Soooothing chant.
  • bgeorge77
    Ok, so straw poll, how many of you listen to chant on CDs/MP3s in your car, around your house whilst doing other things, or basically in any context besides actively praying, during the liturgy, or researching or practicing chant?

People get this impression of me that I'm a "big fan" of chant and walk around all day boppin' my head to chant tunes.

In fact, I mostly listen to classic rock and electronic music when I'm doing other stuff. In the car it's classical or Mexican music. It seems strange to have chant on "in the background" while I'm doing the dishes.

Things said to me: "Hey do you like that music where it's monks with a beat? Cause I know you like techno, and you chant, so..."
  • JamJam
    I do. Most of what I listen to in my car is Byzantine or Gregorian chant--lots of Ensemble Organum in there--or Latin/Slavonic polyphony... and very little of it is in English.

But I'll listen to classical, ambient, and jazz too... and popular music that people give to me. I have to say I've probably listened to more chant than anything else, though, in the past few years.
  • CharlesW
    After years of playing for masses, I find I don't listen to much music at all. Silence truly is golden. I do listen to an occasional organ recording, both to find out how someone else played a piece, and also for enjoyment. When my car was new, I put a CD in the player to see if it worked - it was Catherine Crozier at Grace Cathedral, if I remember correctly. The CD player hasn't been used since. Some days I am tired and don't want to hear another musical note.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I listen to almost anything other than rap, hip-hop, or Barry Manilow. My iPod has a mix of chant, polyphony, October Project, learn french in your car, disco, Grateful Dead, and a touch of Israeli techno pop. I just hit shuffle. And yes, I spend a lot of time on the road.

In the house, I listen to the music that's playing in my head - no need for amplification.
  • No Manilow!? C'mon MJ, I'm guessing you have every hit memorized. We were both there when those hits were coming out. Fess up.
  • I'm with CtB, I pretty much listen to sportstalk. If really stressed I might put on Brian Eno's MUSIC FOR AIRPORTS. Now that's soothing.
    CtL
  • chonakchonak
    +1 for the Eno.
  • I have a secret love for bluegrass and Irish traditional. Ok, so its probably not much of a surprise to some of you. We play classical, incl. some opera, polyphony, and (good) jazz during homeschool and mealtimes. EWTN radio fills the house for some programs.

Both my husband Bill and I are musicians, and we do find ourselves loving silence more and more. I need some time to entangle all the music I've heard through the day, and discover melodies of my own.

The only genre that makes me really want to tear my hair out is techno. I've had enough metronomes, thanks!!!

MJ, I share your feelings for Barry. I OD'd on him and John Denver as a kid in a musically challenged home. :) Guess that helps explain my distaste for soft rock and pop folk in the Sacred Liturgy...
  • francis
    Lotsa polyphony (almost always early music), Bach organ works, Part once in a while, and for Rock, almost exclusively old Yes. Also, jazz. Rarely chant unless I am working in front of my computer. NEVER Beethoven or Mozart or Wagner and most definitely despise ALL opera. (it's like sitcom for your ears-a waste of musical notes) Love Stravinsky and Poulenc. Like Barber. Heard enough of Handels Messiah to last for the rest of my life.

O... On my iPod I have Manhatten Transfer, Norah Jones, Bella Fleck and... Michael!

Also can't stand country or blue grass.

(yea, ok, my taste in music is eclectic and well defined... Rational? NOT!)

really like some techno... And compose it too. Would love to own a VIRUS.

http://www.access-music.de/page/render/lang/en/p/54/do/Virus_TI2_series_feature_overview.html
  • GavinGavin
    I'll throw chant into a themed playlist (mostly listen to music by season or week) if I'm listening to church music, which is often. Other than that, no, it certainly is not my favorite type of music, nor my favorite type of church music, nor is Gregorian even close to my favorite type of chant (Byzantine chant with an ison wins that one). I will say that somehow my involvement in chant has really broadened my appreciation of other music, and I enjoy pretty much everything except country and "Christian" "music". I even like to play rap really loud when I pull into the church parking lot... Still, my enjoyment music is mostly French Romantic organ music and German Romantic orchestral.

Somehow I always figured Francis for a techno fan.. something about his music just screams techno... The Great Fugue made me want to put on gaudy clothes, drink a gin & soda, and dance.
  • I only listen to music, except when I enjoy listening to silence (but this, too, is music.)

