Pentecost polyphony
  • Erik P
    Any suggestions for choral repertoire for Pentecost? Would be post communion motet--along the lines or difficulty level of sicut cervus (Palestrina)
  • chonakchonak
    It seems more suited to Lent, IMHO.
  • Sing the appointed Communio- Factus est repente. Then follow the chant (w/psalm verses from Rice) with either the
    setting of "Factus est repente" by Gregor Aichinger or William Byrd, both available on CPDL.org. Also check the
    Pentecost season selections on CPDL. (As an aside, Fr. De Marco's editions on CPDL allow you to transpose to
    pitch levels better suited to your singers or to match the chant.)
  • Yes, Sicut cervus is very Lenten. If you have a number of sopranos,Victoria's Dum Complerentur is a good one. I see that CPDL has it.
  • Erik P
  • incantuincantu
    Second the Aichinger. It's pretty easy, so you get a lot of bang for your buck.

And what's wrong with a good old fashioned Veni Creator Spiritus, perhaps in an alternatim setting that can include the congregation in Latin or English?
  • Proulx has such a setting of VCS through GIA in SAB, very accessible. Congregational part not intended.
  • Erik P
  • Erik P
  • Donnaswan
    Come Down, O Love Divine. A very easy anthem arr by David Ashley White with a nice, not difficult Trumpet obb. For those of us who can't throw in too much Latin

Donna
  • Donnaswan
    Oh, I just reread first post-- A post-communion motet. Maybe not Down ampney then witha trumpet?

Donna
  • Kathy
    Tallis' If ye love me might be nice. I love this video, btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=601oBxhG0UE
  • Donnaswan
    We do the Tallis most years

Donna
  • j13rice
    Howard Helvey wrote a beautiful setting of "O Lux Beatissima" that is not difficult:
    http://media.hinshawmusic.com/details.php?details=HMC1971&pdf=1&image=0
  • Donnaswan
    No kidding? I have never found much of his stuff that I like- too much piano acc. and not very Liturgical. I'll take a look at that though. I may actually have sung that now I come to think of it, b/c we go every other year to Hinshaw's workshops when John Rutter is there. Not again, I don't think- Rutter has been very disappointing the past few years.

Donna
  • If you've got the Palestrina Sicut Cervus down, still sing it, but at Easter! - it's the traditional motet at the blessing of the baptismal waters for the Easter Vigil. David's allusion to baptism makes it one of the most appropriate pieces for baptism.
  • Yeah, I discovered the Helvey piece at the Hinshaw workshop. I think it was the only decent thing presented. I was there for the same reason, to sing under Rutter (this was at least five years ago). He was ok, not worth the admission price. He is pretty entertaining. Anyway, "O Lux" is unaccompanied and very appropriate for liturgy. My group loves to sing it. There's a recording on the Hinshaw site.