English chant mania
  • I'm very excited to present to you four books that have nearly been lost to history, at least for Catholics, or perhaps just lost to me. In any case, I've looked for these for years and not found them. They were given for scanning by a generous benefactor to be given in turn to the world - and now they will be useful for Anglo-Catholic parishes and also the bulk of the Catholic world that uses Mass in English. They are authentic Gregorian Graduals in English notated with traditional neumes, put together by the geniuses G.H. Palmer and Francis Burgess, published variously between the 1930s and the 1960s. There are many aspects to these books that will be exciting. They are expertly prepared in every way and include the full Roman Gradual with sequences and Magnificats and Hymns of all sorts, including event Tracts in English (authentic tracts!).

Feast your eyes:

The Plainchant Gradual Vols 1 and 2

The Plainchant Gradual Vols 3 and 4

The Salisbury Antiphoner

Introits of the Sarum Rite

There is more I can say about these but I'll leave it at that.
  • I own the first two of these and would give much to own the last two. They are treasures, indeed! Many thanks for putting them up here. From where, in fact, did you aquire them? One is left speechless from wondering why there are no Catholic equivalents to these volumes.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I am bowled over by these amazing specimens of hard work. Hats off! . . . and congrats.
  • Well, MJO, it seems like the Catholic equivalent would pretty much be these books.
  • Well, JT, it seems you are right! Can you say where you aquired the Salisbury Antiphoner and the Introits of Sarum? (I may be pilloried as a pedant for suggesting this, but it would be nice were we to start work on a version with English to match that of the new translation [not that I have anything at all against the English of these volumes].)
  • Having these books available in this way is just astonishing.
    They will, hopefully. form the basis of good liturgical-musical practice in a high proportion of the parishes of the new Anglican Use Ordinariates.
    Would that ordinary Latin Rite parishes adopt them!
  • Aren't these editions still under International copyright even though they are out of print? I do know that as far as the Sisters are concerned at St. Mary's in the UK, they certainly think so. Of course sharing them for personal use and scholarship online is permitted. But I do think that reprinting them for sale would be, at this time, illegal without permission from St. Mary's Wantage unless the copyright has expired.
  • incantuincantu
    Looking at the this past Sunday's Offertory in the Plainchant Gradual, I have to say I am torn between the version found therein an the more recent effort in Bruce Ford's American Gradual. (Without referring to the introductory materials of the latter, one can certainly find evidence of a great debt to the work of Palmer / Burgess). I suppose my ideal for English chant would be a a combination of the two: a square-note edition like the Plainchant Gradual that used more modern language like the American Gradual. Really, the only thing keeping me from using the PG on a regular basis effective immediately is that phrases like "whoso dwelleth" would likely be a stumbling block for my parish.
  • Love the antique language. Love it!

Not because I'm a snob (I'm the opposite) but because I like liturgical language to be different from conversational language.
  • Even though these materials are currently out of print, aren't these still under international copyright? Its my understanding (from the Sister's at St Mary's and their Press), that a single copy can be re-printed for individual use and scholarship (upon asking their permission), but not for sale. Comments?

Decades long ago, I bought many of their publication and still have them. As the Director of an organization called the "SARUM SOCIETY," it is my hope that I can gain reprint permission from St. Mary's and to be able to offer all their materials once again.
  • I should really wonder about the intelligence or the earnestness of anyone who pretended not to know what 'whoso dwelleth' meant. We seem to have a plethora of rather unpleasant people in our churches who go off like firecrackers at the very sight or sound of anything that isn't street language. Its obvious intelligibility is for these types secondary to the accident that it doesn't sound like the English of their 7th grade vocabularies. Like JT, I love this language, I think its meaning is quite self-evident, and am thrilled after all these years to have its Catholicity confirmed.
  • francis
    An incredible resource that will save me years of adapting and typesetting. Thanks JT. (do let us know about the copyrights on this before we start publishing it for the rest of mankind and womanshouldbejustaskind)
  • These are reprints of a book that is long out of copyright, just like the 1906 English Hymnal. Reprinting a book does not permit it to be copyrighted.

If there were an appreciable amount of editing done, then there might be a cause for copyright, but the most obvious case of editing is the removal of the date of copyright, leaving only the word:

COPYRIGHT

on the first page.

In 1962, that was not sufficient to establish a copyright.
  • chonakchonak
    These are, as Jeff O. would say, FANTASTIC!
  • I like liturgical language to be different from conversational language.

