Mahrt's Analysis of Sing to the Lord
  • I'm posting this from the Spring issue of Sacred Music even though it is only now going to print. I wanted to get it out there. It is William Mahrt's analysis of Sing to the Lord. I'm just making this available to the forum before going more broadly. Please post any html errors etc.

Here is a snippet:

Music in Catholic Worship famously proposed three judgments: musical, liturgical, and pastoral, and even suggested by placing it first that the musical judgment was prior to the other two, though not final. It made a statement about the artistic quality of the music: "To admit the cheap, the trite, the musical cliché often found in popular songs for the purpose of "instant liturgy" is to cheapen the liturgy, to expose it to ridicule, and to invite failure."[17]

This statement turned out to be prophetic, for who has not heard the cheap and trite regularly performed in the liturgy? who would have thought that such a statement had been made 1972? The seeming priority of the musical judgment in the 1972 document was relegated to the dustbin before the ink was dry on it. So nothing will change, because the present document denies the priority of any of the three judgments, placing the musical judgment last, devoting the least attention to it, and giving the criterion of excellence no more than the statement quoted above, this in a document ostensibly about music.

The discussion of the musical judgment is concluded by a serious misquotation of the Second Vatican Council. “The church has not adopted any particular style of art as her own” (SC ¶123), concluding that the church freely welcomes various styles of music to the liturgy. There are two things wrong with this statement: it comes from the chapter on sacred art and was said about art and architecture. The church has not adopted Romanesque or Gothic or any other style as canonical, but when it comes to music, the church has acknowledged the priority of Gregorian chant and to a lesser degree polyphony. These are styles and they do have priority.

Similarly, even though the document regularly uses terms like sacred music and sacred liturgy, there is practically nothing about what constitutes the sacred and its role in the liturgy. This would be, of course, a controversial topic, since so many of the styles now adopted into liturgical practice are blatantly secular. It seems that as long as the texts are acceptable, no judgments from this document will concern the acceptability of musical styles, however secular—until it comes to weddings and funerals.
  • Can't wait to read it in its entirety!
  • Oh click on the link in the top post. Sorry I wasn't clear.
  • john m
    I reviewed the draft version of SttL for my bishop (who was one of the few who voted against it). The approved version is somewhat better than the draft version. The principal faults were retained, however: as Dr. Mahrt points out: a fussiness about minor details whilst avoiding fundamental questions such as what constitutes sacred music, and an enshrining of the status quo. It is, on the whole, a disappointingly spineless document.

On the up side, it nullifies MCW and replaces it with nothing binding, thus freeing us to follow Musicam Sacram, if I interpret the situation correctly.
  • francis
    limbo is right. i have heard another phrase that goes something like

"the church will be in eclipse"
  • G
    Thank you so much, Jeffrey (and Dr Mahrt,) I'm glad I didn't have to wait for the Spring issue for this.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • musico48
    Dear readers,I have a few observations about the concerns raised by Dr Mahrt. I- Has it ever occured that perhaps music in in North America except maybe,Quebec and Latin America, tried to use what was available to the Catholics from the 17th to 19th centuries and 2-Most of the clergy during that time period were more concerned about evangelization,church and community building than music at Mass.(which is why the questionable music was the norm) In both cases I believe this was the background to our present challenge. To be fair to those who are upset over the disregard to Latin, Chant,and polyphony but my observation tends to lean towards the idea that these 3 important componants were imposed upon the Church in North America, rightly or wrongly perceived. Point in case, most Catholics attended Low Masses with some vernacular hymns,High Masses were not the norm in many parishes because of lack of training or interest. Today,I believe,is a different story, because there is an interest to develope the use of Latin Chant and polyphony at Mass. The document issesd by the American Bishops, as well as by the Canadian Bishops,tend to reflect that . Our call is to make those three gifts our own and do it well and with great joy,love,and PATIENCE!!!!
  • incantuincantu
    Is there a Canadian instruction on music? I'd be interested in reading what it had to say and comparing it to our situation in the states.
  • darelmass
    Prof. Mahrt's comments are very insightful and very welcome. There are a few positive things about Sing to the Lord, however, which -- while perhaps marginal -- are important for the American context and should be highlighted.

