Translation of Latin antiphon
  • Gilbert
    Hey, can anyone here who is good with Latin translate an antiphon for me into English? Here is the text:

"Dedit pater paenitenti filio stolam primam pariter et anulum; nam et calceamenta illi tribuens, celebravit magnum convivium. Habemus stolam primam in lavacro, et anulum fidei signaculum."

Thank you so much, in advance.

Gilbert
  • chonakchonak
    "The father gave the penitent son the first robe and also a ring, and bestowing shoes on him, he celebrated a great feast. We have a first robe in the font, and a ring, the sign of the faith."
  • Gilbert
    Thank you so much!
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    I JUST went to search for this antiphon translation, and found it had just been posted! Double thanks!
  • Beautiful antiphon! Inspires much participation through meditation. Chonak, your translation maintains the important words of the Latin and presents the images powerfully.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks; I assume that the "sign of the faith" referenced is the Cross, and perhaps also the Sign of the Cross.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    chonak, I shared your translation with my schola, and one our members had these suggestions and comments:

The father gave the penitent son the finest robe and a ring as well; and bestowing shoes on him, he celebrated a great feast. We have the finest robe in the laver [of Baptism], and the ring, the seal of faith.

"The adjective 'finest' is used in the 1970 and 1986 NAB translations, which were/are used in the Lectionary, and it renders the antiphon less opaque. The seal of faith and the laver [of regeneration] are two names for Baptism, but here the ring is not 'in' the seal of faith, but apparently is identified with it. I'd include '[of Baptism]' in the translation."
  • JamJam
    "laver of Baptism" is nicely poetic (we say "laver of regeneration" I think when praying for the catechumens), but in English I think "the font" is most commonly associated with Baptism in such a way that his translation still catches that Baptismal connection.
  • chonakchonak
    That's a good version, Dan. "Seal" is better for signaculum, too. My version was pretty simple and laconic; other versions could be more singable or more able to echo the familiar words of Scripture.

Just as an opinion, "laver" is such an unusual word that I wouldn't have considered it. Anglican-use Catholics might recognize it right off, but most congregations probably would not. I don't think I've ever heard the word spoken.