Lenten Mass Booklet
  • Hello all - I have prepared a Lenten Mass Booklet for use at our Latin Choral Mass (Sundays at 10am). Before I hand them out, I would greatly appreciate comments regarding the booklet, and if there is anything I've missed or could make better. The idea is to provide to the congregation translations of the Introit and Communion chants, as well as provide the music and texts to the sung parts of the mass - not just the ordinaries, but the responses as well.

Thanks for your feedback! SEAN BURNS, Holy Ghost Church, Denver.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Hi Sean,

Could you repost as a PDF? It's not coming through all that well as a Word file.

Mark M. (Greeley!)
  • No problem - see attached - SEAN
  • Your email address please, holyghostcapella? Mine's under my name link.

Never mind, got it from your very nice Choir website!
  • WJA
    Very nicely done. One question: the program states that the Kyrie is sung after the Asperges. That's true in the EF, but I thought in the OF, if the priest performed the sprinkling rite, that replaced the "penitential rite" which includes, in the OF, the Kyrie.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I thought that was the case.
  • WJA, my first thought too, then I saw the Tract and realized this must be EF.
  • I had some question about whether or not to do the Kyrie... The form of mass we use is a Latin Novus Ordo mass, but I am working to slowly transform it into a proper OF mass. SEAN
  • dvalerio
    > then I saw the Tract and realized this must be EF

Notice that that Tract (actually a psalm with response; real Tracts have no response, both in the Graduale Romanum and in the Graduale Simplex) is from the Graduale Simplex (you can find it in the Parish Book of Chant too) and may not be used in the EF (where it would be impossible to sing the same Tract during the entire Lent)...

> if the priest performed the sprinkling rite, that replaced (...) the Kyrie

Yes, in the OF, when there is the sprinkling rite, the Kyrie is ommitted (though not ommitting it and singing it right after the Asperges me is not really the worst abuse that comes to my mind), and the Gloria follows (or the collect if there is no Gloria).

A possible way of keeping the Kyrie when there is the sprinkling rite, without violating any rubric, is to use it as the response to the prayer of the faithful. This works alright with the simplest melodies of the Kyrie, of course.