Post your Ash Wednesday Music Plans....
  • What are you working on?
  • JDE
    I don't make my choir sing. Since we don't have a lot of vocal resources this year, we are doing cantor and congregation + vocal solos.

Highlights include the "Hymne to God the Father" arr. by Tippett, "Pour out your Heart before the Lord" by Bernard Molique, and "Like as a Father pitieth his Children" by David Davis. If I get the transcription done in time we may also do one or two of Beethoven's Gellert-Lieder, esp. No. 6, the "Busslied" (Penitential Song). That, and if my accompanist doesn't mutiny.
  • Donnaswan
    My choir always sings for Ash Weds b/c Mass is at 6PM, followed by regular Weds evening choir rehearsal, so very convenient for all. I'm sorry to say I haven't thought yet about what we will sing. We often sing Repton, though, or the Stainer "God so loved the World" for prep. I'm going to try to do chant antiphons this year in English for Imposition of ashes . Depending on if I have one of my good tenors. Also a setting of Decius "Oh Lamb of God most holy. Can't remember the arranger. As you cn see, not much Latin, except for Mass parts, sorry. Pastor would not like too much of it in past years. Don't know about new one yet.

Donna
  • My schola is doing Obrecht's "Parce Domine" for the imposition of ashes along with the "Parce Domine" chant.
  • JDE
    Must be nice to have the travel option. Since I work there, it's the only place I can go, so I just "go to war with the army [I] have" and try to get the most out of them i can get.

Even if I were to shop for another parish, it's a very sparsely Catholicked area, so the choices are few and (literally) far between.
  • Very Simply:
    Priestly People (Deiss)
    Ordinary Mass xi English
    Chabanel Psalm
    Meinrad Gospel Acclamation tone 3
    from http://saintmeinradmusic.org/downloads/Lenten_Gosp_Acc_Booklet.pdf

During the Distribution of ashes Viadana faux bordon "Miserere " tone 2
    OFF: Attende Domine (Latin/ English)
    Communion: proper Antiphon and verses all to tone 4
    Anima Christe (Marco Frisina)
    Lead Kindly Light WLP Just the refrain.
    Choir practice

Looking Forward to weekly Gorzkie Zale (Polish Lamentations) at Sacred Heart.
  • Full program not finalized yet, but will include...
    Miserere (Lotti)
    Psalm 56 (sung to Anglican chant tone)
    Responsorial Psalm (Isele, from Psalms for the Church Year)
    Lenten Hymn by Vincent Persichetti
  • marajoymarajoy
    Anyone else? (I need some ideas here!) :-)

And don't you LOVE how late Lent is this year? It's like--the middle of February, I'm well-recovered from Christmas, and Ash Wednesday is practically a month away!
  • Tentative line-up:

Hymn: Lord, Who Throughout These Forty Days
    Introit: Misereris omnium, Gregorian chant mode i
    Kyrie XVI
    Responsorial Psalm to Weber/Mundelein Psalter tone
    Lenten Gospel Acclamation, mode ii
    Distribution of Ashes: Immutemur habitu (Nunes García), with verses from Psalm 50(51) to a TTB-harmonized Weber/Mundelein tone.
    Offertory: Exaltabo te, Gregorian chant mode ii
    Sanctus XVIII
    Memorial Acclamation C, plainsong mode iv
    Our Father: Sacramentary/Snow
    Agnus Dei XVIII
    Communion: Qui meditabitur, Gregorian chant mode iii; Miserere (Lotti); Hide not thou thy face from us, O Lord (Farrant)
    Marian Antiphon: Ave Regina Cœlorum (Lotti)
  • Mount Calvary Church
    Baltimore, Maryland

Ordinary: Missa Parvula (Peter Maxwell Davies)
    Proper: Gregorian in English (Burgess/ Palmer, eds.)
    Antiphons: plainsong, except:
    Motet: Emendemus in melius
    at communion: Parce Domine
    2 hymns in English
    probably another small motet