Director of Music Ministries, Christ Church, Frederica, St. Simons Island, GA
  • Christ Church, Frederica is searching for a full time Director of Music Ministries with a BA in music or organ with a MA preferred. The candidate must be an accomplished organist and choir director with demonstrated experience in growing existing adult and children’s music programs, developing new programs and encouraging congregational music participation in the worship service. He/she must work well with musicians of all ages and abilities and be willing to play an active role in the life of Christ Church, Frederica. Familiarity with the Episcopal doctrine, liturgy and hymnal is preferred but a candidate will be considered who is willing to learn and understands the importance of liturgical music to a congregation's worship experience. Currently there is one adult choir, an adult bell choir and a childrens choir. There are 3 services on Sunday morning as the church seats only 185 people. Additional services are held at Saint Ignatius Chapel on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Currently only two services on Sunday morning have music. Christ Church, Frederica is one of the oldest churches in Georgia, founded on St. Simons Island in 1736. John and Charles Wesley held services beneath the massive oaks in what is now our churchyard. The current sanctuary, rebuilt in 1884, is a gothic style building with a tall belfry and narrow stained glass windows. The windows commemorate the early history of the church and St. Simons Island, as well as incidents in the life of Christ. St. Simons Island is located in SE Georgia on the Atlantic Ocean midway between Savannah, GA and Jacksonville, FL. The island is connected to the mainland by a four-lane causeway. Full job description available on request. To apply, send résumé/vita, references and audition CD of your organ playing with and without a choir to the address below.

Alice Barlow, Search Committee Chair (alicebarlow@mac.com)
    Christ Church, Frederica
    6329 Frederica Road
    St. Simons Island, GA 31522
  • Donnaswan
    This is a wonderful church. I sang a evening Prayer Service there a couple of years ago with combined Epis and Cath choirs . The priest used to live in the city I work in now. I'd take that job in a second if I could

Donna
  • It's a very attractive part of the world and quite an affluent community.
  • Yes, very wealthy. And very pricey resort hotels. I wonder how difficult it would be to find affordable housing there? They do have a schoolsystem there, I know.