New CBW for Canada??
  • bwhite
    Hello just wondering if anyone knows if a new hymn book to replace CBW III is underway or might we see a new one in around the launch of the new Roman Missal in Canada??
    Thanks.
  • Geoff
    My understanding is that a booklet to accompany the existing CBW III will be released with the launch of a new Missal.
  • Are you saying that the Canadian Church, unlike the American but like every major Protestant Denomination, has an official hymnal?
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • chonakchonak
    You didn't know? The Catholic Book of Worship (CBW) was first issued in 1972. There are probably some other countries with official hymnals too.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes frogman, Canada has a national hymnal, but it's wretched. It's like Gather Comprehensive but put together by people who were hell-bent on destroying traditional hymn texts. All references to the word "altar" were removed (i.e. Praise to the Lord, the Almighty). Almost all references to God in masculine forms are removed. They took beautiful texts and attacked them with an axe until they were unrecognizable. It was almost as though they were hoping that the Traditional hymnody would be damaged to the point that nobody would use it.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The above is in reference to CBW3.

CBW2 had lots of good in it, but a whole lot of Carey Landry type songs too...

CBW1 had issues too..
  • chonakchonak
    For matthewj: I think CBW was right to drop "altar" from "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty". This hymn has been edited numerous times over its history, and -- from what I can tell -- "altar" is a fairly recent addition to it. I haven't found it in any editions before 1970, at least not yet.

Changing "temple" to "altar" in the first verse might have been an attempt to put an explicitly Catholic sheen on a Reformation hymn; or it might have been an attempt (consonant with 1970s ideology) to avoid the idea that the Church building is a holy place. Or it might have been done in order to avoid the perhaps confusing Jewish associations of the word "temple" in current American usage.

Anyway, the first English version (1863), by Catherine Winkworth, is available on-line.

Praise to the Lord! the Almighty, the King of creation!
    O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
    All ye who hear,
    Now to His temple draw near,
    Join me in glad adoration!

Praise to the Lord! who o'er all things so wondrously reigneth,
    Shelters thee under His wings, yea so gently sustaineth;
    Hast thou not seen
    How thy desires have been
    Granted in what He ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord! who doth prosper thy work and defend thee,
    Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee;
    Ponder anew
    What the Almighty can do,
    If with His love He befriend thee!

Praise to the Lord! Oh let all that is in me adore Him!
    All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him!
    Let the Amen
    Sound from His people again,
    Gladly for aye we adore Him!
  • RobertRobert
    There have been noises suggesting a CBW IV is in the works for a while now. The preface to the CBWIII said it was intended to last a generation, but that was before Liturgiam Authenticam.

Many musicians have received communications from the liturgy arm of the bishops' conference soliciting new psalm settings to go along with the new Canadian lectionary. A new collection of psalms will likely be published before the new hymnal.
  • Here it is a year later and now we know that there _won't_ be a new psalm collection.

There is still no sacred music for the official Canadian translation of the psalms.
  • Novalis has published Sunday and Solemnity Psalm settings for the Canadian lectionary. The inside cover states: “The Psalm and Psalm refrains contained herein are from the Lectionary Sundays and Solemnities of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, Concacan Inc., 1992, 2009. Used by permission of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops.” They are composed by Gordon Johnston.

Here is the link: http://www.novalis.ca/Product.aspx?ids=1252220

Also, on the Canadian Bishops’ website they are advertising "Celebrate in Song", though it is listed as not currently available. It contains the newly translated Order of the Mass, the ICEL English chants and three additional settings by Canadian composers. As well there are forty hymns from various publishers.

Here is the link:
    http://www.cccbpublications.ca/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1678&category_id=682&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=176&lang=eng
  • RobertRobert
    @Andrew Malton: really? Do you know why the psalm collection project that was in the works would have been abandoned?