In praise of the Ward method
  • incantuincantu
    I have to admit, I've scoffed at the Ward method and its associated teaching materials (wherein the teacher is admonished to tell students to "sit down, as if announcing a great treat!"). But after 4 lessons (once per week, increasing in length from 10-25 minutes) with a second grade class, I walked in today, handed out lined paper and sang the first line of the Regina caeli, asking students to write the names of the notes they heard. 26 out of 34 students* came up with

12123 . 432 . 4321 . (with rests in the proper places!)

The class was then able to sing back to me, from their own written notation, the melody they had just heard, using the names of the notes. The classroom teacher said, after our 25 minutes was up, that the whole thing blew his mind. I'm confident if I could work with students every week, I'd have them all reading St. Gall manuscripts by the end of third grade! I use the Curwen hand signs as well and depart substantially from the daily lesson plans (I have to in order to fit "Music In the First Year" into the 10 lessons I've been allowed to give!), but I now swear by this method. If you haven't tried it already, either in the classroom, with adults, or at home with your own children, I say -- try it.

* The remaining 8 papers required only minor corrections.
  • I've always had a real problem with people using numbers instead of solfege designations. I like fixed Do and can sing the intervals up and down chromatically.

But I also realize that a closed mind is a bad thing.

Today I wrote the solfege for an octave vertically on the whiteboard, to the left of it numbers 1-8, to the left of that the corresponding treble staff and the chant staff on the right side and C-C....so it would be possible to point at a place on this drawing of 5 columns and 8 rows and ask them to sing the note.

Started with Do...up and down the scale with intervals as well and they did ok.

Then moved to the numbers and they did....better, especially the male members of the class.

Makes me think about the book The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell which puts forth the idea that the reason that those from the Asian culture do better at math not for any reason other than the fact the the words for numbers tend to be shorter....and I know that they are. So the brain has less to process when doing calculations.

So could using the numerals free up the brain from trying to remember do, re, mi, fa, so ,la, ti, do?

Appears so.

The teenagers also enjoyed doing the Ward hand signals when we tried that.

Interesting. Well, I thought so.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I believe the reason that we tend to do better with numbers is that we spend many years exploring the relationships between numbers - up, down, even, odd, all kinds of things. You'd be hard pressed to find anything else that we've internalized so deeply.

Example: DNOSAJJMAMFJ. What is that? The initials of the months, backward. You would have recognized them quickly going forward, or the days of the week. People struggle to say the alphabet going forward. But we've all be trained during our lifetime to have a much deeper internalization of numbers.

It's a rare person who has internalized Solfege anywhere near as well.

Carl
  • incantuincantu
    Noel, I'm not a fan of using numbers for scale degrees when singing, since I also use numbers for counting, and because the distance from 2-3 is not the same as from 3-4. One of the brilliant things about the Ward method is that 1 is pronounced "Do" and 2 is pronounced "Re." I didn't realize that when I first looked at the method books.

The children at first find it funny when I draw a 5 on the board and ask them what it is. They say "five," and I pretend never to have heard of such a thing. "What is a five?" I ask, half winking. "This is a 'sol'," and so on. All 7 diatonic scale degrees in 5 weeks. That can carry us through music of the literature without even needing to know intervals.
  • Me either. What a revelation! Cool, thank you.
  • henry
    I use the Ward Method in our Catholic grade school - each class (Gr 2 through 8) get a half hour lesson per week. The classroom also has rhythm instruments, and the children sometimes ask (as recently as today) why we never use them. I feel bad because I want the class to be fun, but I think the Ward Method will be of a greater benefit for them in the long run. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks.
  • rsven
    Incantu, How did you learn the Ward method? Did you take the class at Catholic U?
  • incantuincantu
    I read about the first six pages of Music the First Year. Really, I know there's more to it than that... but I honestly taught the fundamentals in four classes, enough to read from the Ward hymn resource available on the main page. I'm also reading Gregorian Chant Vol. II for use with my adult schola. It's very reassuring to read the same thigns I've been saying for years put into different words by Ward, Gajard, et al.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Yes, the fundamentals of the Ward Method are as good today as they ever were. And it's not surprising that you could get the hang of it just by reading a few pages -- the curriculum is designed for classroom teachers with no musical training to spend 15-20 minutes a day teaching their students MUSIC, not just learning silly songs by rote.

