Colloqium XX
  • Blaise
    I understand that participants will be assigned to one of either 5 chant choirs or on of 5 polyphonic ones, or is it one of each?

I'm trying to decide whether to go or not.
  • AOZ
    One of each. And you are not assigned.

For polyphony, you look at the repertoire and conductor (online on the Colloquium page) and see which of the polyphonic choirs you'd like to be part of.

As for chant, you have to place yourself in either the beginning class (newbies, can't read square notes), intermediate men's or women's scholas (you can read square notes, but you're ready to take it beyond the basics. Ready to dig in and learn more difficult chants like the propers, focus on rhtyhm, nuance, etc) or the advanced men's or women's schola (you are fluent - a seasoned chanter and regularly sing the propers. You are looking for more mastery of your skill, and enjoy the advanced scholarship).

Hope this helps.
  • Beth
    I was in the advanced women's schola last year and found that some were not so advanced. Not to sound mean, but please for the love of ... know yourself and your abilities or you will bring down the level of learning for the whole group. I'm sorry to say but if you don't know how to sing a podatus you should not be in the advanced group no matter how influential your credentials are. Just a plea not for this particular post but in general.
  • marajoymarajoy
    "if you don't know how to sing a podatus..."

well in this particular case, yes, everyone should know "how" to do that...but what about some of the other neumes, especially controversial ones? What seems obvious to one person about "how" to sing a particular neume, may not be agreed upon by everyone. (For example, I consider myself an "advanced chant singer," but I don't sing according to the "Solesmes interpretation," so when I sing with people using that system, I am always forgetting to lengthen the first note of the quilisma! Someone sitting next to me might *think* that I am not a very good chant singer, but really I am! Just not in their style!)

So...that might make it difficult for some people to determine which level schola they should be in.
  • JDE
    Well, the Solesmes method is the chant equivalent of GAAP -- Generally Accepted [ac]Counting Practices. There is always room for dissent, so to speak, but when you are singing in a group of forty or fifty people who *all* use the generally accepted, it would certainly make you stand out, and not in a good way. So maybe if you use a different method, it might be good to spend a couple of weeks before the Colloquium practicing the Solesmes method to make sure you are in the habit.

If you're already in a Habit, you are probably already using the Solesmes method in the first place.
  • AOZ
    I think it is good for you to be familiar with the basics of the Solesmes method - the ictus, the rhythm, Salicus, etc. The way you are familiar with modern notation. You can count, recognize keys, time signatures, basic harmonic structures, etc. It is fundamental knowledge that can be built upon and interpreted.

My guess is that if a person knows what a podatus is and what a quilisma is, and can sight read his way through a proper with proficiency (without a lot of stumbling around) then the advanced class is right, regardless of his approach at home. Even in the CMAA, there is a range of just how much Solesmes is used by the different instructors - depending on instructor and the level of the class. We don't want to exclude someone who doesn't use Solesmes. But it comes in handy to be familiar with the basics - a common vocabulary.

That probably muddles things even more!
  • chonakchonak
    I think Beth is on the right track, though.

People don't always assign themselves to the most suitable groups. For example, the Vespers last year, with fauxbourdon psalms and polyphonic hymns, was a bit advanced for some singers who had not had experience singing psalms in choir, even in unison.

Maybe it would be useful if there were some guidelines for assigning oneself to the most suitable chant choir and the most suitable polyphony choir.
  • OlbashOlbash
    I remember the first colloquium I attended in 2007. We had an advanced polyphony group that was audition-only. I realize that auditions take valuable time away from the colloquium schedule, but I believe it is time well spent. I realize that making the best possible performance is not the goal of the colloquium; however, I believe the musical quality of the colloquium would improve enormously just by better utilizing the talents and resources we already have.
  • marajoymarajoy
    I do agree with the above comments... *either* a very well-defined "here's what you need to be able to do to sing in choir X" or auditions would be extremely helpful for people in deciding which choir to sing with.
  • Blaise
    My church choir uses polyphony extensively for the ordinary of the Mass (including Palestrina, Viadana, etc.) Now chant is an entirely different affair--we use PBC setting of the sprinkling rite (Latin) during Lent---I don't exactly know how to read these heiroglyphics---I just watch whatever our conductor does and listen to everyone else.
  • AOZ
    Paul, you should be in the beginning chant course. Taught this time around by Scott Turkington. You're going to love it.
  • I have not been able to sing chant in a schola for some time and am still working on my solfege, so I am definitely going in the beginning group. I like how all of the groups are integrated in the masses in terms of having a part of the mass to sing.
  • don roy
    I have to disagree with what most people have said here. In my opinion, lack of auditions is a good thing. A bad singer surrounded by great ones becomes less bad and being in the company of musicians way better than me and learning from them without the slightest hint of condescention was one of the best aspects of the colloquiem. I am a little wary of anything that would suggest one person being "better" than another (although the friendliness of colloquiem participants is legendary so if anyone could pull off nonjudgemental auditions its this group)
    I believe that self regulation is the best but perhaps specific guidelines ccould be drawn up for each group so people could better place themselves.
    just my opinion.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I think that, even for some one who has not performed publicly reading square notation, some simple practice before the Colloquium would solve a lot. There are many websites to get info. But I would give two suggestions from my own experience:

1) Notes are notes. In chant notation, they are still just little men climbing up and down the ladder, like we were taught in grade school. The most basic rule is that you sing the bottom note first, then move upward. If you are to start with the top note, the subsequent notes will move downward like stair-steps. The variety of sizes and shapes of the notes involved pertain to their rhythmic values and interpretation.

2) Solfege is great. Most people have the major and minor scales down pat in their minds. You just need to expand on that concept. Practice singing nine-note solfege scales (with keyboard to start, if necessary): DO up to octave RE and back down; RE up to octave MI and back down; &c. This will eventually make all of the modes second nature.

2a) Now introduce to your ear the very important "movable DO" concept. Practice the above scales, defined ONLY by where you place the half-steps, in every key. Alternatively, practice each scale from C to octave D and back down ONLY adjusting where the half-steps are.
  • miacoyne
    I agree with Don. About 10 people from my chant gruop are coming to Colloquium this year. Many of them are ok with chant notation, although they will still take beginning class anyway, but don't have much experience in polyphony. I told them that in the polyphony class they can sing whatever they can and there will be more experienced singers in the gruop so they will listen and follow them. I do really hope those 'newbies' are welcome in the polyphony class at the Colloquium. They are coming to experience, participate in singing as much as they can, and learn more heavely liturgy with sacred music. Aren't we try to spread these sacred music to other people,instead of giving them the idea that sacred music is only for those 'special people?" There are many people who are coming to Colloquium, because they want to learn also. I hope experienced people are kind and patient to help them that they feel welcomed to be part of the entire gruop.

Also I wanted to mention here that last year there was a wonderful lady who was not a Catholic, but came to to learn sacred music, and she told me that music and liturgy were beautiful but she felt not so accepted by others in casual gatherings and conversations.
  • don roy
    with the risk of going slightly off topic, miacones comment about the non catholic lady made me want to share a somewhat disdurbing event at last years colloquiem. As most of you know, im the handicapped guy who in fact, plays organ.
    I was having a discussion with a fellow travelor when a woman came up and blurted out that her parish was looking for a music director. Im not totally happy where im at so i expressed interest. The alarm on her face was memorable and the reat of the conversation was between her and my collegue. even her body language sent a very clear and dismissive signal that i was not welcome. Her assumption was insulting yet familiar
    the friendliness of colloquiem participants is indeed legendary but perhaps all of us should try a little harder to make sure that friendliness isnt a causualty of growth.
  • Amen, DR. I've passed that sentiment onto our beloved honchos myself. Growth is always problematic because policies are, ahem, political. I think (hope/pray) CMAA will remain the haven of communion it's been, and that colloquia will reflect true heaven on earth in saecula saeculorum.
    For the record, I don't think auditions for placement in choirs is yet necessary at colloquium.
  • AOZ
    Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful input. Auditions aren't the way we want to go with the Colloquium. We did it one year as an experiment.

You will be happy to know that guidelines for choosing choirs and scholas are being drawn up and will be published soon -- along with some specifics on the polyphonic repertoire chosen for this year, graded according to difficulty.

Also, this year one of the polyphony groups will be for beginning choir singers - people who haven't sung in a choir or sung polyphony before.

And thank you, Don, for the reminder about friendliness. I'm very sorry about your bad experience.

We have a cap of 250 participants this year. That is what our program and the space is set up to handle. We don't want it spinning into something out of control - where people are not engaged and working and singing and making connections with instructors and other participants. We want the Colloquium to retain the spirit of love, camaraderie, and forward motion that makes it work.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Don Roy, if that person heard your compositions (or your playing) she would have changed her mind !!
  • don roy
    jeff , charles(and everybody e;lse)
    you are prime examples of why cmaa and the colloquiem are so wonderful. what wonderful things to say (and to hear) The affirmation from collegues whom i respect greatly has helped in so many ways.
    Paul
    I envy you your first time colloquiem experience. no matter what chant or polyphony choir you end up with, it will be an experience like none other!
  • don roy
    AOZ
    another story, far more representative of the colloquiem is in order.
    i was late to the colloquiem this past summer due to the sudden death of my pastor. my first meal at loyola saw me sitting alone. Soon Jeffry and another person sat at my table. as soon as that person and i started talking jeffry had to leave (and didnt come back)
    only later did I realize that the whole thing had been done on purpose by jeffry as i saw him do exactly the same thing to other people sitting alone. As astronomically busy as he was, he still tried to see to it that no one ate alone.
    Can you say "living saint!?"
    as far as the other woman story, aside from basic rudeness, she was just doing the best she could with what little info she had. (Like us all)
  • Don,