I doubt that many here would disagree the need for an elevated liturgical language. Liturgia Authenticam has sought to reach this aim as is evidenced in the new Missal translations. The new translations are far from conversational language, very elevated and removed from common usage--as we have amply heard from people like Bp. Trautman and the like. But this is achieved without Elizabethan English. I think that I will prefer to use language consistent with this style for sung texts.
  • Adam, I wasn't attempting to put down the new translations by comparison. But these are singable and beautiful.

I detect a lack of enthusiasm here. Where is the evidence of you hysterical joy?

Ok, I'm teasing but, truly, doesn't this thrill you just a week bit?
  • I think you're right, Jeffrey--I jumped to criticism before due thanks were given. Of course it will be great to have more resources out there, and I thank you very much for digging this up and getting it out there!

I actually think that these settings will work well for many people, especially those who sing in a hard-and-fast Mocquereavian fashion. I see all kinds of problems though in the interpolation of the English text underneath a mostly unaltered Gregorian melody that was written for (and indeed custom fit to) a different Latin text. This is the greater concern that I have than the concern with the style of language. Because Gregorian composition was a craft that sought to perfectly wed a text with a melodic setting I doubt that there are more than a few possible situations where an English text can effectively be inserted into a Gregorian melody that was written for a Latin text. Fr. Columba Kelly, by contrast, sets English texts in the Gregorian idiom and preserves the efficacy of a particular melody where he can, but knows that much of the melodic setting must change in order to honor the English text the way that a Gregorian melody honors its Latin text.

I'm sorry if I'm being a downer here Jeffrey--I don't mean to curb your enthusiasm about these resources! Again, they will probably work very well for many people, but I think that I will have a hard time using them unfortunately.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I see all kinds of problems though in the interpolation of the English text underneath a mostly unaltered Gregorian melody that was written for (and indeed custom fit to) a different Latin text. This is the greater concern that I have than the concern with the style of language. Because Gregorian composition was a craft that sought to perfectly wed a text with a melodic setting I doubt that there are more than a few possible situations where an English text can effectively be inserted into a Gregorian melody that was written for a Latin text.

That theory sounds very nice, and years ago I believed it. But it is simply not true, Adam.

I'm sure you are familiar with the hundreds of cases of re-employment of melodies in the Gregorian repertoire? (it is also called "adaptation")

Undeniable and 100% demonstrable proof of this (with too many examples to even begin to list here) can be found if one simply opens the Apel book and looks at the INDEX. Look up "adaptation" in the index, and read all the references, and look at the hundreds of examples he cites. In particular, look at adaptation in the Alleluia's, and pay particular attention to the earliest ones we have (circa 9th century). I think the Apel book is like $6.00 on Amazon.com
  • Jeff O is so very, very right! And if anyone picks up the chants which Jeffrey has made available here and sings them with the intent to make them musical and beautiful he or she will realise that the endelible wedding of Latin and chant is an utter myth. (Then, of course, if one means to make sport of it, that can be done too; but sincere persons would not do this.)

And a word about the exquisite language: I recall that as a child at Christ Church, Springfield, I always wondered why people stopped speaking real English when mass was over. Fine language is (or should be) an indespensible factor in one's spiritual and moral formation. The lack of it is like a deadly anti-cultural bacillus in our Church and society today.
  • IanWIanW
    One of the advantages of traditional sacral English texts is that their structure is often closer to Latin than modern equivalents. That not only strengthens the link with the Latin roots of many of our sacred texts - it also makes it easier to set to chant.
  • I would like to note also that credit for this project goes to Owen Burdick, formerly of Trinity Wall Street. It is he who had the vision of making these books available to the world. The books belonged once to Beale Thomas of the Church of the Ascension and St Agnes Church, who left them behind when he retired. Credit also goes to Haig Mardirosian, Burdick's predecessor at Ascension for not throwing the books out. Most all Anglican congregations that use these books have long relied on photocopies, generation after generation of increasingly fuzzy and crooked editions. This has been the standard way for many long years. To have them digitally available is only the next step in the process but now the editions are 500 dpi and perfect in every way. Thank you to Maestro Burdick, benefactor to humanity.

Finally, I would like to offer a special note of thanks to the Community of St. Mary the Virgin in Wantage for their liberal permissions and encouragement in the posting of these editions.
  • AOZ
    Jeff O

Sorry, but I have to agree with Adam here. Yes, adaptation is all over the place. But it applied to the Latin. Not English. You can take an English song or hymn and change the text at whim. You can find something that works - because the language has the same sound, the same cadence, the same stresses or lack of stresses. But if you start plugging in another language, well, blech - or you have to work REALLY HARD to make it work. It's not a natural fit.

