PDF file into a Finale MUS file ??????
  • Can anyone tell me how (if possible) to convert a PDF file into a Finale MUS file ? Thanks!
  • Save it as a TIFF. (on a MAC this is possible through the PREVIEW program that comes with it, for example)

Then use the SCAN import feature of Finale to get as much as possible of it imported.
  • Or just scan it physically. I don't have the expensive version of the scanning software, so I can't say if it's any better than the lousy minimal stuff that comes with Finale.
  • francis
    I have never had any luck scanning music into sib, but finale may have better capabilities
  • CharlesW
    Finale is a pain in the rear. I have had it for years and wish I could find something better and easier to use.
  • If Finale is a pain in the rear, you are obviously inserting the disk in the wrong place.
  • Before we enter into Finale/Sibelius war, let me tell you about an organ committee that I just met with. They were in a quandry because they preferred the beauty and warmth of the sound of one organ but then were told by the rep for the other company that his technology was superior.
  • CharlesW
    Now Noel, I thought such miscalculation only happened to you elderly people. ;-) Be careful. Your wife will leave you at Wal-Mart one day, and you will wander there forever. ;-)

Finale is difficult to use, and has a long learning curve. When I was in college and used it rather often, it wasn't a problem. Now that I use it less frequently, I have to keep the instruction manual nearby. Sibelius fans have told me it is easier to use, but given the expense of either software, it's not practical to experiment with both of them. So I use what I have, Finale, and generally curse it every time.

I have heard the beauty of sound vs. technology argument for years. There may not be an answer to that one.
  • JDE
    Sibelius has the reputation of being easier to use. I haven't tried it myself, mainly because of the financial implications of switching when I've been comfortable with Finale since 1996.

I will say that the scanning/import capabilities of Finale 2010 are vastly superior to what they were even a few years ago. All you need is a .tif and you're in business. You will have to do some tweaking, especially checking for extra notes in the measures, but you can do that by flipping through it in the Speedy Entry tool.

Best of luck.
  • Finale vs Sibelius is like PC vs Mac. Those of us who took the time to learn Finale won't give it up easily. Mostly I prefer it because of the scroll view and the millions of ways to customize the output. Here's hoping that Fin2010 finally made percussion make sense...
  • francis
    Pc verses mac

not a good comparison Michael

macs are superior but I won't start that war here!
  • Well, it worked - SORTA - I had to use Adobe Acrobat to make the TIFF file (Reader wont do that function). Once I Imported it over to my FINALE 2009, it worked for only a few measures and well, it was a jumbled mess. I was hoping to play this composition back and hear what it sounds like. It is a composition for Viola and piano by Joseph Jongen.

By the way, if you aren't familar with the works of Joseph Jongen, you should be. His stuff is quite beautiful and his sacred choral works are not well known but worth knowing.
  • Don't get me started mouse boy!
  • francis
    That's "Mighty Mouse" to you, virus brain!!!
  • CharlesW
    hehehe LOL
  • Oh yeah, there are not enough Macs to prompt anyone to write a virus for them.. ; - )
  • CharlesW
    Macs seem like well-built machines. It's their much higher cost that keeps me away from them. Wasn't Finale originally developed for Macs, or do I remember that correctly?
  • Would anyone have a suggestion about the best way to learn Finale or Sibelius, including setting up templates that are useful for choral and organ music and chant? I'm fairly good with most standard office productivity software, but both Finale and Sibelius have stumped me. I've tried to learn both on my own and couldn't get past the canned exercises in the tutorials. While I'm glad my manuscript skills are strong, I would really love to learn how to use these. Any suggestions?
  • Dan, Sibelius should be pretty straightforward, although I don't use it and can't really say for sure. Finale takes time and some trial and error. It was designed first for the Mac, but the second version was already adapted to PC. What is it you are trying to do? Maybe I can help.
  • CharlesW
    I have Finale 2009, and don't plan to change it for a year or two. I may bite the bullet and go with Sibelius next time I upgrade.
  • francis
    Used to use finale but last ten years on sib. Sib rox.
  • I am interested in opening a pdf file in FINALE because FINALE can playback the score and so give me an idea of what it sounds like.
  • JamJam
    LINUX

oh, wait

wrong argument.

I don't think you can really say that one is better than the others: macs, linux, pcs; finale, sibelius.... One would be better for what you want to do with it. If you love problem-solving and being 100% in control of your computer (and never getting viruses), then linux is for you. If you want everything to work right out of the box, especially for stuff like videos and media, then go Mac. If you want the business standard for certain software, or if you want to play high-end computer games, then you gotta go PC.

Like, I love linux to death, but it's a pain with hardware compatibility, and when you DO run across a bug or problem it takes many hours to fix. Once you find the fix you understand your machine like 12x better, but still...

so, yes. I actually own Finale. Why? I don't know... I don't use it... hmmm. My parents bought it for me when they bought my sister a comparably-priced electric guitar. I've never had much trouble with it, when I do use it. Then again, I'm no music genius, and I don't do music for a living, either.
  • francis
    Jam

You can either spend your time building and maintaining your instrument or you can spend all your time playing the music... That is my PC to Mac comparison.