I do wish that some talented, savvy editor would update the method for 21st century use, making it more immediately user-friendly for today's culture.

I have also wondered about immediately exposing the children to the paleography (as in the Graduale Triplex). Imagine just the paleography and scale degrees, something like this:

* & $ % ^ @ # $ & *( ! %

1 2 1 2 3 . 4 3 2 . 4 3 2 1

Re-gi-na cae-li lae-ta-re al-le-lu-ia.

(Use your imagination to see Messine neums where I typed $%^&*)

It would train students right away to find the melody right above the text, and the rhythm separately right above that. I'm convinced that children would pick up on the subtleties of the paleography instantly.
  • Olbash,

Could you explain the paleography in a very simple manner, by any chance?
  • incantuincantu
    I'm thinking of doing something like this with my choir. After we memorize a chant, we will write it on a whiteboard, coming up with symbols as we go. (I will of course steer them in the direction of the neumes). I imagine it would look something like the example "Hosanna filio David" below (which i just whipped up in 3 minutes, and only to post here). Once we learn how to write down something we already know, then we can use this system of notation to learn something unfamiliar. This is basically how notation developed!

Eventually it will not be necessary to look at the solfege (notated in numbers), since the melodies will be wedded to the text in the memory. In other words, the melodic study will not be by rote, but the interpretation (which could vary with each performance) will be based on memory and following the director's chironomy.

Is this a crazy idea? Or is it...genius?
  • OlbashOlbash
    Incantu, it's genius as long as you are heavy-handed on the steering!

Frogman, I was just typing random symbols; however, what my brother did with ASCII symbols on his pdf above rather successfully approximates the actual paleography.
  • incantuincantu
    Olbash -

My freshman year in music school, the orchestra conductor led us in an exercise of composing together as a group a piece of music to represent the formation of the universe, from chaos into order. Imagine our surprise when he played a recording of the first movement of Haydn's "The Creation" that almost exactly matched what we had written on the board! This can be done, and I think it will help singers to understand the neumes from the "inside out" rather than looking at them from a historical perspective.

I guess what I want to know is, do you think it would be useful to transcribe a number of chants in this way (perhaps using handwritten neumes or creating a sort of neume font) for use with children and even adult scholae?
  • OlbashOlbash
    Yes, I believe this would be a worthwhile exercise once the students have mastered the scale degrees.
  • As a Ward teacher, I strongly advise against a Ward-do-it-yourself-method. The instruction of a prospective teacher by a qualified Ward teacher at the college level is necessary in order to learn how to present all the parts and integrating the various aspects into a complete Ward lesson: proper voice placement, singing on pitch and training those who can't match pitches; vocal exercises; intonation exercises; ear dictation of melodies ("listening games); eye dictation of melodies ("looking" games); conducting using various rhythm gestures; staff notation; practicing rhythm patterns; melodic applications of those rhythm patterns- -followed by rhythmic dictation using those patterns; creative activity, which includes composing short songs, and finally, the sight-reading and singing of a new song each day. Justine Ward thought of everything in this wonderful method. And the students have alot of fun with it, the various aspects of a lesson moving quickly. Those aspects cited above take place in EVERY Ward lesson. Please check the Ward Center website in San Antonio to read background on Ward method, history and philosophy, etc. http://www.wardcenter.org

