Exultet-using a cantor
  • A lay cantor who happens to be in formation for the permanant diaconate will be chanting the Exultet from the ambo. Can he wear a suplice over a cassock, or does he wear an alb?
  • WJA
    My understanding is that cassock and surplice are "choir dress" and appropriate for male cantors and choir members to wear. Based on that understanding, that's what I wore when I sang the Exsultet from the ambo last year and I'm planning to do so again this year. I don't see how an alb could be incorrect, though.

If anyone believes that to be incorrect, I would appreciate knowing the basis for that belief because I'd rather not do something glaringly wrong.
  • Sorry about the typo in the original post. Of course, I meant surplice. I too would like to know if there is a "rule" somewhere about this. Our pastor seemed to think the alb was correct, but couldn't say for sure.
  • unfatmatt
    I was asked to prepare to sing the English Exultet for an Ordinary Form Easter Vigil. Same question. I am not even in deaconate formation. I'm not even old enough to be a deacon. (Objectionable, I know.)

What is appropriate attire? An alb? A suit?

• Generally, when we have had lay men proclaim the Exultet, they've worn an alb. This year, a deacon candidate will be proclaiming it, and I believe I heard he would be wearing a tunicle over an alb.
    Thanked by 1canadash