Children Singing Stabat Mater?
  • Would it be appropriate to adjust the text of "At the Cross Her Station Keeping" so that it's more easily sung by a young children's choir? My Pastor would like the K-2 choir to sing for the 4th week of Lent which will focus on Mary's sorrow. Any advice on the wisdom of this piece in this setting?

Many thanks.
  • Kathy
    Unslumbrous, it's tough theology but true, ultimately hopeful in its final verses.

I've re-translated it; shoot me an email if you're interested in seeing it: hymnwriter@gmail.com.
  • bgeorge77
    There are tons of translations that are more or less sorrowful.

I think kids can basically get a lot of it though.

Thoughts:
    1. Use the old melody found in the Liber Usualis, rather than the slightly saccharine one found more commonly.
    2. Use the first verse in Latin as a type of refrain, with English verses for the rest.
  • Kathy
    There are a lot of translations, but kids aren't going to have any idea what most of them are talking about.
  • Kathy,

Interested in sharing this through the PBEH? We do not have a Stabat at this time and yours, I'm sure, would be worth having.
  • Kathy
    Thank you, Noel, for the compliment!

I'd better hold onto this for the moment. However, you might like to know that I've heard that there was a good PD translation by "G.J.G." published in the U.S. Democratic Review of 1842, which begins Broken-hearted, lo! and tearful/ bowed beside that Cross so fearful/ stands the Mother by the Son.