Instruction is available at The Catholic University of America (CUA)every summer, through the Ward Center. Contact is Fr. Robert Skeris, Director of the Ward Center. The Ward One class is a week-long intensive course. Ward courses are also available through the Ward Center at San Antonio, Texas. Amy Zuberbueler, head of the San Antonio center and who teaches Ward Two and Three at CUA, will teach at other times in San Antonio, or will travel on a series of 5 or 6 weekends to a designated area, depending on interest. Check all of this out at the website above. I might add that taking the classes to become a Ward teacher is alot of fun, too!
  • miacoyne
    Elizabeth is going to give a short demo with a real student (7 year old.) at On March 13 (Sat.), at St. John the Beloved Church in McLean, VA. I'm very grateful to her for sharing her knowledge and her time. It will be a great opportunity for parents too to learn about Ward method. I'm looking forward to it very much.
    The following is an email that one of my homeschooling mom sent to other homeschoolers (this one is specifically sent to a toddler gruop. Although Ward method can be used for different age groups, I think it will be beneficial to young children also if parents can start early as a daily activity.)

"Dear parents-of-toddlers-who-will-continue-to-educate-your-children-at-home-as-they-get-older,

I just wanted to put in a word for the session next Saturday on teaching your children Gregorian chant.

You know how important it is for babies to begin acquiring language skills virtually from the moment they are born and maybe even in the womb. Acquiring music is a close second – younger is better. Secular music programs such as Kindermusic or Music Together know this and encourage parents to bring babies as young as six months to classes and start charging tuition when your baby is nine months old. These programs do provide excellent and age-appropriate music instruction but they can be prohibitively expensive.

An alternative is for you to learn to teach them music yourself and, while you’re at it, instruct them in Holy Mother Church’s most sacred music – Gregorian Chant. Every Catholic should at least know the ordinary parts of the Mass and be able to sing them in Latin. How wonderful it would be for our children to lead the way.

I hadn’t heard of the Ward method before Mia’s original email, but from what I’ve learned about it so far, it’s highly recommended. I’m looking forward to going next Saturday myself but instruction such as this would be an even better fit for you and your family. My boys are 7 & 9 but what can I say – I can’t get enough of this (that I’m even giving up my Saturday afternoon when I’m usually very busy & productive)!

It is in Virginia, but we can carpool and there’s NO COST to attend! Just bring something to share – see details in Mia’s email below.

God bless,

Sue"
  • incantuincantu
    I have to agree with Elizabeth that I wouldn't attempt to teach anything without a certain mastery of that subject. However, if you have a thorough knowledge of chant then I think you can lift certain concepts from Ward's methodology in order to teach it. I'm not sure that the opposite is necessarily true.

For instance, Ward did not invent solfege, which has been used successfully for a thousand years as a pedagogical tool. But the idea of using numbers to represent the syllables (which is different than singing the scale-degree numbers themselves) is one that I have not found in other sources. Her method is just that -- a method, not unlike the Solesmes method. It is useful, but it does not necessarily reflect the historical performance practices of the sacred chant. Even she admits to "lying" about the names of neumes in early lessons (calling every doubled note a pressus) so as not to confuse students. It is a means to an end, and a most worthy end indeed. The point of my original post was to say "hey, I think she's on to something here " (in spite of some of the anachronisms on which her theory of chant is based), and to urge other educators to give the Ward method a closer look.

I'm interested to know what is taught in the teacher training programs mentioned above. Certainly it is not limited to the original text of Ward's instruction books, which I cannot imagine anyone would take seriously in a modern setting with its outdated language. For example, she uses "he" (presumable as a neuter pronoun to include both men and women) when referring to singers and directors, but "she" when referring to the classroom teacher! I'd be interested to learn about method books that are designed to be used with children in the 21st century.
  • incantu, re your interest in Ward Method books designed for children in 21st (and late 20th) century: I don't know your geographic location in order that I might know someone in your area who has the Ward books for you to see. But if you go to this address which follows, you can find the catalog of the Catholic University Press to find the books and the charts used in the classes. Ward teaching materials are few and simple, but beautifully effective: http://cuapress.cua.edu Just click on "catalog" and scroll down to "W." Ward based her method upon the Solesmes method, and Dom Mocquereau endorsed and praised her method.

