Searching for Hymnals
  • Our choir at Immaculate Conception Parish in Lapeer, Michigan is in need of this Hymnal "Hymns Psalms and Spiritual Canticles" by Theodore Marier; the 'Organ-Choir' edition. We would hope that some one out there might have an extra copy or two that we could purchase. We will gladdly pay all costs and shippintg. This edition is out of print but we are hoping there may be some extra used ones. Thank You,

email: smpatico@cardina.net
    Connie Bowman
    87 Oakview Drive
    Lapeer, Michigan 48446
  • Good luck. They are out there, but can be hard to find as you know.

moconnor
  • rich_enough
    Yes, it is very difficult to find an organ-choir copy of PHSC out there - I've been looking for years on the internet with no luck. The copy I do have I got from a parish that didn't want them anymore! (sad story) Your best bet might be to contact the Boston Archdiocesan Choir School, the original publisher of the hymnal. Here's their website:
    http://www.bostonboychoir.org/
    Good luck!
    Sam Schmitt
  • dad29
    Heh...I have one (and only one)--autographed by Ted Marier.

About 4-5 years ago I wrote to BACS, inquiring if they might re-print the hymnal for our parish, which would have ordered around 500 of them.

Not even a reply letter.

Sad.
  • Jscola30
    Expect the next reprinting of this wonderful hymnal to come out after the new missal translation. I keep dreaming about what is going to be in there...
  • Also, if all goes well, the greatest hymnal in 100 years will be coming out from the CMAA this spring. Stayed tuned...
  • francis
    JT:

We are about to buy a hymnal. What is the prognosis for CMAA getting theirs to print?
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    I think he means the Parish Book of Chant.
  • francis
    thnx, dan. wasn't looking at the date of the last post.
  • francis
    I am looking at:

St. Michael
    Collegeville
    Worship

Anyone know of any others?

JT: Is there anything in the works for a second edition of the PBC including the extended versions of the chants that you all put up recently? My schola are all interested in getting their own copies.
  • GavinGavin
    Francis: I highly recommend Adoremus. Had you considered that one, or do you have some objections to it?
  • francis
    I really like Adoremus, but it is just lacking in enough content. The other hymnals have a good 700 hymnns or so.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I think you should also seriously look at the St. Michael Hymnal
  • francis
    Jeff:

That is the one I am tending toward at this point. That publisher stuck to the 'right' texts.
  • I consider Worship to be unacceptable because of the bastardization of the texts.
  • We currently use Adoremus for our monthly Latin OF Mass. But I find it too short on hymns, too.
    Jeffrey- do tell about the CMAA hymnal. My new pastor is looking into hymnals, and I'd want to tell him about that.