Alternatim Graduals?
  • A correspondent writes:

As a boy, I sang in the Cathedral Choir in Sydney, Australia from 1963-1971.
    Each Sunday prior to the "changes", we always sand the Gregorian Introit,
    and often the Gregorian Communion. However the Gradual, Tract, Alleluia,
    and Offertory, and sometimes the Communion antiphon were sung alternating
    between Gregorian and Polyphonic Psalm Tones. I think I remember it being
    said that the polyphonic tones were by Palestrina. They were very beautiful
    and corresponded to the 8 modes. We sang then by heart, so I never really
    saw much of the music.

Internet and library searches have not yielded any success in tracking down
    these polyphonic Psalm Tones. Would any of your experts be able to direct me
    to a source from them?
  • Just a theory here... Maybe the psalm tones used were from "falsi bordoni" for Vespers Psalms or Magnificats by Palestrina? I'd suggest looking at the collected works of Palestrina to find his psalm settings for Vespers (or any Office, for that matter - I'd look at his Miserere and Benedictus for Tenebrae, and maybe a few of his introits to see how he composed the psalm material that followed the Antiphon).
  • I'm resurrecting this post from a year and a half ago...

To reiterate the question above--Does anyone here know of any existing "polyphonic psalm tones" or of adjustable "falsi bordoni" type melodies in the 8 modes? I wonder if there is a way to extract them from the polyphonic compositions of a given composer as it is suggested above (I haven't found much on CPDL). Such a set of "falsi bordoni psalm tones" might offer choirs yet another way to sing proper texts in simple yet rich and beautiful way. Any thoughts on this?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    absolutely.

there are hundreds here in all 8 modes, and we use them constantly and they are fantastic

. . . and look at Sam Schmitt's compositions on the St. Chabanel site, as well
  • Nice, Jeff! Thanks!