Metric Funeral Propers
  • This morning I played a funeral which I would like to be the last time that I ever have to play "Be Not Afraid" ever again.

I find that mostly when people pick out music for funerals they select music that they are familiar with and have heard before at funerals, etc. They have a sentimental connection with the song, it seems meaningful to them. I have a list of "approved music" that people mostly try to work with but I always still hear "Can we please bend the rule just this once and have 'Amazing Grace', 'On Eagles Wings'... fill in the blanks.

But what I have also found is that if I take the time to explain to people that the Church has given us proper texts to sing at funeral masses which express perfectly the intention of the funeral mass they are usually shocked and very interested. I find that this checks the "meaningful box" that they need to satisfy--and then some. Then I show them the texts, and describe how they perfectly express our prayer for the deceased and how they blend perfectly with the rest of the rite and they are usually blown away! People are conventionally selecting "May Flights of Angels" out of Adoremus as the recessional for this reason.

I thought to myself today after finishing "Be Not Afraid"--what if I had proper texts set to familiar tunes that I could just as easily slide onto the list that would be just as persuading. Needless to say, during the homily I scratched out some ideas and I would love some feedback, editorial help, etc. If anyone else is happy with the final product I would gladly share the result in the commons.

Here's an introit text I scratched out, it is in Common Meter--"St. Columba" (The King of Love...) sounds very nice with it, or any other preferred tune could surely be used:

1. Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, our God we pray;
    And let your light perpetual shine down on them today.

2. For unto you our praise is due in Zion, saving Lord;
    So unto you we lift our voice, to you who hear our prayer.
    (It would be good to find a way for the final syllables to rhyme here, but I'm struggling with this... suggestions welcome!)

3. Repeat vs. 1

Please share your thoughts! How about the Offertory and Communion now?
  • incantuincantu
    Chris Tieze has already set the entrance song in his Intoit Hymns. The Song of Farewell has a metrical treatment in the OCP and GIA resources already. There are several settings of the De profundis (From Depths Of Need comes to mind) that is an alternate offertory in the OF. And, well, do you really want to sing a metrical hymn during communion? There are short refrains in English in By Flowing Waters, the People's Mass Book (which has English setting of all the propers) and in Marier's Hymnal.

I think your first effort is fine, except the word "today" doesn't sit well. No one says a hymn needs to rhyme, so you might be able to kill two birds with one stone by reworking that line (e.g. "...upon your servant shine").
  • Thank you, incantu, for the recommendations.

This are not things, strictly speaking, that I want to do, but any strategy that will forever steer funerals away from "On Eagles Wings", etc., will be of worth. The current reality is that people expect to have a say in the music for funerals, so if we can get them to choose propers that will be an accomplishment. If it were my choice I would surely chant the requiem mass every time. With enough catechesis people might even ask for it someday!
  • BruceL
    Oddly enough, in my current job, the priests of the parish plan the music for funerals. I have offered to talk to the families in question myself, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem that I am called on to do this unless the family specifically asks for me. So...we get a lot of Be not Afraid, etc. I'd be happy to have the metrical psalms!
  • Adam:

Sorry I never got back to you. I'll send you the ones I have completed by email.

Scott
  • IanWIanW
    I did a double take when I saw the thread title, thinking to myself that those pesky standardisers had maybe introduced a new SI standard for the ictus.
  • Would anyone who has the Tietze Introit book be so kind as to share his requiem introit text here? Since it's less than 10% of the entire text this should be legal, with credit given to the source.
  • BruceL
    Adam, I'm not seeing the funeral texts in Tietze...
  • Bruce--Thank you for checking. I was told that it was but not having the book couldn't check for myself. I appreciate your help!
  • Erik P
  • Aaron
    The introit for funeral Masses is set in the Tietze book, but it is listed under All Souls.
  • BenBen
    I believe that Kathy also did some or all of the Funeral Mass propers.
  • People request what they are familiar with. I find that few people sing at funerals anyway so singing the propers should not be a problem.
  • miacoyne
    Adam, I list suggested hymns for the funeral in the parish webpage under 'Funeral music guidelines.' And it also says that if there's a requested hymn that is not listed there, we try to do that before or after the Mass with the pastor's approval. I didn't get much requested hymns these days. (I also told the funeral homes to refer to the webpage to help people with music, because they were getting the requests.)
  • chonakchonak
    Glancing at Adam's note above (written two years ago), I first got the impression that he was drafting a text for the familiar tune of "Be Not Afraid", but he wasn't.

Not that it's impossible:

(start with the) Refrain:
    Eternal rest grant them, O Lord, and ever-
    lasting light forever shine on them.

Verse:
    Unto you, O God, our praise is due in Zion, saving Lord;
    unto you I shall fulfill my promise in Jerusalem;
    unto you I lift my voice, and call on you to hear my prayer,
    knowing that all men shall come to you.

Refrain (please)