English Eucharistic Prefaces set in the SolemnTone
  • Has anyone pointed the Eucharistic prefaces from the Sacramentary in the solemn tone? Any ideas where I can find them?

It wouldn't seem terribly difficult to do; so I'd be surprised if someone ahdn't done them.

Thanks for your help.

Steve Petrica
  • chonakchonak
    They've probably been done by Priory Press in their "Missa Cantata" book.
  • awruff
    Adam - I know, I know, no two chant geeks will ever agree on how to adapt to English, and I don't mean to be critical because I'm very glad that someone has set these. But I find that these settings deviate needlessly from the Latin tone in a way that the text doesn't require. The A cadence (C--- B A B) is simple tone, only the B cadence (AG GA B A ) is rather like the solemn tone. Two places I don't like in the very first setting: PROmised - the D has no basis in the Latin. will come again IN HIS glory - the missing A and the jump up a third makes it not sound like the Latin solemn tone.
    awr
  • Father-- Point taken, but I'm afraid you're going to have take this one up with Fr. Columba Kelly, who did this setting (which was done 20 years ago now!). I know that he often takes liberties in setting English texts, but it usually seems only for the purpose of honoring the nuance of the language. I'll be curious to see what he comes up with for the prefaces of the new translation!
    Adam
  • Adam -- Thanks for the St Meinrad's link. That pdf is remarkable for a freebie, but alas it's still just the simple tone. I'm glad to have a copy of it, though!

Steve