If you are interested in the courses offered in the summer, contact Fr. Skeris: skeris@cua.edu

If you are interested in courses in San Antonio, or perhaps setting up a six-weekend course, then contact Amy Zuberbeuler at www.wardcenter.com
  • OlbashOlbash
    I ordered Books 1 through 3 from CUA Press about five years ago. They were still selling the ones that Ted Marier edited in the 80's. Are there more recent editions?
  • Those books are still in use. Amy Z. is working on a revision of Book One, but I do not know the status of that project.
  • jgirodjgirod
    Has anyone around ever taught adult beginners by exactly following the "Gregorian Chant Practicum"?
    IMHO, the intonation exercises are hard for beginners and the rythmic gestures on the up pulse are not practiced long enough to give good habits (those using chironomy come a bit early). Any advice welcome.
  • Elizabeth, I am currently using Book One and follow the lessons exactly as presented. I do have a question about the methodology that involves asking the child who is unable to match pitches not to sing. I have not done this as I fear for my life. Parents in 2010 are a lot different than parents in the 1930's. I would be accused of being mean and insensitive. So I ask you. Do you really single out children and ask them not to sing as Ms. Ward instructs us to do? If yes, how do you handle the parents?
  • incantuincantu
    Bridget: From the very beginning I divide the class up into listening and singing groups in several different ways: boys / girls, 7 year olds / eight year olds, left half of the room / right half of the room. If you establish this taking-turns method, students will not notice when you then divide them into "green" and "orange" (or "cardinals" and "blue jays" - whatever you call the (pitch-matchers and monotones). The other half can always be included either in active listening or in beating time.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • miacoyne
    jgirod, I use 'Gregorian Chant Practicum' as a reference for the director. I'm not sure you want to follow it exactly.
  • jgirod, one music director near Hilton Head developed an adult Ward Method for her parish and had alot of response. It resulted in more people joining her choirs! She and the group had alot of fun doing those courses. She is quite ill right now and is no longer at that parish. You asked specifically about the Chant Practicum book. I used its principles (1) to teach a workshop of for 8 or 9 adults a few years ago. They could not read chant, and some could not read music. They got acquainted with modes (I made copies of Marier's diagrams on a big chart); solfege; learned how to count out the rhythms- - 1-2/1-2-3, got acquainted with arsis/thesis, and learned to sing some chants. I met with them one hour per week for six weeks. It was advertised as "Learn to Sing the Square Notes- - and Introduction to Gregorian Chant." The mode exercises in the back of the Practicum book are excellent- - I understand that J. Ward got them from Dom Mocquereau. Also, I used the same method in teaching a small men's schola for over two years. Most had no acquaintance with solfege but they were willing and applied themselves. They got to be quite proficient with all of this (above)and we sang at some high feast-day Masses. We worked only one hour per week- -VERY early on Saturday morning (their choice, as most of them had big families).

Bridget- - re naming those poor little out-of-tune singers(OOTS, hereafter): if you name the groups after birds, as J. Ward did, the children will figure out which are the least attractive birds. (I think she called one group "sparrows.") Nancy Fazio, the instructor for Ward One said NOT to name them after birds- - for the reason I mentioned. I named my groups after the three archangels- - and the children loved that concept. Colors would also work as names. Then if you have the groups sing for one another in class, the best and better groups will model on-pitch singing for the OOTS-angels. I would do this for the first exercises/tune-ups at the beginning of class.. But also, you need to work with individual OOTS in pitch-matching- - a few seconds per child, for as many as you can do. Sometimes not with each child each day. (Sometimes I would have one or two children come a few minutes early to class, just to work with pitches- - and the whole class was not there to hear them.) You can do some intonation exercises by group; by row; by boys; by girls. And you can do intonation exercises with everyone, including OOTS. When you have the OOTS-angels sing by themselves (which you should do sometimes as a group) you might find some snickering among the better singers. The first time that happens, you should "fix" it. I did so by (1) telling these Catholic kids that it is uncharitable to poke fun at someone, especially when they are trying to learn something new, and (2) telling them that God gives gifts to everyone, but not all receive the same gifts. Someone might be good at singing, but not at writing, skating, or throwing a ball- - and vice versa- - and cited my own lack of skill at hitting a softball years ago, etc. I didn't hear any snickers after that. It is important that you "take up" for the OOTS, and the snicker-ers need to be admonished. Incantu made some very good suggestions, above, which I am sure you have read.

