Praeconium Paschale (Easter Proclamation)
  • Anhaga
    My pastor asked me to sing "Praeconium Paschale (Easter Proclamation)" from 1970 Missal on Holy Saturday. Is it licit for a layperson to sing for clergy who is unable to sing it? I am thinking about rejecting his request, because I just do not want to violate any norm.
  • I think it is allowed, because the 2002 Missale Romanum says about the Praeconium Paschale:
    Si vero, pro necessitate cantor laicus Praeconium annuntiat, omittit verba Quaprópter astántes vos usque ad finem invitationis, necnon salutationem Dóminus vobíscum.

This means a cantor (lay person) may, if necessary, proclaim the Praeconium Paschale, but the part from Quaprópter astántes vos until the end of the invitation, as well as the following Dominus vobiscum should be omitted.
  • dvalerio
    The former answer sums it up; I would add that, if possible, the Praeconium should be sung by the Deacon; if there is no Deacon or if the Deacon is completely unable to sing without assassinating this beautiful chant, then the Priest (or one of the Priests if there are many) should sing it; a cantor is a last resort, but is better than nothing (and better than having the Praeconium murdered).
  • Donnaswan
    Yes. above answer is correct. A cantor is a last resort, but I have done it both ways and believe me,I'd rather hear one of my good male cantors do it, than the deacon who did it for years and can't sing a lick. Now I have a good singing deacon, so he does it.

Hmm. I am thinking a recording contract- 'The Singing Deacons'

Donna
  • Anhaga
    Thank you all for the very informative replies!
  • Anhaga
    I have another question. Is it fine for more than two cantors to sing "Praeconium Paschale"? And is number of cantors related to the degree of solemnity of the Mass?
  • dvalerio
    > Is it fine for more than two cantors to sing "Praeconium Paschale"?

I don't think this suits the nature of the Exsultet, which is (so to say) made up of one «piece» only, and is thus to be sung by one person only, e.g. one deacon even if there are two or more, or one (lay) cantor even if it were possible to have two or more alternating the paragraphs.

> And is number of cantors related to the degree of solemnity of the Mass?

In principle, the more solemn a Mass is, the more cantors intonate the chants (e.g. the Introit or the Communion), to the extent that the abilities of the choir allow that. But this does not affect chants which are to be sung by one person only, as is the case of the Exsultet.
  • I have seen several editions of Easter Proc for two cantors, choir and I think a Deacon. I know GIA has a couple versions similar to this . I am assuming it would be licit? Or else GIA would not publish it?
    Donna
  • dvalerio
    > I have seen several editions of Easter Proc for two cantors

If that is (licitly) done over there, sorry for any confusion generated by my previous post, but I had never in my life heard of such a strange thing (and still think it's a bad idea...).
  • I think it would be impossible if you've got a Deacon at the Ambo, a couple of cantors at cantor stand and, as in my case, the choir and organ in the loft a good distance away. Very unwieldy.
    Donna
  • dvalerio
    And, moreover, contrary to tradition and to the nature of the Exsultet...
  • Yes, absolutely.
    Donna
  • Anhaga
    Thank you all for the advice!