Te Lucis by the Cistercian Monks
  • I heard the Te Lucis by the Cuistercian Monks of Stift Heiligenkreuz: What version are they using? and where can it be found? it is different in the Liber.
  • mjballoumjballou
    My recollection is that the Cistercians have their own antiphonale, etc. Their chant is less elaborate, in keeping with their foundation as a reaction to what seemed an "ornate" Benedictine monasticism. You might find this information from the Cistercians at Spring Bank useful: Music Resources

I know they've been busy working on a new manuscript project.
  • Thank You. They have streamlined the melodies very judiciously. I like how they place a podatus on the penultimate syllable in the dactyls.
  • Simon
    I have a volume called Completorium (or something like that - I'm at my work) in my bookcase at home - full of chant for the office of compline. I believe it is published by the Franciscans. I recall it includes virtually dozens of melodies for Te Lucis. If you're interested I think I can scan these pages and include them as an attachment next week or so.
  • Originally, the first generation of Cistercians sent monks to Metz to gather what was considered the "purest" Gregorian Chant, Metz being sort of the Solesmes of the 11th century. When they brought it back to Citeaux, they were concerned that it did not follow the rules of Gregorian theory/modes and so re-wrote it to conform. A rather well known example is the Christus Factus Est, in the Roman version, and most others, on the word "crucis" the melody goes outside the mode. This of course was re-written, and if I remember correctly, it is a major triad on that word. Also many of the melismas in the Graduals, Tracts, and Alleluias were shortened, repetitions eliminated as were quilismas. This would account for the difference. The Franciscans who never had their own rite and followed the Roman would most likely have in their Completorium book the many Roman versions for the different ranks of feasts, seasons etc. There may be one close to the Cistercian Te Lucis you heard, but probably not exact. I do have the Cistercian Te Lucis if you are interested, just let me know, and I'll send on a copy.
  • Thank you Jeffry. I have just stumbled onto the work at Metz. And I have a the score which I was looking for. The text is perfect poetry in Latin - just like the Stabat Mater, perhaps the greatest poem. The "Te Lucis" melodies all make so much sense with the text's accents and sound, they are in a union that I have only found in propers and not usually in hymns. Thanks again . Can you imagine how long an answer to this inquiry would have taken in the 1980's?