EF Ash Wednesday Mass in Peoria, IL
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Hi all, I know this is a bit late, and most of you can't attend, but for the few of you who might be free and close enough:

Begin Lent with the austere melodies of Gregorian Chant.

Join the Cathedral Chant School and Voxanima Schola for
    ASH WEDNESDAY MASS of the EXTRAORDINARY FORM
    7 PM, February 17
    Saint Joseph's Parish, 103 S. Richard Pryor Place, Peoria, IL (309)360-5661

Lent is a time of purification, a time to root us deeper in our Christian vocation. Gregorian Chant is noted in its unique ability to lead one beyond the sensuous, into the realm of contemplation. What a fitting way to enter into the season. All Mass parts and propers will be sung according to this ancient chant heritage of our Church. Also featured will be the 4-part polyphonic motet “Tradiderunt Me” by Victoria.

Pope Benedict XVI wrote about the Extraordinary Form of the Mass in his Accompanying Letter to Summorum Pontificum: “What earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too.” And later, “The two Forms of the usage of the Roman Rite can be mutually enriching.” Thus even those accustomed to regularly attend the New Rite will still benefit greatly from participating in this much older Form of the Mass. Booklets will be available with translations.
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Angela. It sounds wonderful. I wish I can be there. I'll be praying for you and your schola.

“The two Forms of the usage of the Roman Rite can be mutually enriching.” Thus even those accustomed to regularly attend the New Rite will still benefit greatly from participating in this much older Form of the Mass."

I'm experiencing this personally everyday. (so are many of my schola members and families.) I'm so grateful to our Church and Holy Father.

Deo Gratias
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Thanks so much, Mia. It was an important step for our school, which sings for the OF, to participate in the more ancient context of chant. I'm very happy we did it. They sang well, especially seeing as most of them knew nothing about chant notation less than a year and a half ago! I'm going to attempt to post some sound clips soon (now that I finally know how to cut the file into smaller chunks!).