School Mass Liturgy of the Word
  • Dear Colleagues,
    This Friday's OT reading is the account of David's infidelity with Delilah, the resultant child, and David sending his trusted general Uriah to certain death to remediate his "problem."
    Our school kids have had some other "harsh" readings from the OT of late, even of last Friday's convoluted (for the little ones) account of David's not killing King Saul, etc.
    Those of you who teach parochial school and follow the lectionary for school Masses, do you ever seek permission to alter the schedule, such as exchanging 3rd Friday, Year One in Year Two's stead.
    Advice, please. I prepare the Liturgy of the Word binder for the readers.
  • There is permission given since Vat-II that, in the mission field where new converts are participating, the Psalm may be totally omitted to not discourage them.

So the church does offer wiggle room.

And, since there was no intent to offer the entire Mass in the vernacular except in the mission field....any US church, except for those that offer Latin liturgies only, would seem to be covered under this rule.
  • GavinGavin
    Another option would be to celebrate a votive Mass instead.
  • CharlesW
    We read the "harsh" readings, then explain them to the children. They can take much more than you think.
  • Thanks.
    Charles, I have three daughters in their thirties, three grandkids. I've taught K-12 for and college for 25 years and been doing parochial school for five years. I know from resilience. Would you care to revise or reconsider your assessment of my abilities to discern how kids think, if not for the condescending inference, but out of simple charity?
    You don't know what priestly resources I work with, don't pass judgment upon my capabilities from afar and I won't of yours, my brother.
  • CharlesW
    No reflection intended on your capabilities. Our priests do an excellent job of explaining those scripture texts to children. We have had several such readings, and the priests handled them extremely well. The children understood the explanations and were OK with them. I, too, have taught for a number of years in a parochial school, and that's how things are where I teach.
  • BruceL
    I understand the hesitance to expose the children to these parts of scripture, but is it really up to us? I realize we need to preserve their innocence, but I think it would be overreaching. After all, not even the diocesan bishop really has the power to do this sort of change.

This is a subject close to my heart: at my place, we often use the children's lectionary, for which the indult is expired. I am not in charge of the selection of readings (although I do pick the sung psalm, which is always a common psalm), but it is very disappointing to me how the CL doesn't relate at all to the two-year cycle and often butchers the sanctoral cycle. I am always in favor of using the "real" lectionary; ideally, the priest would feel compelled to explain them in his homily...ideally... At a certain point, though, I feel we have to allow the Holy Spirit his room to give even the difficult readings a correct meaning in the hearts of those that receive those words.
  • CharlesW
    Exactly, BruceL. Our priests begin with the premise that out of something that we would normally consider bad, God had a plan and purpose. Then they explain all that in terms the children understand. Sometimes the kids get things the adults miss.
  • Maureen
    Of course, you could always have the priest intone the OT reading in Latin, and then have his homily all about the other readings. :)
  • CharlesW
    Interestingly, I was given a Bible by my aunt and encouraged to read it. I was six-years-old. It never did me any harm, only good. When I read something I couldn't understand, it was explained to me. The most important thing I learned was that we have a loving God who can bring good out of evil. So now we are sheltering and protecting children from scripture? Something is not right here. Is this a sign of our current times?
  • JamJam
    I read straight through Genesis to Psalms in an easy English Bible when I was in fourth or fifth grade. (I meant to read the whole thing but got lost in the psalms and never went on.) there was a lot of sex and gore, and I read all of it. Some of it was hard to take--especially that story with Lot throwing his virgin daughters out to be raped and killed! And the women crushing enemy leaders' heads with millstones or tent pegs. Rather than having it hidden from me, though, I think I would have greatly benefited from having those scriptures frankly explained to me.
  • Again, I thank those who offered advice. I can appreciate the remniscenses of how we seasoned citizens were not scarred, nee benefited by the unabashed exposure to the messy bits of the Bible.
    However, I wish to sink this discussion because I don't think those recollections necessarily apply to the particular circumstances. And that was my fault- we don't have grade level appropriate Masses, the entire school K-8 is present. I tried to emphasize that the previous Friday's OT lesson displayed the magnamity, allegiance to Saul and faithfulness to God on the part of David. A week later, King David is portrayed microscopically as the worst of cads. I mentioned, in reply, that our good and busy priests don't really consult in advance with me or the principal about homiletic content, so I was concerned about discontinuity if not cognitive dissonance which, with kids and even most congregations, seems to elicit apathy. No one herein can appreciate that point within our particular circumstances honestly but me. So the votive Mass option was appreciated.
    We need to remember that this current generation of elementary kids has evolved along with the technological toys and tools so much so that their devices have become their in loco parentis nannies.
    Graphic aggression and violence, seduction and sexual indiscretion, betrayal and unaccountability before a higher power, and physical and mental prowess trumping faith and spirituality surrounds them 24/7/365.
    So, my concern was not based upon "protecting" them from scripture as has been insinuated, but from providing them all (from the older ones who know all about Lady YaYa and sexting to the wee tots) with lessons that appeal to faithfullness, humility and sacrifice. Just this once. Otherwise we have never strayed from the lectionary since I have taken over the preparation of the Liturgy of the Word.
    Enough said.