I don't think you will have problems with parents if you do these types of things with your classes. The children know you care about them - - or you wouldn't be doing these classes. They have fun with Ward and are learning unconsciously.
    And they do want to learn and will be grateful to you for helping them with this ear training.

I agree with you that you should not tell any individual child not to sing; it wounds them. My daughter-in-law was one such "victim" in the 5th grade in a public school. She was told to just "mouth the words." But if you take them by GROUPS and if you work briefly with individuals, the OOTS can hear the modeling of others and in a semester you will have most if not all singing on pitch. Matching pitches is a matter of ear training, and Ward does this so well. Note that her first book is entitled "That ALL May Sing." The younger the child, the easier it is to teach them to match pitches because they are not self-conscious then- - after about 2nd grade,or age 8 years, they become more so. And the progression of the lesson is such that you are into another part of the lesson where an OOTS might shine. However, singing on pitch is very important, as we all know! Best wishes to you in all this. I hope these comments help.
  • jgirod, one music director near Hilton Head developed an adult Ward Method for her parish and had alot of response. It resulted in more people joining her choirs! She and the group had alot of fun doing those courses. She is quite ill right now and is no longer at that parish. You asked specifically about the Chant Practicum book. I used its principles (1) to teach a workshop of for 8 or 9 adults a few years ago. They could not read chant, and some could not read music. They got acquainted with modes (I made copies of Marier's diagrams on a big chart); solfege; learned how to count out the rhythms- - 1-2/1-2-3, got acquainted with arsis/thesis, and learned to sing some chants. I met with them one hour per week for six weeks. It was advertised as "Learn to Sing the Square Notes- - and Introduction to Gregorian Chant." The mode exercises in the back of the Practicum book are excellent- - I understand that J. Ward got them from Dom Mocquereau. Also, I used the same method in teaching a small men's schola for over two years. Most had no acquaintance with solfege but they were willing and applied themselves. They got to be quite proficient with all of this (above)and we sang at some high feast-day Masses. We worked only one hour per week- -VERY early on Saturday morning (their choice, as most of them had big families).

Bridget- - re naming those poor little out-of-tune singers(OOTS, hereafter): if you name the groups after birds, as J. Ward did, the children will figure out which are the least attractive birds. (I think she called one group "sparrows.") Nancy Fazio, the instructor for Ward One said NOT to name them after birds- - for the reason I mentioned. I named my groups after the three archangels- - and the children loved that concept. Colors would also work as names. Then if you have the groups sing for one another in class, the best and better groups will model on-pitch singing for the OOTS-angels. I would do this for the first exercises/tune-ups at the beginning of class.. But also, you need to work with individual OOTS in pitch-matching- - a few seconds per child, for as many as you can do. Sometimes not with each child each day. (Sometimes I would have one or two children come a few minutes early to class, just to work with pitches- - and the whole class was not there to hear them.) You can do some intonation exercises by group; by row; by boys; by girls. And you can do intonation exercises with everyone, including OOTS. When you have the OOTS-angels sing by themselves (which you should do sometimes as a group) you might find some snickering among the better singers. The first time that happens, you should "fix" it. I did so by (1) telling these Catholic kids that it is uncharitable to poke fun at someone, especially when they are trying to learn something new, and (2) telling them that God gives gifts to everyone, but not all receive the same gifts. Someone might be good at singing, but not at writing, skating, or throwing a ball- - and vice versa- - and cited my own lack of skill at hitting a softball years ago, etc. I didn't hear any snickers after that. It is important that you "take up" for the OOTS, and the snicker-ers need to be admonished. Incantu made some very good suggestions, above, which I am sure you have read.

I don't think you will have problems with parents if you do these types of things with your classes. The children know you care about them - - or you wouldn't be doing these classes. They have fun with Ward and are learning unconsciously.
    And they do want to learn and will be grateful to you for helping them with this ear training.

