Which GC Mass for a Bilingual Triduum?
  • francis
    We have a large Mexican population here and we celebrate our Triduum together. This year I would like to have them all sing a Mass together (ordinary and maybe propers) in Latin. Which one would you use?
  • Do you typically sing any Latin ordinaries for the bilingual or Spanish Masses now? On Holy Days or special occasions when our schola sings, we sing the ordinaries from the Jubilate Deo (that are nearly always in the missalettes). I realize it would be a lot nicer (especially for us in the schola) to sing something else, but we walk a fine line in trying to get the parishioners familiar with it when they don't hear it every week. Only at the Mass we sing each week do the people hear a broader range of Latin ordinaries and propers... so when it is more of a combined group, we stick to the most familiar.

That being said, though, this will be our second year in a row to sing Popule Meus on Good Friday :)
  • francis
    Hi Janet:

We do the Jubilate Deo all the time, and I am hoping to teach them something new. Of course, the Spanish part of the congregation always have their own Masses exclusively with guitar, but since last year we began celebrating the Triduum together. It was bilingual last year, and I thought I would introduce the Gloria from Dominator Deus (XV) which is very easy since it uses about five notes in total and teach that to the combined choirs.

Of course, the Vigil is the real challenge. Perhaps the Missa de Angelis since most of the choir knows most of that already.

Are you doing the GC Popule Meus or a polyphonic setting?

Go to Rhapsody and listen to this recording... simply haunting. Popule meus Improperie (Karfreitag) Choir of St.Abuscus Gregorian Chant 1-3 Vol.2
  • dvalerio
    I wonder if some sacred music in Latin from Spanish or Spanish-speaking authors will have an extra appeal? (I'm thinking in particular about the fairly straightforward Popule Meus by Victoria, that alternates polyphony with chant.) It's just an idea; I don't know if it works!
    Popule meus (Tomas Luis de Victoria)
  • francis
    Interesting concept, d, but I am trying to offer a "timeless church universal" musical treatment which doesn't pitch to our cultural differences and prejudice. A true meeting of the mind out in international waters, so to speak. Latin chant is truly that.
  • dvalerio
    I wouldn't say that Victoria (just for being a Spaniard; or for that matter Byrd for being an Englishman, etc.) «pitch[es] to our cultural differences and prejudice», but perhaps I'm missing your point. Sorry for not having been more helpful!
  • francis
    On the contrary dvalerio... I missed what you were saying so it's entirely my fault.

I was thinking Latin from our 18 standard mass settings. That is a great idea to have them do some polyphony but last year was the first time the two choirs did anything together. It was bi-lingual as I composed a setting of the Ordinary in English, Spanish and a Latin Antiphon, but it was entirely functional, repetitive and not very inspiring.

I am wondering when the light are going to 'go on' for the church where there are multi-cultural members and use... Latin... (Duh!) Gee, what a great idea! A universal language! Wonder who thought of that?! (tic)