I came across a video on youtube of you performing at the organ two days ago. I was immediately moved to come here and tell everyone to go have a look, but then decided that you deserve your privacy. (well, as much as anyone who posts on YouTube deserves!) Your hard work and ability really brings home how many of us that are fully able, myself included, do so little to try and reach the limits of our abilities but sit in some midway place.

Thank you.
  • OlbashOlbash
    I, too, found Don's youtube performance, and found it inspirational. It was a great performance -- you even made an Allen sound good, Don!

People who have not been to the Colloquium don't believe me when I tell them about the friendliness and comraderie. "Surely," they say, "there must be gossip, backbiting, condescension, cynicism, etc..." But, honestly, the CMAA crowd is among the most positive, supportive, encouraging, optimistic groups I've ever encountered. To be sure, there is plenty of laughter and joking around, but never at the expense of another person.

As for the guidelines on choosing choirs and scholas, I hope they work. Nobody wants the dismal situation that chonak described above to happen again. I guess I don't mind having people of different abilities in each choir -- as Don rightly indicates, that helps people learn. But there must be a way to make sure that the really gifted vocalists who sing well and who sight-read like bandits are evenly distributed among the groups.
  • don roy
    frogman
    thank you for your beautiful comments. they mean a great deal to me

olbash
    another selfless thing jeffry (and others such as aristotle) do, is to act as "ringers". they are always around just as the director casts his "my firstborn for a tenor" look.

while i think its always good to be reminded of the need to reach out to first timers the reality is that the people ive met here and at the colloquiem are among the best ive ever known.somehow, i dont think that reality will change any time soon.
  • Kathy
    Have I mentioned the janitor? During one of the Masses last year I had a coughing fit and stepped outside. There was a maintenance worker, a Catholic, who was amazed by the music. We talked about St. John Cantius, etc. There was this deep chord of Catholicism that was struck in him. As Jeffrey says, most people have never heard sacred music before. That was the first time I realized that the Colloquium has an effect on the local community.

On the other hand, I wonder if we might be taking ourselves a little too seriously if we insist that there can be no stretching, no failures, in our public music. At home, this attitude seems fine. Choir directors have quite a bit of control, and any amount of last-minute tweaking is possible--"Let's set this aside for next Christmas." The music at the Colloquium is pretty well settled, and has to be thrown together in a few days. Let's not get so dang fussy about it.
  • JDE
    Since the packet is put online far in advance, one also has ample opportunity to review it, learn the parts, and decide which ensemble one might prefer for the week. While this seems obvious, it never seems urgent; so if you don't sight-read like a bandit, that presents an opportunity to learn the music in a no-pressure setting - in front of the keyboard, where no one will see if you have to stop and check a note!
  • Kathy
    I have wondered if there are enough opportunities for the super-experts to sing alone or in smaller scholas. Advanced is one thing. Sight singing and developed technique should be enough for advanced, I would think. And then there will be individuals in the advanced scholas whose abilities have become high art. That was certainly true of 3 people I can think of in the women's advanced schola last summer. (Not me, although I can read a podatus just fine.)
  • AOZ
    People shouldn't be so hung up on choosing the "right" choir, or be worried that they might not be good enough. Everyone is there to learn. We all, conductors included, strive to do our best. It isn't a contest in who is the best alto in the section - and the flip side, pointing fingers at the worst. We are learning and honing our skills, no matter the level. Everyone leaves having learned something. And we are singing in liturgy. It is not a performance. There are no music critics or talent scouts hovering about.
  • don roy
    aoz
    as usual, you summed it up beautifully. no one should ever be intimidated at the colloquiem. THATS the genius of it. amature, proffesional, advanced, beginner, all are learning together making music for the Lord.
    if it aint broke...
  • don roy
    but there is nothing "amaturish" about the sound thats for sure...
  • marajoymarajoy
    I think you all mean "amateur."

and that's important because:

"amateur"-->french "amateur" --> latin "amator" --> english LOVER!!!