My listening varies greatly: Perotin to Palestrina to Part or Hovhaness. The Tudor-Stuart repertoire. Anglican Chant, All Chant (except the lifeless, accompanied monks of Silos), Bach, Buxtehude, et al., Chamber music, the Symphonists, my recitals, Glenn Gould. My favourite Groups are King's College, St John's College, etc., Westminster Cathedral and ditto Abbey, et al. Opera I for the most part like very much - though more serious than light. While not 'approving' of Wagner, I am a great lover of his operas. The only period which, for the most part, I do not enjoy is the Romantic age - with a few exceptions such as the Franck chorales and Brahms.
  • Simon
    As far as chant is concerned - only sing it. And than only vespers, compline and matins (office repertoire). Seldom sing a gregorian chant mass. Never listen to chant except very occasionally if someone asks me on my opinion on the style of how a certain schola performs. Other singing activity includes Anglican church music for evensong (weekly - enjoy that very much) and the odd RC mass (once a month - boring, too much lingua franca music. Regard singing masses (in Dutch - I live in Holland) as a sort of penitence for my not inconsiderable sins). My listening is probably 90 percent vocal church music - from early organum to the Renaissance to the more modern era. Some organ music. The other 10 percent is music from my youth - the Beach Boys, some Beatles and Rolling Stones but also Queen and the occasional jazz and blues.
  • Actually, I seldom listen to music. Especially when I'm driving long distances, any (I really do mean any - including Wagner, or even "hard rock") simply puts me to sleep. I've taken to listening to 'books on tape/CD' when I drive.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Music Director at he Cathedral in my Diocese often tells a rather funny story of how their young child will either grow up to love or hate chant as he and his wife often sing Gregorian chant while putting him/her to bed, bathing him/her, etc...

I smirk whenever I consider someone loudly chanting Credo III while tucking a child in, the child looking horrified.
  • incantuincantu
    Church music is for church. So unless I'm chanting the Office by myself at home -- which I don't do -- or studying a particular piece or musical style, I'm not listening to chant and polyphony at home. That seems to me as bizarre as singing secular-styled pop music during the Mass.
  • These days I listen to a lot of NPR programs in the car, but at home I prefer music. I can "background" -- yes it can be a verb - anything that does not have text. In particular my guilty pleasure is Impressionism and works to borrow from it, like English string music in folk-song tradition. I have found that Ravel's Le tombeau de Couperin (orchestral version) can make me feel better no matter how bad things are going. I do hate Bolero, though.. I can do about 30 minutes of polyphony before my ears get tired, but I can listen to instrumental music from about 1680 to the present for hours. My one exception is violin solo music. The way that violin concertos and sonatas are recorded just drives me crazy. Why does the violin have to be so forward in the mix? It's shrill enough acoustically! There are also times that I love jazz, salsa, Irish traditional, and older pop music. I can still rock out on occasion.
  • CharlesW
    Agree with nearly all that has been said. I use chant for church, but don't listen to it otherwise. It's like listening to Sowerby - it develops an irritating edge after awhile. Perhaps part of that "edge" is the sameness of it. After a point, it all starts sounding alike. I am afraid I don't like either chant or Sowerby well enough to listen to them for very long. Chant is "working music" more than pleasure music. It has a function in worship, and I am fine with it only within that function.
  • Donnaswan
    Charles, I agree with you - a little chant goes a long way on the car radio. And also about Sowerby-whatever made you think of him, anyway? I remember when Gloria Dei came to our little town a few years ago, and devoted half their program to him. Irritating.
    Currennly, I am listening to a CD of VW choral music, which includes 'Lord Thou hast been our Refuge for SATB and solo quartet, the Mass in G, O vos Omnes, Down Ampney, O taste and see. Another of my favs for travelling is his Sea Symphony. As a singer, I like things with words. I used to make my violinist daughter annoyed by saying if it doesn't have words, it doesn't count. LOL
    But When I'm home I tune in to Dr Bill Bennett. Love him.

Donna
  • Michael, I'll second your guilty pleasure in the Impressionists and particularly your reaction to the orchestral version of Le Tombeau. I had an old LP set of Pierre Monteux conducting the complete orchestral works of Ravel, and Le Tombeau--especially the opening movement--always makes smile. It's somehow tied up in my head with C. S. Lewis' quote: Joy is the serious business of Heaven.

Bolero got a solid three days, one spring, while I was really training my ear in orchestration AND studying percussion in order to be a fully competent choral/orchestral conductor. (I can't snare drum to save my soul--my two wrists operate on entirely different timelines, but I was a good 3-4 mallet player and tympanist--and when I talk to percussionists they respect me. Maybe it's because I can describe the sound I want, knowing that it can be accomplished, but don't dare tell them how to accomplish it :-)
  • Patricia,

I have the Dutoit - Montreal recording and it is one of my most prized possessions and most played CDs. I recall that Ravel hated Bolero too. It was a musical experiment that he never intended to have performed. Debussy's La Mer is a close second that can send "waves of peace" over me.
  • Oh, and how can I forget?
    Art song- I love sung poetry.
  • CharlesW
    Donna, I remember that Gloria Dei concert. It was mostly Sowerby. I think the reason I thought of him, was that his choral compositions remind me of what I would describe as eerie wailing. Chant can have that quality, too, after a while.
  • Donnaswan
    A little of Sowerby goes a long way. A case of a composer who had his day, and it has passed. I remember singing some of those anthems years ago at my first paid job at Germantown Pres Church under Bob Carwithen organist/choirmaster when I was at Westminster.

And speaking of old-fashioned, I think I'm going to do the Stainer Crucifixion again for Palm Sunday evening prayer. Many people hate it, but I have a sneaking liking for it, esp the hymns, and since I have two very fine tenors why not?
    And a good baritone
    Donna
  • CharlesW
    I am attached to the Stainer, as well. If you do it in the evening, I could even come and hear it. I did one selection from it for Good Friday last year.
  • Donnaswan
    We will def do it in the evening at 7 or 7:30.
    Donna