In Defense of Chant - SURVEY
  • Average time to fill out survey: 17 seconds.

Click Take Short Survey

Click Read Results
  • IanWIanW
    40% of respondents (at the time of commenting) are converts. Fascinating.
  • I've not gone in and examined the data from the survey aside from the basic form you all can see, however, looking at the figures, I see an interesting trend in the numbers.
  • francis
    It would be interesting to have non musicians take this survey, perhaps on some catholic sites. EWTN? Catholic Online?
  • JamJam
    I'm surprised there are not more "Latin & English" answers for the language question. Do most traditional-minded Catholics really think that all Latin is still the best way to go? I love the Latin language, and by no means should Latin disappear from the Catholic liturgy. But it was only through translating the Greek/Aramaic liturgy into the vernacular that got Latin to being a liturgical language anyway, so you really can't take issue with the vernacular, can you?

haha, as of right now I am the only "other" in the religion one.

This is a very interesting idea, though, yes! I really would like to see a more representative sample of Catholics/liturgical protestants take it, too (because Musica Sacra is hardly a representative sample).
  • CharlesW
    Jam, once again I find myself in agreement with you.
  • The survey was intended to evaluate Musica Sacra people...no intention of surveying the general population.
  • chonakchonak
    And a vote for Latin as a preference doesn't imply that the person would necessarily try to implement that immediately.
  • francis
    If you did post it on another site, you may want to keep the title more generic and also inclde questions that offer other types of music used during the liturgy. Us musicasacra people are pretty much the chant community.
  • Really, this was just an opportunity to take a quick look at what people who would respond would say. Nothing more.
  • JamJam
    Well, it just sparked interest from us in what others would say, too, I guess. But that would have to be a different survey, since this does what you wanted it to.

Chonak, the question is still, do these folks think that the ideal is absolutely everything being in Latin? Because I don't think that's ideal, personally. Yes, Latin is wonderful, but the vernacular is a better catechetical tool and also it seems as if the Catholic Church, through Vatican II, has elevated the importance of the vernacular as well.
  • francis
    The liturgy is really not a catechetical effort in terms of presenting information. It promotes the faith through a mystagogical experience of signs and symbols of which the chant in Latin is a significant part. It rises far above the merely earthly, human elements that we comprehend with our limited intellect. It presents the deepest mystery of time and eternity through the mysterious drama of the Holy Sacrifice, and the chant is the perfect music of that experience.
  • Unless accompanied by bongos and tambourines. When that happens it does teach. Teaches people that they need to find another church, fast. There are more lay Catholics ready to jump to an Anglican-use parish than Anglicans wanting to join with Rome for the beauty of the language and the music of the liturgy, I figure.

Proportionately, there is more Latin sung in Anglican churches than Roman Catholic ones at this time...
  • I'm all for an all-Latin Mass and Office, but that's just me. I believe in the idea of a liturgical language. I doubt we could ever go back to it for everyone, though. Having one Latin Mass every Sunday and feast day in every parish might be the eventual goal. Also I'd prefer a Latin Holy Thursday Mass over the multi-lingual nonsense that we get now.
  • I would be interested to see an "In Defense of Sung Liturgy" survey, regardless of language. Because I think (and I think that the Church backs me on this) that the sung liturgy is the ideal, regardless of language.
  • Give me a list of questions and I will create it....this would interest me as well.
  • Don't have a lot of ideas at the moment, but possible questions that can be cleaned up for use (if suitable enough to be used).

How often should the Creed be sung?

Should the Confiteor be sung (if used in the Ordinary Form)?

To what extent ought the General Intecessions be sung, assuming the ability is there?
    - In their entirety, including invitation and conclusion of the celebrant
    - Invocation/response only
    - Not at all

How often ought Sung Mass be celebrated in a parish setting?
    - Designated holy days
    - Principal Mass on Sundays and holy days
    - At least one sung Mass daily

Preferred extent of singing the Mass, provided the musical abilities are there to execute all options below:
    - Through-sung liturgy, including readings
    - Through-sung liturgy, except readings
    - Sung propers (or proper substitutes if need be), ordinary, and responses, spoken prayers