An impassioned plea for scholarship funds
  • AOZ
    At present, scholarship funds for the summer Intensive and Colloquium are extremely limited. Extremely.

Disbursements will not be made until late April - and it all depends on what is available. Any scholarships awarded will more than likely be partial (and as it stands now, I mean partial) rather than full. Hard times call for hard work on everyone's part.

We've already received more requests than we can fulfill. If you are planning on attending but know that you will need help, you may well need to seek out an individual or local organization who can sponsor you, or go about doing some fund raising on your own -- now -- at your school, seminary, or local parish. Bake sales, car washes, benefit concerts, special collections, playing the violin on street corners or in shopping malls, finding a parishioner willing to sponsor your trip, etc. It's time to be creative.

Here's an idea: if you have a somewhat supportive pastor, purchase a copy of the Colloquium DVD here. Arrange for a potluck dinner at your parish or student center. Explain why you are trying to get to the Colloquium, and how it will be a benefit to all. Show the DVD. Ask for donations. Make it happen at home.

Don't forget that the CMAA is an all volunteer organization, and entirely dependent on donations for scholarships.

If you are in the position to help and in particular, interested in sponsoring a musician, priest, or seminarian's attendance, please write to us at programs@musicasacra.com.

If you yourself are already registered for one of our summer programs and would like to give a little extra toward scholarships, you can add that amount to your own fees, and indicate as much on the online or mail in registration form. No amount is too small. All donations are applied directly to scholarships.
  • AOZ
    More ideas to get you going on fund raising...

Hold a benefit hymn haw a la Sarah Haywood

Play a game of liturgical hangman with your snooty liturgy friends - there's a donation to participate. Have people donate CD's to give out as prizes. Words could be easy ones like "Palestrina" or "Dufay," or more obscure ones like "intinction," or "Bugnini"

Get together with friends and colleagues during what's left of Lent and agree to donate all money you would have spent on food during fasting times to the cause.

The possibilities are endless....The sky (seven days of musical heaven) is the limit.
  • Maureen
    Um... how many scholarships have been requested, roughly? Or is that asking too much?

I mean, maybe we need a donation thermometer or something -- little singers standing up on each others' heads, that sort of thing. Something to act as a visual aid?

I ask not just because I'm nosy; but because I encouraged a Young Person to inquire (don't know if they did -- it was somebody online at a forum), and I feel a bit responsible now. I guess I better start looking around me for some scholarship money....