pre-recorded music during liturgy, stations, etc.
  • francis
    I am wrestling with the fact that one of our Stations of the Cross utilizes an Audio CD from start to finish and need information about why the church discourages the use of pre-recorded material. I am aware of SttL addressing this issue, but wondering if it is addressed in previous liturgical documents. HELP!
  • incantuincantu
    I don't think there's anything wrong (read: illicit) about using recorded music for a devotion such as the stations (a Mass is another story). However, if it's going to be held in the church and open to the public I would ask: "Is recorded music of the same quality as the artistic depictions of the stations? the book of the Gospels? the vestments being worn? the stained glass windows? Is it the best and finest that we have the ability and resources to offer to God? Is it the finest reflection of our community?" If the answer to all of those is "yes" I would ask "Can we celebrate the stations with dignity and solemnity without music?" If the answer is "no" maybe this is your best choice. A few years ago I starting having my choir sing a harmonized version of the Stabat Mater hymn in Latin in between unison congregational verses of "At The Cross Her Station Keeping." No one has asked us to go back to doing it any other way.
  • dad29
    Previous legislation on 'pre-recorded' ("mechanically reproduced") music is found in Pius XII's work(s) on Sacred Music.

While it only applies to Masses (IIRC), the theory is simple: 'participation' by its nature is live, not recorded. One suspects that the same theory applies to devotions.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    dad29

And here is yet another case where 'personal taste' wanders across the boundary line of abuse. Will it ever end?

Do you know which documents in particular address this issue?
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • Maureen
    Even for a non-liturgical devotion like the Stations, it seems... insulting. It's like you're saying simultaneously that the parish people aren't good enough to hold devotions without some outsider on a recorded medium; and that the parish can't be bothered to actually do its own music or pray its own prayers to God, because He's not really all that important.

Also, I don't care how good the sound system is; it's bound to sound tacky. Unfortunately, well-meaning people keep trying to recreate the prayerfulness of listening to their earbuds while praying at home or alone in their car or whatever.

As soon as you have more than one person, or you include more space for the audio to travel than what's between your ears, it's not the same. If you're praying in church as a group, it's definitely not the same. But for some reason, that's not obvious to everyone.
  • francis
    It is the ultimate in tacky
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Looking for some guidance on whether or not to allow recorded music in church. I understand that it is not permitted during a Mass, but what if a couple wants to have a CD playing for prelude music at their wedding or afterwards during a receiving line. Does the prohibition only apply to the actual liturgy or would include the time immediately before and after it. Document citations would be helpful. Sing to the Lord offers the following:

Recorded Music
    93. Recorded music lacks the authenticity provided by a living liturgical assembly
    gathered for the Sacred Liturgy. While recorded music might be used
    advantageously outside the Liturgy as an aid in the teaching of new music, it should
    not, as a general norm, be used within the Liturgy.

94. Some exceptions to this principle should be noted. Recorded music may be used
    to accompany the community’s song during a procession outside and, when used
    carefully, in Masses with children. Occasionally, it might be used as an aid to prayer,
    for example, during long periods of silence in a communal celebration of
    reconciliation. However, recorded music should never become a substitute for the
    community’s singing.

Bottom line, is prelude considered "within the Liturgy." Tackiness aside. Some battles aren't worth fighting.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>is prelude considered "within the Liturgy."

My organists always seem to think so.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • If one believes that Jesus is present in the tabernacle, silence before and during liturgy is the sign of respect. If one does not believe, or has doubts, they shoudl be silent to respect those that do.

Playing background music by CD breaks the reverent silence and makes people feel comfortable to visit, talk, play video games, text and even make telephone calls.

Which sign do you want on your church door:

All are welcome, come in and enjoy yourselves.

Christ is present in the Tabernacle, keep silent and prepare yourself through prayer for the liturgy.

Why would there be a receiving line in the church....isn't difficult to get all those protestants to genuflect when the receiving line passes in front of the tabernacle?

If there is a lit candle showing the presence of the Lord, then silence should reign. Otherwise, the tabernacle doors should be open, the Blessed Sacrament removed in procession prior, so that the CD may be played and people visit.