(sorry for the linguistics lesson; I just can't resist pointing out that the word itself does not necessary mean "of poor quality!")
  • Flambeaux
    Well, despite being thoroughly intimidated by Colloquium I'm coming back this year. Looking forward to seeing y'all and hoping I can "get it" this year in a way that I didn't last year.
  • Flambeaux
    And as someone who can't read music in modern notation and can't figure his way around a keyboard or piano, Colloquium is the most difficult thing I attempt every year. There are non-musicians among you. I'm one of them.
  • CharlesW
    Don Roy, I saw the video. Some days, I don't play that well, and I have no handicaps - well, none besides old age and contrariness. ;-) You do excellent work.
  • don roy
    charles
    some days my bach sounds like shoenburg, even when its not supposed to!
  • CharlesW
    Hah! LOL.
  • G
    Wow.
    Just wow.

Somehow, I missed this thread last time around, and I suppose I'm glad I did, (wasn't in a good place, and under stress I might have said things I would regret, expressed opinions that were of no interst to anyone, or mentioned people who might prefer some level of anonmity,) because now reading it I am just filled to bursting, filled to tears with love for the CMAA, not as an organization, (though it certainly merits love,) but as a collection of beautiful, beautiful people.

Talk about unity in diversity! (Yeah, talk about it, PLEASE, don't sing about it...)

Paul Viola, and anyone reading these fora, I hope you take what Flambeaux says to heart -- no one should feel intimidated or out of place at the Colloquium. (Except maybe people with an irrational aversion bowties...;o))

There is no one who either knows too much or knows too little to derive something of value from it.

I love you all.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    And as someone who can't read music in modern notation and can't figure his way around a keyboard or piano, Colloquium is the most difficult thing I attempt every year. There are non-musicians among you. I'm one of them.

I think this is wonderful, Flambeaux. Thank you for your service!

Also, if you get stuck, perhaps this site would assist you?

Free Videos on how to sing Gregorian chant
  • DougS
    At the annual conference of the Society for American Music, first-time attendees are given a large blue dot sticker to wear on their name tags. It could come across as stigmatization, but the intent is to encourage people to offer a helping hand to those who are new. "Glad you're here. If you see me around and have any questions, feel free to ask." After many, many years of this practice, wearing a blue dot is a kind of like a badge of honor--you are more than just a welcome guest, you are family.

Maybe the CMAA has something similar? Or could? I've never been to a Colloquium, but I wouldn't mind wearing a blue dot, so to speak, when I can make it for the first time.

Besides, it's a great conversation starter: "Oh, this is your first time?"
  • rollingrj
    G, of what do you speak?

No one in this group is known to wear bowties on a regular basis.

(Allow me to remove my tongue from my cheek so my playful sarcasm maybe understood.)
  • Flambeaux
    I should make clear, almost everyone was very friendly last year at my first Colloquium, and very supportive. There were a few people who expressed bafflement as to why a non-musician would come to such a gathering, but such reactions were few and far between.
    The intimidation comes from being very aware that in any choral group at Colloquium, I'm the weakest link.

Since I don't chant in my parish schola or sing in my parish choir, this is the only chance I get each year to sing or chant. I loved last year, and I can barely contain the excitement for this year.

Jeff, thanks for the link. That will prove helpful.

I'm very glad there are no auditions. I'd probably not have bothered to come if there were.
  • chonakchonak
    For folks who don't have a lot of singing experience, and whose parishes don't sing traditional music, I heartily recommend looking for a chorus in your community.

Most choral groups that do classical music at all will be singing sacred music; it's not usually chant or polyphony, but it's worthy music and a good choral experience, and it'll help you tackle the pieces we do at the Colloquium more easily.
  • It occured to me last night while attempting sleep (I'm so pumped 'bout CXX) that it might be really a good thing for those of us who have extensive polyphonic choral resumes, that's pronounced reh zoomz, to consider enrolling with the more novice level choral groups.
    As much as I relish singing amongst the best and reaching beyond my grasp, I think it is now more important to me to extend my hand, such as it is, to those who aspire at whatever level they're at. I'm not the future, they who are "we" are.
    'Nuff said.
  • mjballoumjballou
    While I appreciate Chonak's encouragement of community chorus singing, many community choruses sing little classical music, often relying on arrangements of pop standards. And that might be hard to take if it's not your taste, even though I'll admit that the Sweet Adelines have everyone beat on vocal training and group discipline.

Shop around. If you can find a group that sings a repertoire of interest, go for it. Otherwise, don't be afraid of coming to the Colloquium. That's what the beginning chant and polyphony groups are for. We need to grow our own singers or we have no future.