I'm not against English chant. But it better make sense and be beautiful and seem natural. I think there is a bit of a problem with making too much of a hoopla over the English stuff (Not talking specifically about the examples here), lest we forget the ideal.
  • I really don't think there is any serious disagreement here. Most everyone agrees that 1) Latin is best, 2) English is not a perfect fit, 3) there are tradeoffs between music that fits English and the goal of preserving Gregorian melodies, and 4) the Catholic world of music looks like Dresden after the bombing and these kinds of discussions are akin to arguing what kind of decor now-flatten buildings should have once they appear.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hi, Arlene. I was not speaking about the English: I was only speaking about his statements about Gregorian chant. And (historically speaking) adaptation has been proved beyond a reasonable doubt. Years ago, the thought was that adaptation of Gregorian melodies only happened "after the age of Gregorian composition had been lost." But this simply doesn't square with what we know about the earliest MSS. For myself, I love adaptation, and it's one of my favorite things about Gregorian chant, because it is so unifying. One is always hearing familiar phrases, tossed in here and there.
  • Just to be clear, I am a huge advocate of English chant--when it makes adaptations the way that the Gregorian composers made adaptions, and when it treats English texts the way that Gregorian composers treat Latin texts. I might have a bit of a hyper-sensitivity to some of these things because I have followed very closely the pedagogy of someone who has spent most of his life studying these relationships and applying it to settings of English texts.

So, to respond to Jeff O., of course I am well aware of how the Gregorian composers adapted melodies, of centonized melodies, type melodies and so on. These are great examples for sure of how to apply the same 'adaptation' to an English text. The issue that I'm taking with the Palmer/Burgess Gradual posted above is that it goes through the entire Graduale and interpolates English texts into the melodies of the Latin Graduale, seemingly nearly unaltered. This is a pretty big stretch of the concept of 'adaptation' as it is found in the Gregorian repertoire. The task that the Palmer/Burgess takes up is akin to asking the Gregorian composers (if we could) to substitute a new Latin text for every chant in our Graduale. I think that they probably would have had a pretty difficult time doing this without major surgery being done to the melodies. Don't you think, Jeff O.?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Again, I am not speaking here of the English. I really have not looked at those books long enough to make an educated statement about them. I never even knew they existed until Jeffrey Tucker posted them. I had some Burgess accomps, but that's it.

I can only speak to the broad Gregorian repertoire.

For the record, I absolutely love Fr. Columba K.'s modal adaptations, and at the moment am currently editing a video where we promote his work. It is truly lovely, and it makes sense to modern ears. I think it can lead them into being able to truly appreciate Gregorian chant, especially if they are scared of Mr. Latin.

That being said, I'm not sure I would label his work "Gregorian chant."

@Arlene: you mean you're not in favor of getting rid of all Latin chant? I'm shocked ! ;-) Now I'll have to re-watch SBU. :-p
  • That being said, I'm not sure I would label his work "Gregorian chant."

Agreed, Jeff. I think that Father prefers to call it English chant in the "Gregorian idiom".
  • RobertRobert
    It should be pointed out that Bruce Ford's work, which I understand to be carrying on the tradition of Burgess and Palmer, is a vast improvement over what Burgess and Palmer were trying to do. Ford understands the historic techniques of adapting existing melodies to new texts, the techniques employed by the composers of the Gregorian repertoire themselves and by the composers of modern neo-Gregorian chant (Signum Magnum, Cogitationes, etc.) Burgess and Palmer did not, and the result is far from ideal.

So I don't see why anyone would want to use this material, given the availability of Ford's work. Unless the attraction is the Tudor English (or faux-Tudor, as the case may be). Here it bears mentioning that there is no tradition in the Roman church of using English of this for a liturgical purpose. At best, there is arguably a tradition of devotional prayer using "thee" and "thou" in the manner of the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, but not the "whoso dwelleth" stuff of the King James. It could be argued that the Roman Church should have gone in this direction during the vernacularization of the 60s, but that's not what happened. I can see this stuff being used in the Anglican use, or by Anglicans themselves, but it would sound totally out of place in the Roman Rite.
  • It could be argued that the Roman Church should have gone in this direction during the vernacularization of the 60s, but that's not what happened.

Yes, that's right. Look what happened instead. Many people tried to stop what in retrospect seems inevitable. This history is covered in detail in Keep the Fire Burning by Ken Canedo.
  • It is wonderful to see these commended for use even if some do not greet them with undiluted joy.