I have in mind in particular the comments about amplification. Perhaps the bishops read Thomas Day's Why Catholics Can't Sing! In para. 21, for example"
    In order to promote the corporate voice of the assembly when it sings, the priest’s own voice should not be heard above the congregation, nor should he sing the congregational response of the dialogues. While the assembly sings, the priest should step back from a microphone, or, if he is using a wireless microphone, he should turn it off.

and in para. 38:
    In order to promote the singing of the liturgical assembly, the cantor’s voice should not be heard above the congregation. As a transitional practice, the voice of the cantor might need to be amplified to stimulate and lead congregational singing when this is still weak. However, as the congregation finds its voice and sings with increasing confidence, the cantor’s voice should correspondingly recede.

The bishops recognize that over-amplification truly IS a problem at most Masses in the US. Hopefully SttL will help more and more parishes to recognize the problem as well.
  • When I saw the powerpoint that the USCCB Committee on Divine Worship put together concerning liturgical music, I was hopeful that something would change. However, when the new document finally came out, it was, as Dr. Mahrt seems to indicate, a huge disappointment.

The USCCB had been given its marching orders to adopt a document that would put Liturgicam Authenticam into practice. In fact, that is what the powerpoint indicated Sing to the Lord would do. Unfortunately, members of the NPM and FDLC put up an intensive lobbying effort and derailed the whole thing. The document didn't get the necessary votes to send it to Rome for recognitio by the Holy See and now, we are stuck with Sing to the Lord.

There is a huge misintepretation, as rightly pointed out by Dr. Mahrt, regarding what the documents of the Second Vatican Council said regarding music. The Church does have a musical standard. Pope St. Pius X, in his encyclical on Sacred Music, notes that.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    1. Sacred music, being a complementary part of the solemn liturgy, participates in the general scope of the liturgy, which is the glory of God and the sanctification and edification of the faithful. It contributes to the decorum and the splendor of the ecclesiastical ceremonies, and since its principal office is to clothe with suitable melody the liturgical text proposed for the understanding of the faithful, its proper aim is to add greater efficacy to the text, in order that through it the faithful may be the more easily moved to devotion and better disposed for the reception of the fruits of grace belonging to the celebration of the most holy mysteries.

2. Sacred music should consequently possess, in the highest degree, the qualities proper to the liturgy, and in particular sanctity and goodness of form, which will spontaneously produce the final quality of universality.

It must be holy, and must, therefore, exclude all profanity not only in itself, but in the manner in which it is presented by those who execute it.

It must be true art, for otherwise it will be impossible for it to exercise on the minds of those who listen to it that efficacy which the Church aims at obtaining in admitting into her liturgy the art of musical sounds.

But it must, at the same time, be universal in the sense that while every nation is permitted to admit into its ecclesiastical compositions those special forms which may be said to constitute its native music, still these forms must be subordinated in such a manner to the general characteristics of sacred music that nobody of any nation may receive an impression other than good on hearing them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Servant of God, Pope John Paul II wrote 100 years later that:
    ------------------------------------------------
    4. In continuity with the teachings of St Pius X and the Second Vatican Council, it is necessary first of all to emphasize that music destined for sacred rites must have holiness as its reference point: indeed, "sacred music increases in holiness to the degree that it is intimately linked with liturgical action"[11]. For this very reason, "not all without distinction that is outside the temple (profanum) is fit to cross its threshold", my venerable Predecessor Paul VI wisely said, commenting on a Decree of the Council of Trent[12]. And he explained that "if music - instrumental and vocal - does not possess at the same time the sense of prayer, dignity and beauty, it precludes the entry into the sphere of the sacred and the religious"[13]. Today, moreover, the meaning of the category "sacred music" has been broadened to include repertoires that cannot be part of the celebration without violating the spirit and norms of the Liturgy itself.