Then the Blessed Sacrament should be returned in procession and the liturgy commences. If the decision is made to leave the Blessed Sacrament out the couple should be sent to the nearest courthouse to get married.

And to answer the question posed, how do the people sing the Stabat Mater at each station with a CD playing?
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • francis
    they dont sing anything. it is strictly a listening cd
  • francis
    MJO

O come on... you do that all the time! Just buffer your thinking with nicer words, then you can leave them up!
  • Francis -
    I think that all of you can probably read my thoughts on this.
    If it's any help, it reminds me of the title of a certain Dostoesvki novel I'm reading...
    except that the people who do this are not not near so charming (nor smart) as D's character.
    (There! [And I used nicer words}.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Is it "The Dream of a Ridiculous Man?" Oh please let it be The Dream of a Ridiculous Man.
  • Francis,

Why have they abandoned the traditional form of the stations? Kneeling, standing, processing to the next station while singing?
  • francis
    We do that most of the time, but once or twice during Lent we have this CD thing going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C13pmXiz8Us
  • Pretty apt guess, Adam, but, actually, the title is a little more brief...
    brief, as in two words, the first of which is 'the'.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The Adolescent?
    :)
  • Try 'Idiot'.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hello? Someone calling me?
    Thanked by 2E_A_Fulhorst Spriggo
  • The ban on pre-recorded music for liturgy was in relation to the growing use of the "Barrel Organ" in churches. Many such instruments were later converted to "finger organs".
  • francis
    A barrel organ (or roller organ) is a mechanical musical instrument consisting of bellows and one or more ranks of pipes housed in a case, usually of wood, and often highly decorated. The basic principle is the same as a traditional pipe organ, but rather than being played by an organist, the barrel organ is activated either by a person turning a crank, or by clockwork driven by weights or springs. The pieces of music are encoded onto wooden barrels (or cylinders), which are analogous to the keyboard of the traditional pipe organ.

wiki
  • dad29
    HartleyM: prove it.

The language is very clear and it is not restricted to 'barrel organs.'

As to providing recorded music pre-wedding (or pre-funeral, or pre-whatever)--the underlying premise seems to be that the church is a nice place to bring your favorite background music into.

• Here is the document that forbids it:

De musica sacra et sacra liturgia (Instruction on Sacred Music and Sacred Liturgy)
    Sacred Congregation for Rites, September 3, 1958

D. Musical instruments, and mechanical devices.

70. Musical instruments which by common acception, and use are suitable only for secular music must be entirely excluded from all liturgical functions, and private devotions.

71. The use of automatic instruments and machines, such as the automatic organ, phonograph, radio, tape or wire recorders, and other similar machines, is absolutely forbidden in liturgical functions and private devotions, whether they are held inside or outside the church, even if these machines be used only to transmit sermons or sacred music, or to substitute for the singing of the choir or faithful, or even just to support it.
    However, such machines may be used, even inside the church, but not during services of any kind, whether liturgical or private, in order to give the people a chance to listen to the voice of the Supreme Pontiff or the local Ordinary, or the sermons of others. These mechanical devices may be also be used to instruct the faithful in Christian doctrine or in the sacred chant or hymn singing; finally they may be used in processions which take place outside the church, as a means of directing, and supporting the singing of the people.

72. Loudspeakers may be used even during liturgical functions, and private devotions for the purpose of amplifying the living voice of the priest-celebrant or the commentator, or others who, according to the rubrics or by order of the pastor, are expected to make their voices heard.

73. The use of any kind of projector, and particularly movie projectors, with or without sound track, is strictly forbidden in church for any reason, even if it be for a pious, religious, or charitable cause.
    In constructing or remodeling meeting halls near the church or under it (if there is no other place), care must be taken that there is no direct entrance from the hall into the church, and that the noise from the hall, especially if it is going to used for entertainments, shall in no way profane the holiness, and silence of the sacred place.

Link to the document, which also has guidelines about several other important issues such as the placement of the organ and electronic "bells".

http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html#anchor36297672

Thanked by 1eft94530
  • STTL, which has no binding force whatsoever in itself, clearly contradicts this document when it suggests recorded music is permissible within the walls of a church. Period.
    Thanked by 1eft94530