I agree with you that you should not tell any individual child not to sing; it wounds them. My daughter-in-law was one such "victim" in the 5th grade in a public school. She was told to just "mouth the words." But if you take them by GROUPS and if you work briefly with individuals, the OOTS can hear the modeling of others and in a semester you will have most if not all singing on pitch. Matching pitches is a matter of ear training, and Ward does this so well. Note that her first book is entitled "That ALL May Sing." The younger the child, the easier it is to teach them to match pitches because they are not self-conscious then- - after about 2nd grade,or age 8 years, they become more so. And the progression of the lesson is such that you are into another part of the lesson where an OOTS might shine. However, singing on pitch is very important, as we all know! Best wishes to you in all this. I hope these comments help.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • This is an incredibly interesting and helpful commentary.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    You know, it strikes me that we can talk all day long about Church documents, approach to music, etc. but teaching the young how to sing is the only thing that really matters.
  • While I believe church music policy must be conceived by and directed to thoughtful adult minds, Jeff is correct that our primary focus should be the musical development of children. The realization of CMAA goals depends on it.

The question is how we do this when the tone and direction of music is often set by religious ed directors and youth ministers who have little experience in music education. (Did anyone notice that over at Pray Tell no one took my bait regarding the LA Religious Ed Congress?) There are a few parish music directors in my area that struggle to establish children’s music programs, but they really are the exception. The pressures working against them are just too great.
  • Haven't you noticed that any "movement" serious about its progress and goals (whether good or bad) always tries to enlist the young? "Get the kids!" Savvy politicians know this. The Church knows this, through its efforts to catechize at the parish level. Jeff and Randolph make very good points. Teaching the young to sing well is a gift to them- -a gift which keeps on giving, whether they continue through life singing in choir/schola, singing in the congregation, or singing elsewhere or at home..
  • miacoyne
    After the Ward demo on Saturday which Elizabeth presented with her grandson, Christian, I was keep thinking how beautiful our Liturgy would be, if all the Catholic children learn to sing like him.
  • Yes, Jeff, I agree with you. "Train up a child in the way he is to go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6 The future would be bright indeed if our energies were more focused on the musical formation of our Catholic youth than on changing some of the stubborn mindsets of the adults. It's amazing how many of the parents of my singers have had their hearts melted by the sound of their child chanting the Magnificat or Parce domine, when only a year ago they would have bristled at the mention of Latin or chant at Mass.
  • Geremia
    The medievals considered music a branch of mathematics, so it's not unfitting to use numerals instead of Do, Re, Me, etc.
  • CharlesW
    When I studied this in college, they had abandoned Do, Re, Mi and were using numbers.
  • pipesnposaune
    Just to clarify: In the Ward Method 1, 2, 3 = "Do, Re, Mi" (etc)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    1 a deer a female deer, 2 a golden drop of sun, 3 a name I call myself, 4 a long long way to run ...
    Not quite "The Sound of Music" that way.
  • G
    Correction, "a drop of golden sun."

Learn a role (in ones remote youth,) it stays with one for life...

I am going to try to sneak in teaching a bit of chant in CCD next year, didn't work out when I tried it this year because of a teaching partner.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    One lovely point Elizabeth Poel made bears repeating: labels are important! One wishes to encourage improvement and highlight excellence without wounding currently poor performing individuals. In my children's opera, The Half Bird, I created different kinds of lizards (children) with much the same goal. It worked.
  • Bri
    Henry, in response to making music class "fun," I think the answer lies in the method itself. Currently, I am using the Ward method with my 3rd grade and 4th grade religion classes. We do Ward twice per week for 30 minutes each time.

The students actually love coming to class -- especially the boys. The creative activities are a great way to engage the students. My students always want to do the "ball game" activity. If individuals are having trouble singing the responses, we all sing them together until they are confident enough to sing on their own. We do the creative activity half-way through the lesson; it's where Ward scheduled it, and it breaks up the period nicely.

Granted, the students are probably comparing doing the Ward to traditional religion classes and not to traditional music classes, but my experience has been that the method is naturally engaging.
    Thanked by 1canadash