• BGP
    Does anyone know where one might find a recording of compline (older form)?

Also any thoughts about using monastic compline in a parish setting, my understanding is that the monastic psalms are fixed (Sundays are used each day)?
  • mahrt
    Roman compline in the EF has the advantage over monastic compline that there is an antiphon for the psalmody and that there is the Nunc dimittis, which is the culmination of the office in the Roman usage, but has no place in monastic compline.

Before the reforms of Pius X, Roman compline was the same for all the days of the week, i.e., as Sunday compline, but with four psalms (Psalms 4, 30, 90, and 133 by the old numbering). In the new office, there are only two psalms; this may make sense for a busy priest saying the entire office each day, but for parish use, where compline will be the single office sung, the office would be a bit too brief to stand alone.

If I were singing compline in a parish as a single office, I would consider singing the same office (i.e., that of Sunday) on any day, with the four psalms. Such discretion was allowed to individual monastic houses by the Rule of St. Benedict; in the modern office, the structuring of the offices is quite open for those who do not have a canonical obligation to the office. This solution would realize thoroughly traditional principles and be quite suitable to parish usage.

My group sings compline at the Stanford Memorial Church one Sunday a quarter (other groups sing for the other Sundays); we add a significant amount of polyphonic music, and the service takes about 30 minutes, long enough for people to make a trip to the church to attend. Normal Sndays we sing compline after dinner in a private home, just in Gregorian chant according to the EF with three psalms, and it takes about 15 minutes.
  • mahrt
    P.S. There is precedent for singing the same office each day in the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin as well.
  • BGP
    Thank you Dr. Mahrt, that's excellent advice.
    The reason I was considering the Monastic form is that if a priest were to join us I would want it to fulfill his office obligation. It just seemed simpler to have one set of psalms at this point.
  • Does anyone know if a priest may fulfill his obligation with an EF Office hour? Is there documentation that states that he must use the LotH? Just curious.
  • http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/VISEnglishSummPont.pdf:
    See article 9.
  • mjballoumjballou
    There's a nice recording of the EF Compline by the monks of Prinknash Abbey, paired with an "OF" version by the nuns of Stanbrook. It was done a while back and I know it's available on emusic.
  • BGP
    Michael, as Ioannes has referenced those in 'Major orders' may fulfill their obligation with the EF office as well as any publicly celebrated office if its an approved form of liturgy. I'm not sure where to get documentation on that second point, but if a parish priest attends vespers at a monastery he isn't obliged to repeat it in private according to the LOH, to fulfill his obligation.

mjballou, thanks for the tip but I just bought an old LP of Sunday vespers and Compline at Solesmes on ebay.
  • eft94530eft94530
    BGP: "where to get documentation"

For the Ordinary Form (OF) Liturgy of the Hours ...
    http://www.fdlc.org/Liturgy_Resources/general_instruction_of_the_liturgy_of_the_hours.htm
    See # 242.
  • mahrt
    Concerning fulfilling the obligation to the office by the EF, summum pontificum allows any priest the use of the old breviary.
  • BGP
    I just received in the mail a book published by the fssp "Ad Completorium" it's excellent. It has a good intro. with descriptions of the ceremonial. Rubrics throughout and english translations. Its lay out is so you go from front to back skipping over the things that don't apply.

It brings up some questions on ceremonial though. Its assumed that the choir is made up of clerics who sit during the psalms and remove their hats during the gloria patri. So what do you do with a lay schola? set up a temporary 'choir' outside of the sanctuary? bow for the gloria patri stand? what is the monastic practice? My shcola is small (5) with possibly 1 priest. any ideas?
  • you can find some music/selections of 1963/65 Compline,i think, at.
    http://gloria.tv/?media=22172
    and
    http://gloria.tv/?media=16740
    -
    plus the Prinknash one spoken of in earlier post,, wil be uploaded soon.
    pax
  • Should be the same as we do. The choir simply does all the things that apply to them. If you have women in the choir, in the EF, it's best to set up outside the sanctuary (we do, and just barely outside). With men in cassock and surplice, it is acceptable to sit in choir taking the place of the liturgical choir. Observe all the indications for bowing, sitting and standing. The officiant has his own place outside the choir along with the MC and Assistants, so there is already division between choir and celebrating clergy.
  • JMJ_coder
    BGP wrote:
    Also any thoughts about using monastic compline in a parish setting, my understanding is that the monastic psalms are fixed (Sundays are used each day)?

