Setting of Byzantine "The Wisdom of God"
  • Heath
    I came across a motet by Peter Fay that uses the text of Canticle V for the Holy Thurs. Matins in the Orthodox Church. The text is wonderful . . . I'm looking for an arrangement to consider using for the foot-washing on HT. I've searched a number of sites and I can't find anything . . . do any of you know of a setting, Byzantine or other-wise? I had a friend pass one on, but I'd like to explore others . . .

Here's the text:

"The wisdom of God that restrains the untamed fury of the waters that are above the firmament,
    that sets a bridle on the deep and keeps back the seas, now pours water into a basin;

The Master who wraps the heaven in clouds girds himself with a towel;
    and he in whose hand is the life of all things kneels down to wash the feet of the servants."

Thanks in advance!
  • JamJam
    Those verses are usually just chanted in whatever tone they're supposed to be in. It looks like those canticles are in tone six or tone four (can't tell). So just learn the Byzantine tone it's in and make something up.

I've been trying to find some music for you, but unfortunately you have picked an ode from a service which is hardly ever done. Matins during Holy Week are usually done in the evening, and on Wednesday evening an Unction service usually replaces Thursday Matins...
  • JamJam
    I'm sorry I couldn't find a setting of that particular canticle; I'm looking in a liturgical music book I borrowed from my priest and still can't find it. But there is a setting of, "The Lord, who alone loves mankind, who created the lakes, the rivers, and the seas, gave us a special commandment of love when he wrapped a towel around his waist and washed the feet of his disciples; he humbled himself in the greatness of his goodness, raising us from the depths of evil." If you want I could scan it.

after one or two more short songs about the foot-washing, the book I have moves on to the last supper and Judas' betrayal. :/
  • Heath
    Jam,

I would love to see a scan of the piece! I actually composed a setting of "Wisdom" after I wasn't having much luck finding an alternative. I wrote it in haste and I'm not ready to share it yet, but I'll revise somewhat for next year and maybe put it here on the forum.

H
  • Jam, I too would love to see a scan of the piece. Is it in a Slavic idiom, or a Byzantine (or something else)?
  • JamJam
    Once I get to a scanner, I will post that one song and two more that are specifically about the foot-washing. They are very simple modern-notation transcriptions of the Obikhod tones and Znamenny chant versions. So if you knew the Obikhod tones--the simplest forms of chanting each of the eight Byzantine tones, probably slavic in origin--this music would be superfluous to you; all you would need is pointed text. I don't know much about Znamenny chant, but I think it would be the same.

These are actually very easy, so if you still wanted 'em for this Thursday you might have time. The notation is SATB, but you can of course always do it monophonically on the melody. The alto is just a third down 100% of the time and it looks like the tenor is a kind of ison in the Obikhod. There is more going on in the Znamenny.
  • JamJam
    from Matins of Holy Thursday; after ode 3; KATHISMA HYMN
    Obikhod tone 1

The Lord, who alone loves mankind, who created the lakes, the rivers, and the seas, gave us a special commandment of love when he wrapped a towel around his waist and washed the feet of his disciples; he humbled himself in the greatness of his goodness, raising us from the depths of evil.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JamJam
    KATHISMA HYMN (cont' from above)
    Obikhod tone 3

In Thy goodness Thou didst humble Thyself, washing the feet of Thy disciples. Peter would not allow this, not seeing the divine plan. When Thou didst reveal it, he obeyed and was washed. We fervently pray to Thee: grant unto us great mercy.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • mjballoumjballou
    Can you turn them into PDFs with something like Cute PDF Writer?
  • JamJam
    THE KANON -- ode 5
    Znamenny chant tone 6

The apostles were united by a bond of love, dedicated to Christ, who rules over all. Their beautiful feet were washed for the preaching of the gospel of peace to all.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Heath
    13 years after I started this thread...and I have an update!

OCP and it's fabulous Trinitas series was kind enough to publish my composition, "The Wisdom of God." I hope you'll check it out and consider using it for Holy Thursday!

Link for purchase: https://www.ocp.org/en-us/songs/90954/the-wisdom-of-god

Recording (man, it's GREAT): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCj0T4nSHLI

Thanks, all!
  • This is gorgeous, Heath. Gave me chills.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Heath
    Thank you, James!
  • This may not have exactly what you're looking for, but the monks at St Anthony's monastery have done an outstanding job of cataloging Byzantine chants in both western and Byzantine notation.
  • Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • mjballoumjballou
    Why, Heath, this is beautiful! I hope it finds its way to worthy choirs.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Heath
    Friends, I would love to know any of you that are giving my piece a run tonight (Holy Thursday)...I hope it's a blessing to your choir and parish! :)

Happy Triduum, all!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • emac3183
    We did, and it went very well! Praise God for this gem :)
    Saint John the Baptist, Jordan, MN.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Heath