The nuns at Wantage, these editions, mention of the delightful Beale Thomas ... all occasions for joyful thanksgiving. As one whose childhood was spent with these editions I sincerely pray they will find a place among English-speaking Catholics. I have always been surprised at the Roman Catholic paralysis when putting these chants into English and singing them. (I recall the first time someone asked me why I was not Roman Catholic my immediate answer was that I could not become Roman Catholic and give up Gregorian chant. I thought this a very sensible answer at the time, and the tragedy of it has certainly grown more obvious over time.)

I would offer that Dr. Palmer's work and that of nuns at Wantage (and in the States, C.W. Douglas and the nuns of the Community of St. Mary, Eastern Province) are profoundly useful and as Jackson mentioned could be updated to the current vernacular. In the States the Episcopalian nuns at the Community of St. Mary, Eastern province did a great deal of this work in their "current English" diurnal of a few years ago. I have found that when the Chant is put into another language whether it is Czech, Hungarian, Croatian, or Japanese -- whether done well or catch-as-catch-can -- the Chant takes on new life and becomes its own revelation of the Eternal Word.
  • mahrt
    Adam " The task that the Palmer/Burgess takes up is akin to asking the Gregorian composers (if we could) to substitute a new Latin text for every chant in our Graduale."

By the way, this was done in France in the eighteenth century. A kind of Gallicanism-gone-mad produced a gradual that had all the Gregorian melodies of the tradition, set to entirely different texts. I have seen such a gradual, and you look at the First Sunday of Advent and find the melody of Ad te levavi set to an entirely new text. And the same for the entire year. A very curious project!
  • incantuincantu
    Jeffrey, regarding enthusiasm: I sent a link to the PG to my fellow cantor (he and I chant the Offertory in English from the AG and the Communion in Latin from Communio every Sunday for the three Masses that do not have a polyphonic choir) asking him to compare this Sunday's Offertory in the PG and AG. His response was "I want to sing these" (i.e. the chants of the PG) and his only question was "Why did we not consider these before now?". I of course replied "They just became available TODAY!!!" So, how's that for enthusiasm?

On the subject of adaptation, consider my experience of singing this past Sunday's Gradual Angelus suis. I'm currently rehearsing a Spanish Renaissance Requiem with my choir and spending a lot of time really studying the Requiem chants (by the way, if haven't already check these out). Now, when I sing the Gradual Requiem aeternam I feel the music is perfectly wedded to the text. And when I sing Angelis I feel the music is... perfectly wedded to the text. Then I realize it is almost exactly the same music (in the Solesmes editions). I can't tell which one came first, and which is the adaptation -- or if they are both adaptations of something else. I think this has to do with what Jeff O. is saying about the "myth" of chant being suited to the text. I think one can skillfully set English to mostly unaltered melodies.

Regarding Bruce Ford's work, I can't commend it enough-- what an invaluable contribution! However, I find the notation a real impediment, especially for my colleague who is not as familiar with the Gregorian idiom. That is to say, even when the chant is transcribed in 5-line stemless notehead notation, I can still usually imagine the neumes they represent, and interpret them accordingly (with attention to the text, of course). But when singing from the AG I not infrequently get the feeling that "something is not quite right," and when I consult either the Solesmes notation or one of the manuscripts, I often find something different in the exact spot where I felt something was a little off. Not having the Latin chant memorized, how did I know that? I'm guessing those spots are the artifacts of English "adaptation." I will have to see what happens when we experiment with the PG chants, but I imagine the square notes will enable us (with our particular skill sets -- other choirs would almost certainly have a different experience) to give a better overall rendering of the chant, even if the adaptations are perhaps not as skillful as Ford's.
  • OlbashOlbash
    What an astonishing treasure. Thank you for these!
  • Pes
    Absolutely marvelous.
  • I recall the first time I saw one of these chants. It was two years ago when Prof. Mahrt had a sheet of one Gradual chant. My eyes popped out. I had never seen anything like it. Since then it has been a long hunt. But after the events I describe above, it has all come together.

Incidentally, Mahrt used these just after the council when his pastor asked for English. The next year the pastor asked for English again! Mahrt explained that they had been using English. Of course by English, he didn't mean English chant! Anyone, the pastor had nothing to say. In a few years, they easily went back to Latin and no one noticed.
  • It would be of extreme value if there were any way to link all the the current English propers together for instant comparison and choice....
  • francis
    Wow, Noel... you really are an archivist at heart! Can you also file them according to melodic line too? You know, DO = A, RE = B, MI = C, etc.?
  • As Noel said, it would be a great value to have side by side comparisons. Once I had a little book that compared the variations between Norbertine, Carthusian, Cistercian and other traditions of the same Latin chant though not always the identical text. Were the idea of that little book turned into a website it would be a perfect model for the side-by-side comparisons of those done into English.

