West Coast/Mountain CMAA Chapter
  • francis
    We need to host a west coast musica sacra chapter meeting here. How about it?
  • Donnaswan
    Francis, CharlesW is not on west coast. He is a Tennessee boy! LOL

Donna
  • francis
    Hmmm I was thinking the were both out here. O well.

Any other westerners here?
  • There would be some interest in this here in Phoenix. What are thinking of specifically when you say "West Coast"?

BTW--This thread might draw more attention if it were titled something like "CMAA West Coast Chapters".
  • GavinGavin
    West Coast? I thought you were in TN too, Francis.
  • francis
    Good point Adam

I am in Wyoming and I would like to sponsor it here. We don't have a pipe organ, but you will enjoy the scenery and we can certainly have a great rewarding time.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    I'm from California (same diocese as Charles in CenCA), but not directly on the coast.... Given how big CA is, we may need to split things up into southern/northern or somelike.
  • Heck, Chris, we need to split California period. But I digress.
    I'm in.
    Don't forget, f-f-f-f-folks, left coast gots Marht (Stay Churchy, my friends), Keyes/Dorlaque, Carr, EFT, incantu (I think), GregP, St. Paul's Portland, plus everyone else my addled brain can't cite this AM. Off to chant the Tract for the first time on Passion Sunday!
  • I am not sure what all is involved in hosting; but we have a fine cathedral here in Helena, a new organ, great scenery....and so let me know. go on line to see the building nside and out: www.sthelenas.org thanks, Dale
  • eft94530eft94530
    Adam B: "What are thinking of specifically when you say "West Coast"?"

I am familiar with three senses (wide to narrow) of the term "West Coast" ...

west of the Rocky Mountain range peaks
    western states (Washington, Oregon, California)
    west of I-5 (as in "there is no life east of I-5" a phrase I heard once in the 1980s in San Diego)

My location satisfies all three.
  • francis
    Well, I was not putting specific limits on who could come, but I am in Jackson WY. Technically I am not West Coast, but as you can see here, there are not a whole lot of people that would be able to attend on account of distance and expense. Dale-- what kind of organ did the church get?
  • francis
    Dale

I am 290 miles away. Would be great to collaborate on a chapter. You definitely have a nice setting for hosting with the Estey in a gothic church. Do you think we could pull this together for end of summer?
  • Carl DCarl D
    I've always thought of myself as "West", because in Colorado we're clearly in those forgotten timezones and big square states to fill up the left half of the country.
  • Just a note of correction: the organ is Wicks (new) with a few re=voiced Estey pipes rescaled on lower pressure.

About hosting: what is involved? And who would be available to help and lead?
  • incantuincantu
    West Coast posse. Represent.

I've been wanting to do this (host?) for a while. I'm in SF.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Eft: I live a good distance east of I-5, but I assure you there's life of some description here. :-D
  • So we need a good host situation on the west coast. A supportive bishop, reh rooms, housing for attendees, and a good organ... I have some ideas, but will have to wait until after Easter. Up to my eyeballs in glorious chants of the EF at the FSSP parish where I work in San Diego.

And speaking of FSSP parishes, I'd point out a chant luminary here in CA- Jeffrey Morse in Sacramento.

Here's hoping we all make it through this Holy Week with some grace and voice to spare.
  • gregpgregp
    Geographically speaking, this is such an enormous area that it would be difficult to satisfy everyone with a location. Being from Montana, and having held Dale's position in the neolithic era, I know how long it takes to get anywhere in the intermountain West. I haven't been to St. Stephen's in Sacramento yet, but all I hear are wonderful things about it.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Chris, I am sure there is life east of I-5.
    There is even more than just life,
    there is chant; you, a CMAA member, are living there!
    (By the way, where is "there"?)

That impertinence was uttered by a college friend of my youngest sibling.
    I somehow recalled it when I realized my comment was slipping into Summa-speak
    and needed three points.

I am in San Francisco East Bay (after my initials is my zip code).

And to add to the list in above comments of nearby person/place assets that ought to be spotlighted ...

Christ The Light Cathedral
    Bp Salvatore Cordileone
    Rudy De Vos
    Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque (ICKSP)
  • gregpgregp
    eft94530, there is also a schola led by Michael Hey which sings at Five Wounds in San Jose. They have a Missa Cantata every Sunday also.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Sacramento also has the stunning Blessed Sacrament Cathedral.
    Paris on the outside, heaven on the inside.
    http://www.cathedralsacramento.org/
    scroll down, page center has heading "Quick Links", click "Cathedral Tour Slideshow PDF".
  • francis
    Well, I guess I will help to lead the Mountain chapter with Dale in Helena. Looks like the West Coast is going to have its own thing, and I suspect, rightly, it should.

Dale and Carl D, so far we are the Mountain Men of CMAA. (Any other mountain dwellers out there?!) I propose we sight read the chant for three morning Masses and all the hours and give a joint organ concert. Carl, that is quite a distance on horseback. Would you still be up to it?
  • I am the Choir Director (FT) at Saint Stephen the First Martyr in Sacramento, CA. The Cathedral organist here in Sacramento, Mr Rex Rellanka and I have been thinking of hosting some sort of Gregorian Chant event using both venues, St Stephen's and the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, thereby showcasing the Chant in both the Ordinary and Extraordinary form. I think the idea of a West Coast CMAA chapter is a very good one!
  • gregpgregp
    OK, I'll volunteer to be secretary. Everyone who is interested, send me an email (click on my name).
  • Carl DCarl D
    Ah, francis, what's a thousand miles between friends? I can go 17 miles a day with my team of oxen.
  • rollingrj
    A "mountain man," as it were--Farmington, UT (Salt Lake City suburb).
  • Adam Schwend
    I'm going to bump this up...

We've got a number of people in the Puget Sound area (Seattle) who are interested in a chapter. How does one go about forming one?

Adam S.
  • mahrt
    The site of the Colloquium for 2012 is Salt Lake City. This may be a good opportunity to spin off a (some) local chapter(s).
  • Jan
    I am the Music Director for the Traditional Latin Mass at St. Vincent's Holy Rosary Chapel, San Rafael, Ca. We celebrate Mass in the Extraordinary Form every Sunday and on Holy Days of Obligation at 12:15 PM. I would be very interested in joining a West Coast Chapter of CMAA. Or even perhaps a Northern California Chapter (spinoff). Let's try to get this going! You can email me at: jblegend@aol.com

We have a Men's Schola & a mixed choir which sings every Sunday. We rehearse every Tues in San Rafael from 7 - 9 PM. Anyone interested in joining,
    you can email me.

Our website (which will be updated soon..it is very out of date) is: www.TLMMarin.org

Janice Clark
  • francis
    I cant wait to meet everyone in salt lake and spin a chapter as we meet.
  • a1437053a1437053
    A vote for the Los Angeles area.
  • Jan
    Let's have 2 branches: Northern & Southern California branches of the West Coast Chapter. I'm in!

Janice Clark, Music Director
    TLM St. Vincent's Holy Rosary Chapel
    San Rafael, Ca
    www.TLMMarin.org

My email address: jblegend@aol.com
  • francis
    dale and adam, are you going to the colloquium?
  • Count a few of us from Fresno Diocese in.
    SLC? fo' sho! Unless Mahrt/AOZ/any Jeffrey puts the fatwa (pardon pun) at the Nevada/Utah border on I-80....
  • Hoping to....but not 100% sure.
  • francis
    adam... are you in the mountain territory too? i was thinking adam b.