Indult on Guitar Masses
  • francis
    Since the indult was lifted on the TLM, and now it is sitting and gathering dust, can we just scratch out the line that says TLM and type in 'Guitar Masses' now? We don't want the indults to go to waste!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Umm.. one doesn't need a Bishop's permission to have a guitar Mass.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, yes; that's his point!
  • JamJam
    who's "we"? I thought y'all's pope had to do things like that.
  • He's trying to deal with the Eastern Churches challenging his infallibility first. Can only straighten out one church at a time. He's infallible...not totally powerful.
  • francis
    Matthewj

That is why I am petitioning Rome. If they can indult the TLM, they most certainly can indult the OF guitar Mass.
  • Sounds like a good idea...weaning the people off it in its purest form is easy, but getting them off all the music derived from it and influenced by it...

The only solution is a simple one, and one that Francis could easily put down on paper. Chant sounds like chant because of strict adherence to the rules governing the composition of chant...polyphony took those rules and used them...each basic style that has developed since then also has rules.

Rules of composition that eliminate the form that we know of as folk/catholic contemporary music could be put down on paper and music judged by those rules.
  • JamJam
  • A parish where my daughter attended pre-school had a rule:

"You may use guitars, but no strumming."
  • JamJam
    Classical guitar does sound very nice sometimes. I still don't think guitar can count as a sacred instrument, but if it is picked classically it's tons better.
  • chonakchonak
    A good rule, Mark!
  • eft94530eft94530
    mark: "no strumming"

Like air guitar?

Why does this make me flash back to my youth,
    with younger siblings wiggling fingers millimeters from my face,
    with the chant-like taunt "I'm not touching you!" ?