There was also a splendid edition of Tenebrae published by the Nuns of Wantage. Would that all of those editions could be gathered together and put online.
  • Glad to have more more more of this material.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Whoopee! I don't have time to say anything else. More resources, more joy!
  • CharlesW
    I am delighted. However, don't the naysayers who think only Latin is some kind of ideal always complain? It always reminds me of what I hear in my eastern church when there's any perceived difference in anything. It goes like this:

"Those are not correct liturgical cuffs."
    "That icon looks like a print."
    "The chant has been revised."
    "The water for the wine is not warm enough."
    "That bread looks like it's pre-cut."
    And lastly, the classic we all love, "it was not ____ in nineteenth century Russia. Is outrage!

Good grief! St. Bitchandmoan, patron of the negative, preserve us!

I am just as fond of English chant as Latin, so I am delighted to have an extra resource. Thanks Jeffrey. You rock!
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Jeff O. -- that reminds me of Aristotle's posting of him singing one of Bruce's English Introits, or Graduals. (I think it may have been from the nuptial Mass propers -- can't find it right at the moment.)

My experience has been similar to what Jeffrey T. told of Dr. Mahrt's experience (though on a smaller scale, of course) -- whether English or Latin, my approach to music is worlds different than what our congregation would otherwise hear at Mass, so I've just decided to do it all in Latin, straight from the Gregorian Missal (and, since I'm pretty much a "schola of one," I sing them accompanied with the NOH).

I do precede each proper, though, with the English translation that's provided in the GM, which I chant on a psalm tone, unaccompanied. The congregation hears both the translation and the "ideal" (accompaniment notwithstanding).

Works for me, and I've heard no complaints. Deo gratias.
  • Jeff-- How about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ovRwra4kzQ

as an example of what happens when everybody does their own thing? I love your example, actually--it grows beautifully and organically out of the tradition. Imagine if this was the norm in American parishes? What a phenomenal improvement that would be!
  • Yes, I like that example too! It is really beautiful.
  • I should clarify that I like Jeffrey O's, not the one linked by Adam (which is so depressing!)
  • Jeff O ~ Thank you for the link to the beautiful Chant in Hungarian.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    it's pretty well done, no? Somebody knows what they're doing!
  • Incidentally, Mahrt used these just after the council when his pastor asked for English. The next year the pastor asked for English again! Mahrt explained that they had been using English. Of course by English, he didn't mean English chant! Anyone, the pastor had nothing to say. In a few years, they easily went back to Latin and no one noticed.

I think this illustrates how the shape and cadence of the language is mirrored so closely by the Gregorian melodies that the listener perceives Latin instead of English. I think the perception is beyond mere association.
    Latin cleans up sentences by eliminating words such as: "a, the, those, of the, in the, and with a " through the inflectional endings and therefore mellismas and phrase accents will more frequently occur in the context of an important word rather than an isolated preposition, or less important word qualifier.
    Latin, a wonderful language for poetry radiates with song and meaning. This too can be achieved with English - with a judiciously crafted text , or an adapted chant melody.
    I don't think every Gregorian Melody can accept any English translation and provide good declamation. We Love these Gregorian Melodies and we will learn much from these works. Thank you for posting them.
  • Pes
    Ok, I'll toss this out. Does Palmer's work not assume that Gregorian music is merely music, separable from its texts?

If chants were composed very much with the Latin in mind, then using them to set a completely different language destroys the original relationship between music and text and is merely a palimpsest.

Personally, I can grant this and still like the results. Palmer and Ford and many others illustrate how skillful the adaptation can be, and how successful. I also think the exercise of setting Gregorian melody to English (or Hungarian, or Korean) text is extremely useful because it throws into relief how the chant composers 'composed,' as it were.

Maybe it's heretical to say this, but these volumes instantly make me muse on their utility in defining and then constructing a highly informed, new vernacular chant that grows directly and organically from Latin chant -- that that the value of these volumes lies chiefly in their stimulating a basis for new chant composition.

That said, I would sing them in a heartbeat if it meant the local Mass would move closer to the ideal given to us by the saints.
  • Great post, Pes! Am I correct in that Fr. Ruff cited one scholar's opinion that the entity "Gregorian (Latin) chant" shouldn't be considered in the same manner as we do "song," as lyric wedded to melody? And that means it cannot be regarded as music itself? If anything, the scholar inferred, it should be regarded as a language sacred unto itself.
    That's a heady notion.
    But I also agree that vernacular texts associated to "authentic" (if modified) chant has great merit.