Extreme interpretations of rhythm.
  • bgeorge77
    I'd like to have some examples of odd or extreme or "new" interpretations of chant rhythm (and no I don't mean putting up techno tracks with "the monks" on the top).

Reading about semiology lately and I guess I just want to get an idea of the various schools of thought, even if those interpretations are deemed to be wrong. It's hard to read a description and know what they're talking about if I haven't heard it.
  • In my own understanding, it is terrible oversimplification to divide the world between old solesmes and semiology. There are as many chant interpretations as there are chanters, and things change over time even with a single director. No surprise: this is music. It's the same with any music. You can look around youtube and compare chanting of many groups and individuals. No two are alike. I don't see a problem with this, and I tend to think that the intensity of this whole debate is a legacy of the old days and the attempt to cobble together and enforce a single method for the whole world to be used forever. This attempt annoyed everyone when it was tried in the old days and people still worry about it. We need to get used to the idea of diversity in opinion and interpretation. That's my sermon for the day.
  • bgeorge77
    You might find the following interesting, available at EMusic Downloads:
    Missa de Angelis
    Ensemble Venance Fortunat
    Anne-Marie Deschamps-Director
    Bayard Musique
  • incantuincantu
    By listening to recordings of various approaches you can, pace Jeffrey, discover something about differences in intent. Yes, you will hear differences from one Solesmes method group to another, and in two different performances by the same group. But in those you will likely find different ways of in interpreting the same intent, or various ways of reaching the same goal. Their ultimate success will be judged on how well they achieve those goals, as well as on the rendition's overall beauty and worthiness. Listen to recordings of groups that take a different approach, and you will hear that their goals are not the same, and that knowledge will help you to judge those performances accordingly.

Consider this:

Jubilate Deo (Turco)

Perhaps the most salient feature of this performance vs. that of a group reading out of the Liber Usualis, is that it includes some of the verses found in the Offertoriale Triplex. That alone is a substantial difference. When I listened to this for the first time just now I recognized in it parts that had the same intent as I was seeking when we sang this antiphon yesterday, whether or not that was evident in our own performance. You can also find a recording of "Gustate" by this same group on youtube. I can also recommend the recordings of the women's schola In Dulci Jubilo with the same director ($9 from Naxos records). You will hear differences between the two groups in spite of their having the same director. Most of all, these are just gorgeous chant recordings, among the best I have heard.