A "Mode II" Kind of Day
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    After several days of truly glorious warm weather, it has turned cold, and a leaden sky hangs overhead as a chill wind howls through the yet leaf-barren trees.

In the Gregorian modes, mode II is haunting, austere and cold, reflecting the weather and reminding us that despite the fact that we've "turned the corner" on the season of Lent (with the passing of "Laetare Sunday"), we're now entering into the last weeks of the Passion of Our Lord.

Thanks to the generosity of a parishioner who paid the registration fee on my behalf, I was able to attend the Chant Workshop led by Wassim Sarweh, Music Director of St. Josaphat Catholic Church, Detroit. Mr. Sarweh is the "go-to guy" for the execution of chant in the Detroit/Windsor area, and rightly so. I'd not met him before today, but knew of him by reputation, and he lived up to every word I'd heard said about him. He is talented and knowledgeable, and at the same time humble and approachable. He very clearly loves the Church and her music tradition, and is eager to pass his knowledge and passion for it on to those who wish to join him in the work of advancing the music of the liturgy. Mr. Sarweh focused on the modes and how to avoid hearing them with 20th century ears. For instance, I'd always heard "Conditor alme siderum" in a major "key". But by applying an "ison" underneath the chant, one hears the haunting and almost mournful quality of the chant as would be more appropriate in Advent as the qualities of the mode were highlighted by the ison drone. I shall never again sing this Office hymn the same way.

The nearly all-day workshop included the celebration of the Extraordinary Form at the Church of St. Joseph in Detroit, one of the most amazing churches I've seen anywhere. Built in the Gothic style (with a distinctly German accent!), the church has been painstakingly preserved throughout the years, retaining the beauty of every aspect; the high altar and side altars, statuary, pulpit, organ, stations of the cross, every element beautifully preserved.

(Photos of the church can be viewed at my blog: "aviewfromtheloft(dot)blogspot(dot)com.")

Music, liturgy, art and architecture all came together exactly the way the Church envisioned, even throughout the "reforms" of the Second Vatican Council. This church, coupled with the Extraordinary Form and its music, prayed and executed with reverence and devotion, clearly demonstrate what the Holy Father has been calling for: a hermeneutic of continuity; a re-connecting with the unbroken tradition of 2000 years of development. And, oddly enough, even though the Mass was celebrated with "only" a priest, two altar "boys" (both adults), a full choir and cantor and only a small handful of people in the pews, this was no empty intellectual exercise. There was plenty of "full, active and conscious participation" on the part of all parties involved.
  • GavinGavin
    "retaining the beauty of every aspect"

Nonsense. The church was in fact wreckovated, but they limited themselves to the stoplist of the organ, a historic treasure. The church has flawless beauty so long as no one pulls out anything higher than a 4' on the organ.
    Gavin,

Let me guess, you're the kind of person who can order a piece of cherry pie and find a pit.

Honestly, take a look, a good look at the grave sin they perpetuated on the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Detroit, and then look at St. Joseph (organ included) and tell me that "the church was in fact wreckovated."

I may not agree with the tonal revisions made to the organ, but in the grand scheme of things, it hardly merits a margin note.
  • GavinGavin
    Of course I have to have something to complain about! St. Joe's and the Episcopal Cathedral are tied for my favorite churches in the area, both for architecture and liturgy. St. Joseph's has an EF Mass that needs to be recognized as a model for how Catholicism should be. And the organ IS a beauty - they just added on the most shrill upperwork they could find. So just don't touch the high stuff and you're good!
  • CharlesW
    Gavin, for those of us at a distance, what kind of instrument do they have?
  • GavinGavin
    http://www.saint-joseph-detroit.org/Organ.html

And lest I be thought overly critical, I should say again, this church and its music staff are all wonderful. And my opinion on the organ may be worth nothing (it is a tracker too), as I tend to view 1928 as the pinnacle of organ building.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    When Wassim became Music Director at the Detroit Tridentine Mass (back "in the day" when messy Indults were necessary), I took over his position as Music Director at the Windsor Ontario Tridentine Mass. Talk about stepping into big shoes... Wassim is great and anyone near the Detroit/Windsor area (either living there or on a trip) should make a point to attend a Mass at which he is providing the music. A tremendously talented vocalist, amazing organist and knows the Tridentine Mass inside and out.
  • marajoymarajoy
    To get this thread back on *track*... (rather than arguing about *trackers*...hahah, get it?) :-P

I was also at the conference, and I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the demonstration of Conditor Alme, and how the adding of an "ison" truly brings out the *modal* characteristics.

For those who want to try it for yourself, grab any old accompaniment version for that chant, play through it, and yes, sure enough it sounds just like a nice, but kind of boring, normal, "major-key" piece.

NOW...play just the melody this time, but this time add a sustained bass note that is a perfect fifth below the starting note.

For the first time ever, I was able to hear this chant as an actual modal piece...and having heard that particular demonstration described above, I actually am beginning to get a grasp on the *difference* between a modal and major/minor piece!
    He also explained (so well) why this is largely caused by our own interpretation of these pieces from 20th century ears: How most of us (I certainly do,) are going to sing up the "do-re-mi" scale, and then with THAT in our head, we will proceed to sing the chant!

For those who are really interested in this, here is my compilation of what Wassim gave us, and I hope I correctly wrote down the information about the isons, so I'm open to correction if anyone notices a typo.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnvjXx_mTDmrdERfVlZJd2ZsUnQtR054VjM5UmRwTlE&hl=en
  • The richness of the instrument on the recordings rather disproves the disparagement of it and its action.

I'm sure it is quite happy to be in its environment, played by organists who appreciate its beauty.

Ah yes, 1928. The era of the abandonment of Bach and other contrapuntal works as the lack of upperwork, the modern steadiness of wind-pressure, borrowing and unification became rampant, and the less than precise electropneumatic actions prevailed.

And yes, this is also the source of the theater organ.

The orchestral instruments are beautiful, but they are just as limited in their ability to play the repertoire as the baroque trackers that some love to hate. (there is some strange psychological stuff in action here...)
  • CharlesW
    Not practical, but ideally, I would love to have one of each. I don't hate trackers. I hate having good Romantic instruments thrown out and replaced by them. I once heard Marie-Claire Alain say, when told a certain instrument couldn't play Bach, "Then play something else. You have to respect the integrity of the instrument."
    The history of the instrument is unfortunate, and has probably been repeated more often than not in Catholic churches all over the country, and indeed the world.

My larger point, however, is that despite the fact that the process of caring for the organ has been fraught with poor choices, the choice of keeping the organ was never in question. It could very well have happened that at a weak moment in the parish's history (if there was a weak moment) or when the organ fell into serious disrepair, a group of people with a hidden agenda could have pushed for an electronic device, or a piano at the front, with provisions for a "contemporary ensemble" in front of one of the side altars. Rather it was decided, long ago and without debate, that the parish would keep a pipe organ here, and it will be the sole accompanying instrument for use at Mass.
  • JamJam
    Ison makes everything more awesome. It's a fact.