This could be problematic (the monastic compline). It may be one thing to join in an office of a different rite, but to do so on your own is something all together. I think the Canons regulating Sacramental life could be extrapolated to give light on this subject. For instance, the Eastern Canons (CCEO 701) allow for concelebration from diverse rites, but cannot do so on their own (cf. CIC 276, 846). In simpler terms, for example, a Latin priest may join in a Byzantine Liturgy as a con-celebrant, but cannot be the main celebrant of a Byzantine Liturgy (assuming he doesn't possess bi-ritual faculties).

Also, as a layman to lead such publicly in a parish setting would seem to violate Canon 214.

Note: none of the above applies to an EF LOTH, which is explicitly allowed now via Summorum Pontificum.
  • BGP
    JMJ, If we end up doing this we will be using EF Roman Compline so its not an issue. You may have something though, although your citations seem to deal with Divine liturgy/Mass (Eucharist). What I'm uncertain about is whether the Monastic form of the office is really a different rite?
  • JMJ_coder
    BGP, yeah the EF is fine!

The current CIC doesn't really seem to deal with the LOTH, but I thought that one could gain the necessary insights from the canons that deal with the Eucharistic Liturgy (since the LOTH is Liturgy, too). As to whether the monastic form (or, say, the Mozarabic or Ambrosan rite) is a separate rite, I've seen convincing arguments on both sides. My take is that regardless of whether it is a distinct rite or merely a different usage of the same Roman rite, its usage is only appropriate in its proper setting. Thus, for instance, the Dominican Liturgy (Eucharistic and Office) is only proper in a Dominican house, but not in a general parish.
  • Resurrecting an old thread but the current LOTH rubrics (i.e. the Roman rite, not monastic) do allow the use of the Sunday psalms every day for Compline.

Monastic compline will lack the Nunc Dimittis as pointed out already, as well as the responsory.  Those however are now optional in the monastic Office.  Monastic compline is very simple, ps. 4, 90 and 133 every day and designed to be recited from memory in the dark.  I've been to such an office at St. Wandrille abbey in France and it is quite moving.
  • Of all the hours of the Office, why Compline?

If you were going to have a public celebration of the liturgy of the hours, surely it would be solemn vespers with exposition and benediction?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    If you were going to have a public celebration of the liturgy of the hours, surely it would be solemn vespers with exposition and benediction?

Really? That would seem to depend upon the circumstances of the planned celebration of (a part of) the liturgy of the hours. Are you meaning to imply that the observances of Compline of which I am aware and currently occur regularly should be replaced? Hopefully not.
  • Mostly due to the traditional time that compline is celebrated. It is traditionally the hour of the office just before bed.
  • tomjaw
    I think Compline (EF form) is one of the best of the hours of the Divine Office. It is short and very easy to sing. The ceremony is also simple, and it can easily be said without a priest as celebrant.

The hour may seem late but I can`t see why Compline cannot be sung any time after Vespers, so any time after 6pm. Ideal for after dinner / supper etc.

For a Compline book Latin / German, here is the one we use:

http://www.introibo.net/download/gratisschriften/komplet.pdf
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Felicity
  • mahrt
    I agree that if possible, the public office should be Vespers and following it with Benediction is very effective.

The problem with Compline is that in a parish setting, it does not make too much sense to have just Compline since it takes only 15 or 20 minutes. On the other hand, Compline can be a nice way to conclude some other public event in the evening, a lecture, for example.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Our schola would sometimes chant Compline after our evening rehearsals. We kind of dropped it though, we found that at 9-9:15 pm when we finished, most choristers just wanted to go home unfortunately.