Liturgies of St. Gregory the Great
  • JamJam
    This is a bit of an esoteric liturgical question, so. I remember a while back I was taking about who wrote the various liturgies in existence today. I found it profoundly interesting that St. Gregory the Great wrote not only the precursor to the Tridentine Mass, but also the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts, which we Orthodox use on weekdays (usually Wednesdays) during Lent.

Does Latin rite Catholicism have any history of using this liturgy, or a liturgy derived from it? Is there any equivalent to it in the present day?
  • Jam, the only Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts that the Roman Rite has is celebrated on Good Friday, the only day on which the Eucharist is not celebrated. The Ambrosian Rite(the Rite of the Diocese of Milan) has something more akin to the Orthodox Presanctified Liturgy, a Vespers Service with Holy Communion, but I do not know how frequently this is celebrated in the Ambrosian Rite.
  • JamJam
    What is the Good Friday service like in the EF and the OF? Are prostrations involved? And where could I learn more about the Ambrosian Rite?

I seem to remember attending an OF Good Friday service once, but what I remember most is the veneration of the wood of the cross, which I found very interesting and wonderful. It's a lot like our venerating Christ's burial shroud on holy Saturday.