St Pius X's reform aimed specifically at purifying Church music from the contamination of profane theatrical music that in many countries had polluted the repertoire and musical praxis of the Liturgy. In our day too, careful thought, as I emphasized in the Encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharistia, should be given to the fact that not all the expressions of figurative art or of music are able "to express adequately the mystery grasped in the fullness of the Church's faith"[14]. Consequently, not all forms of music can be considered suitable for liturgical celebrations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The writings of both Pontiffs and the USCCB document don't jibe. While the document does give welcome advice for planning liturgies such as weddings, it doesn't offer any concrete guidance. In fact, it opens the door for paraphrasing and legitimizes things that were not necessarily good, like the extra tropes that Marty Haugen wrote for his version of the Agnus Dei.

Had the USCCB stuck to its original program and remained steadfast in adhering to Liturgicam Authenticam, I suspect that we would have seen a different and more far-reaching document.
  • Keep in mind that Redemptionis Sacramentum states at paragraph 28:

All liturgical norms that a Conference of Bishops will have established for its territory in accordance with the law are to be submitted to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments for the recognitio, without which they lack any binding force.

This comes from a 3-paragraph discussion on the Conference of Bishops, the establishment of liturgical commissions and the demand for an immediate end to any further experimentation in the liturgy. It's not clear whether or not the cited paragraph could be applied to the issuing of documents such as "Sing to the Lord," but certainly it makes it clear that the Apostolic See wants greater control and oversight in these matters.
  • Yes, that is very true. By the way, how do you make the quotes turn blue. I don't seem to have a good grip on how to do this.
  • benedictgal,

If nobody else has said it, let me say, "Welcome to our band of merry folk, and the peace of the Lord be always with you!"

To make blocks of text appear blue, simply type the following before and after the text you wish to appear in blue, absent the spaces, indicated with a _:

<_blockquote_>Text in blue.<_/blockquote_>

If you were to type the above, absent the _'s, you'd get:

Text in blue.

You can post a test here. Nobody will mind.

BTW, are you a member of a Benedictine order or an oblate? I'm a Benedictine oblate of St. Meinrad, and several other folk who frequent this forum are oblates of other communities as well.
  • I think she might be just a big fan our current pope! ; )
  • Yes, I am a huge fan of the Holy Father. No, I'm not a Benedictine, unless an order pops up and allows the wearing of bright red lipstick. :)

Thank you for the help with the blue text and for the warm welcome!
  • G
    I'm not a Benedictine, unless an order pops up and allows the wearing of bright red lipstick. :)

Heretic!!! (Deep rose is the only color....;o) I actually approached the chalice of the Most Precious Blood once at Mass to see what I'm pretty sure was Cherries in the Snow on the rim....)
    It never occurred to me when I spent time at St Meinrad's that lipstick was out of place, in all seriousness, oblates don't observe that kind of austerity, do they?
    Sorry this is off topic.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • G! LOL!

You are on a ROLL!!

(By the way, you've been to St. Meinrad?)
  • G
    (By the way, you've been to St. Meinrad?)

I celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary there :o)
    My husband had picked me up more than once as a music seminar, or retreat or whatever was over, and admired the beauty of the place, so when our anniversary was rolling around I suggested we find a retreat house, or some such place, that offered "self-guided retreats" (read: you can sleep late, honey,) to spend two days.
    He came up with St Meinrad's on the internet, and since I had recently met and become a great admirer of Fr Samuel Weber, (I don't think I'd met any other Benedictines since I was a kid,) I was game.
    It was remarkable, just remarkable.
    There was a moment walking in the darkness to.... Matins? I guess, where I was almost overwhelmed by how sheerly happy I was to be doing that, to be spending so much time in communal prayer and contemplation.
    (I should also admit I'm the laziest person you'll ever encounter, so a large component of the rush of happiness was probably having no obligations to fulfill that day at ALL...)
    Did you live near there? (As I recall, you're in Minnesota now, I'm geographically illiterate, but I'm pretty sure that's not commutable....)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!