A Must Read by John Zmirak
  • I've much admired John Zmirak's musings in his two "Bad Catholic's Guide..." books and elsewhere. But while browsing around "Inside Catholic" this morning, I happened upon one of the most cogent and compelling of his essays inwhich he advocates availing ourselves AND others to re-embrace the liturgical absolutes restored to us via Summorum Pontificum. Enjoy.

http://insidecatholic.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7821&Itemid=48
  • Pes
    Zmirak:

which is why this pope has reversed the tremendous prudential error of his predecessor Pope Paul VI and lifted the ban on the old Latin Mass

I thought there was no such ban from the Vatican, and that "proscription of Latin" (actually: permission to use vernacular) was left to the Bishops.
  • chonakchonak
    The language of Paul VI's decree implementing the new Mass in late 1969 was interpreted by bishops everywhere as forbidding celebration of Mass according to the old Missal. Pope Paul apparently thought so too; otherwise he would not have included language granting an exception for elderly priests; nor would he need to grant an indult at the request of the English bishops and laity. Traditionalists have long contended that Paul VI's decree did not explicitly ban the old Mass, and Pope Benedict has settled the issue by declaring that indeed, the old form Mass was never truly forbidden.

In some places, bishops even attempted to forbid priests from offering the new Mass in Latin, but that is a separate matter from the distinction between the new and old Missals. (Rome has ruled in favor of priests' right to use Latin also, but it seems that bishops do have authority to regulate a parish's scheduled public Masses.)
  • tdunbar
    my bolding:

"If your bishop has followed the pope's wishes and the traditional liturgy is available in your area, you might invite a friend to tag along. But make sure it's a "sung" or "high" Mass, attended by all the beauty proper to the mystery. (No sense in going on a first date with curlers in one's hair.) Encourage your friend, at his first Mass, to ignore the Latin and follow along in English -- but don't hover over him turning pages and pointing to things. Remember that he's going through the same austere experience you did when you first attended the ancient liturgy."
  • When the truth is that the vernacular was 'permitted' and knowledge and practice of Latin and chant was explicitly directed by the council and successive popes, one asks in all seriousness: by what authority do bishops and priests forbid Latin and Gregorian chant? By what authority???
  • Pes
    Right, so the legalities here are interesting and hinge on a careful use of words. I found a few interesting bits on a thread here:

http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2010/01/30/a-response-to-anscar-chupungco/

Peter Jeffery has observed:

The 1974 notification Conferentium episcopalium, for instance, stated that whenever a vernacular translation of the new missal went into effect, from that point on “Mass, whether in Latin or the vernacular, may be celebrated lawfully only according to the rite of the Roman Missal promulgated 3 April 1969 by authority of Pope Paul VI.” The sole exception: Elderly priests who could not learn the new missal could request permission to continue using the old one, but only for private Masses. “Ordinaries cannot grant this permission for the celebration of Mass with a congregation.”

Another poster continues:

On the “never abrogated” topic in general, John Huels has noted that, “While the Missal itself was not explicitly abrogated, the freedom to use [italicized in the original] it was expressly abrogated,” by Paul VI’s apostolic constitution, Missale Romanum” (John Huels, “Reconciling the Old with the New: Canonical Questions on Summorum Pontificum,” The Jurist 69 (2008): 92–113, at 94). If a longer citation may be permitted, he went on to say: “If the freedom to use the 1962 Missal had not been abrogated, there would have been no need for the individual privileges (variously called a permission, faculty, or indult) permitting its use by those requesting it; any priest could have lawfully used it all along. There would also have been no need for this motu proprio. Thus, Pope Benedict must have something unique in mind when he says that the 1962 Missal was never abrogated. Either he means it was not explicitly [italicized in the original] abrogated by name; or perhaps he is saying that the 1962 Missal has continuously been used by those who were exceptionally so permitted and, in this sense, was never completely abrogated in practice. However, this is not the technical meaning of the term ‘abrogated’ in canon law” (p. 95).

The Mass according to the 62 Missal was not "abrogated" per se, but the freedom to celebrate it according to the 62 Missal was indeed deprecated and restricted. Pope Benedict greatly lightened those restrictions, opened up the windows to tradition again, etc.

This is a separate issue from the use of the Latin ordinary and the preference for chant, both of which the Council affirmed strongly.
  • JamJam
    hey, this article was pretty good, but stuff we've heard before. Off topicly, this guy wrote a graphic novel which I just discovered on Amazon. I think I'm going to buy it.