Angelus: Longer Format? With music?
  • My school is considering adding in about 15 minutes a day before lunch to say the Angelus.

Seeing as how it doesn't take that long to say an Angelus, is there a longer form? A sung form?

Perhaps: Angelus plus Sext of the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary?

Or a hymn too? I don't know, does anyone have any opinion or experience with this? It is my hope that they will be chanting the Ave Maria.

Any historical info anyone can give on a sung Angelus would be great!

Though this is going to be for pretty small kids (1st-5th grade) I think I can get away with having it in mostly Latin, the Aves in particular. English Gregorian would be good too, for the other parts.

Sorry for the jumbled nature of this post, but I am hoping someone will get the gist of what I'm looking for here.
  • You'll have to wing it on the V/R/Collect. But here is a version (I believe from High-Church Anglican sources):
  • And, if you are using a bell or chime, try a gong at the the beginning of each V/R, and the Ave Maria. That gives you nine gongs, with space in between. Then maybe peal away during the Collect.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Ben, have you considered this?
    Thanked by 1SpeakNSpirit
  • The one Jeff is recommending is the one sung daily before mass at our Parish School. We start at 5 to noon and have oodles of time left over. In fact, it's the junior boys choir's favourite song to sing if they get to pick.
  • Excellent! I am trying to think if it would sound good with the mode I Ave instead of the one indicated...

Is there a mode 4 Ave?

It seems kind of strange to me that there's not more Gregorian settings of the Ave Maria.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    my high school students LOVED singing that Angelus, and begged to sing it over and over, year after year . . . (After they spent the first three months complaining about it, that is) . . . I guess with teens, if they say they hate it, that's a sure sign they love it.
  • Pes
    The Angelus is usually a simple fast thing, isn't it, hence the recto tono and minimalist settings. I like Dom Charpentier's Mode 4 setting very much.

New modal settings are of course possible. Here's a new setting of the versicles and responses in Mode 5, with a Gregorian Ave in Mode 1. FWIW. I like modal mixture and the contrast. Some have told me it's ungainly, but I don't know. Comments, criticism welcome.

bgeorge, yes, I composed the V/R melodies.
  • Hey Pes,

This forum doesn't seem to play well with zips. Or anything really. Try to post your PDF elsewhere and then provide a link to it. Looking forward to seeing it. It's composed by you, yes?
  • Pes
    Ok, bgeorge, thanks for the tip. I edited the post above.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Pes, i find your version very beautiful. I took the liberty of posting it HERE, in case people have issues with that third-party download. Let me know if this is a problem.
  • Pes
    Thank you Jeff, you are too kind. There's no problem posting it at Lalemant or anywhere else. My own criticism is that the melody of "promissionibus Christi" doesn't quite do, and I know why, but I finally had to stop fiddling with it. If anyone wants to fiddle further, I could post the Meinrad/.doc source, but these things are simple enough. It might be fun just to create V/R settings in each mode and post them.
  • I have just made a booklet containing the Angelus (Charpentier), Regina Caeli, and grace before and after meals.
    A Blog post with mp3's can be found here:
    http://liberreader.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/booklet-angelus-regina-caeli-grace-before-after-meals/
  • BruceL
    Biebl Ave Maria if you're feeling like "doing it up"!
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Matty
    I have heard Steve's version of the Angelus at the Holy Name Church in Manchester. I wonder where it comes from? (I was told it was an Anglican setting.)
  • Matty
    Does anyone know where this setting comes from?
  • canadashcanadash
    I was wondering if anyone had the final verse "Pray for us O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ" as well as a chant for the "Pour Forth" prayer (as my children like to call it.)
  • BenBen
    Wouldn't they be sung to a simple dialog and collect tone, respectively?
  • Bgeorge,

I have written (and had published) a setting of the Angelus. It uses solo singers for the Versicle/Response, and 4-parts for the Ave Maria. The final prayer contains both.

If you're interested, it's available from canticaNOVA
    Thanked by 1canadash