • eft94530eft94530
    I start my comment in the evening and finish it in the morning
    and then find the entire Discussion has gone off the rails
    and is tagged "sink".

Why is it so difficult to stay on topic?
  • JamJam
    Noel, you WERE talking about singing unaccompanied: you said that songs we sing in church ought to at least be singable unaccompanied. Then others chimed in about that. Latin and unaccompanied singing are interrelated also, so even if no one mentioned Latin, CharlesW was not mistaken or off-topic for bringing it up.

Relax about sinking discussions, please, Noel... just take a breather. If this forum bothers you so much, take a break and then come back. It's human nature for conversations to have multiple threads and deviate a bit around a core topic. A little off topicness can actually bring more wonderful insights into the topic itself. No one has started mentioning Hitler yet, so I think this thread is not too far gone.
  • you said that songs we sing in church ought...

Or, at least, that songs that the congregation is expected to sing ought etc. Exceptions were made for challenging choir-only pieces. But yes, "ought to at least be singable unaccompanied" was definitely the aim, vs. "must in fact be sung unaccompanied, always and everywhere". Nobody was trying to outlaw organs, or guitars, for that matter (hence, I believe, the title "guitars [and organs] are not the problem")

I also think "Latin chant" was used basically synonymously with ""plainchant" above, correctly or incorrectly, so I agree that nobody is really trying to dicuss Latin vs. other languages here. It was just an example of unaccompanied monophonic singing.

The particular chord patterns in "Eagles Wings" might have been an excellent chance to try out the new "whisper" feature :-)
  • miacoyne
    Is Noel bothered just because they are off-topics or because of the directions of those off-topics took?

The front page of CMAA says this, "Restoring the Sacred in Catholic Liturgical Life." Does this forum share the same goal?
    I truly thank the musicians who are dedicated to this goal for sharing their knowledge and ideas here.
  • As a test, songs that a congregation can sing ought to be able to sung unaccompanied, as a test.

Latin and Chant are dirty, fighting, words to some here, people who are not committed for one reason or another to the reform though they have a connection of some sort to the Latin Rite. But the first page of the CMAA site clearly outlines the goals of CMAA.

To participate in this forum with the goals of the association and not only not support the goals but talk against them...unfortunately, that causes friction, like eating a hamburger in line while protesting for PETA at McDonalds.

While Latin was not part of this discussion, it has appeared here, once again. Charles, the church you belong to does not sing in Latin as I understand it. I do not know this for sure, because I have no need to understand the Byzantine Rite. The church that pays you as a church musician does, according to Popes Gregory, Paul VI and Benedict of today, does want the Church to be able to sing in Latin.

The Latin Rite has always prized its universality. I listened to Mass in the Sudan last evening and I knew what was going on because the Latin Rite has a universal format. Once it had a universal language, now it permits vernacular at the order of the local Bishop.

There are those that want parishes to be able to participate in the Latin Rite in Latin...and that includes these Popes.

So here, instead of discussing ways to determine song melodies that are singable and unsingable by Latin Rite congregations, we are back in the struggle over Latin.

Nicely put, I hope, I am going to stop responding to posts that appear that come from people who are not in line with the goals of the CMAA and persist in not supporting the organization through their participation.
  • Noel, respectfully, Charles never said anything to contradict that.
    Quoth Charles: [an assumption] that we all want to get back to singing Latin chant all the time

That's all he said. There are miles and miles between a) being against use of the Latin language and b) not "wanting to sing Latin chant all the time." In this thread, Charles only said that he did not wish to sing Latin chant exclusively (obviously discussing Roman Rite services), but rather, would like to sample from "several hundred years of excellent composition [that] has occurred between the writing of chant and today." Read again, I'm sure you will find his -actual position- entirely unobjectionable.
  • Sorry, I was responding to an ongoing thread against Latin by posters that has pooped up here. I mean, popped. Popped up? Reared its Latinate head?